xlh883

Packing techniques in writing

For informational purposes only, as I only know how pro-pack, does anyone know of any documents that explain the ins and outs and whys of different types of packing? I only know of flat, pro and psycho right now also. I am sure there are also other methods and variations.

I jsut want to know the differences without starting a debate here. Yes I have performed a very exhausting search of the archives finding mostly debate, not information.

Thanks,

David

Every Manufacturer has a recommended method for packing their parachutes and most are in there owners manual. There are as many variations as there are skydivers and few are written anywhere.

Pro packing is the most common method nowdays and like I said before, The variations are endless.

Is there something in particular you were wondering about, or just curious about it all??

THanks for the links. Made for some interesting reading. The psycho pack name is very misleading and sounds like a good way to pack for those of us with the new hard to pack canopies. I hate packing my 7-jump canopy. I have an Aerodyne Pilot 210. The packing manual pictures look like a propack, but they don't really say and I am not 100% sure about it.

David

My experience with Psycho Packing resulted in a lot of bulk in the center of the pack job and less towards the outsides. This resulted in difficult to close containers. I usually get more even fabric distribution using a more traidtional PRO Pack. There may be some recommendations out there to reduce this problem, but recognize that the Psycho Pack may take some practice as with other packing methods.

The thing that helped me the most as I was getting more comfortable with packing was spending a couple months working with professional packers and picking up their tips and techniques while I practiced to find which techniques worked for me.

If you frequent boogies, like Rantoul and Richmond Revisited, watch lots of different pack jobs, and ask questions. While busy packers may not have time to entertain these questions during the day, they are likely to go on at length about packing opinions after that last pack job.

PM me if you have more questions.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

My experience with Psycho Packing resulted in a lot of bulk in the center of the pack job and less towards the outsides.

That happened a lot to me too in the beginning (still does now and then). I just make the canopy a bit wider, by not folding the "ears" in as much and then I am more careful while folding/rolling it in by having one hand on the unrolled part and rolling with the other.

My experience with Psycho Packing resulted in a lot of bulk in the center of the pack job and less towards the outsides. This resulted in difficult to close containers. I usually get more even fabric distribution using a more traidtional PRO Pack...

Wolmari pack give even more even fabric distributionB|
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?