iambeav2

OMG HELP ME W/ THIS COMPUTER!!!

I've got a Gateway GM 5420 running windows Vista. I'm fed up to this point. My DVD-RW burner blah blah blah, has just today decided to not be recognized. In the Device manager it says it's Code 37 (have already tried searching this to no avail). Device manager says "ATAPI DVD W DH16W1P ATA Device" Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37) Please please please help me.

Now, for my system restore, as I was gonna try and restore to last week b/c it worked then, I have this pop up....
"There was an unexpected error
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B)

System Restore will now close"

And never even opened...HELP!!!

B|B|B|B|B|B|
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Ha, funny, serious though. I'm trying to FIX this, not hide from it. I'm not familiar w/ Linux, or any other OS for that matter. This is the first prob w/ Vista I've had. I expect the wise cracks, but prefer to not have them and get some help.

BTW: Formatting the HD is the pussy's way out.:P

...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

sounds like there was a corruption on the hard drive. One of your restore points might still be intact but maybe not. You'd have to go back and check them all manually. If they are gone just set new restore points and hope they work later =D The dvd issue should be able to be solved with just downloading the latist driver from the manufacturer's website. Other than that, what Dave said.

Good luck

Ha, funny, serious though. I'm trying to FIX this, not hide from it. I'm not familiar w/ Linux, or any other OS for that matter. This is the first prob w/ Vista I've had. I expect the wise cracks, but prefer to not have them and get some help.

BTW: Formatting the HD is the pussy's way out.:P

You could always use a live CD distro of Linux, like Knoppix, to start to learn it. Aside from gaming, you'd be surprised at how pleased you'll be with Linux and what you can do for free (legally) with Linux that you have to pay for with NaziSoft. :P

I'll go 100% Linux before I load Vista on any of my machines...at least for the next 2-3 "service packs" they release to fix problems with sloppy code in Vista that should have been ironed out BEFORE they released it.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Ha, I did it and you didn't so :P...it's a bitch finding which part of your registry is fucked up!!

Step 1: Format your HD
Step 2: Throw away your Vista disk
Step 3: Install Linux

There, problem fixed. No more bullshit Vista problems.

I'll consider that when Linux will let me play my games and whatnot... whatnot being photo stuff. :P

And *no*, I'm not interested in learning GIMP...took me long enough to start getting used to PS!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706