Richards

Homeless shelter being put in our neighborhood-How bad will it hurt our resale?

Not sure how your area differs from a place like Gastown in Vancouver BC. But never before have I seen so much affluence and so much poverty so close to each other. The area around Hastings and Main is truly the real life version of Dawn of the Dead. If you're concerned about your real estate investment, get out while you can. But you never know ... the residents of Gastown (the affluent ones) haven't appeared to be effected by the zombies ... yet.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The only thing you can expect in life is change..
Fifteen years ago i brought into a relative no go area...now my home is worth nearly four times what i originally paid for it and the area isn't so rough anymore...gone are the drug dens and the baseball bat culture that used to exist....
If you can back out,move to an area where there are signs of renovation.
Skips are a sign that things are on there way up.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

There are no social services near our neighborhood. A little further north or east would have put them close to a hospital, a meth clinice, substance abuse counselling centres. There are no such facilities near us.

That is strange. It would make more sense to put a shelter near the places that these people could walk to for services. I am sure a social worker did not make this decision, because a social worker would have proposed a shelter near services. Sorry that this is happening to you. Maybe the proposal will get knocked down if enough of the residents and businesses rally??
Jen

Not sure how your area differs from a place like Gastown in Vancouver BC. But never before have I seen so much affluence and so much poverty so close to each other. The area around Hastings and Main is truly the real life version of Dawn of the Dead. If you're concerned about your real estate investment, get out while you can. But you never know ... the residents of Gastown (the affluent ones) haven't appeared to be effected by the zombies ... yet.

Hard to say really. Gastown is very unique in that it is a tourist trap withinga couple of blocks of skid row. Unfortunately if we turn around and try to sell it right now it might raise some red flags to potential buyers. I am hoping that the small buffer of other condos and restearent/clubs between us and them is enough to absorb it, long enough for the area to hopefully prosper. My other plan is to work with any locals to make our neighborhood a very unfriendly place for panhandlers and vagrants (unless of course by some miracle the local pressure might get the city to reverse this ridiculous idea).
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

That is strange. It would make more sense to put a shelter near the places that these people could walk to for services. I am sure a social worker did not make this decision, because a social worker would have proposed a shelter near services. Sorry that this is happening to you. Maybe the proposal will get knocked down if enough of the residents and businesses rally??

I agree that the choice of location is strange. Sorry if the comment on social workers was taken the wrong way. I just find that often here in ontario (or canada as a whole) there seems to be an "in your face" nature to the anti-poverty industry/advocates. Rather than come up with workable compromises they seem to almost like setting up scenarios that will result in conflict between homeowners and street people. It seems they feel that by agrivating people they can bring attention to the issue, while gleefully martyring the homeless for their agenda. Many of the decisions seem to have no basis in reality and seem to be designed to force people to not ignore the homeless..."Don't want to see it; fine, we are putting it right in your backyard". While people on this thread on both sides of the debate seem to be offering pro/con based opinions and fair arguments, most of the OCAP (Ontario Coallition Against Poverty) types just live for confrontation. OCAP types seem more interested in being able to get indignant about "heartless greedy selfish fat-cat homeowners" when faced with needless confrontations they did not need to create, than they are about constructive solutions. My experience is that this usually hardens the hearts of otherwise compassionate people who get frustrated. It almost seems to turn the public against the whole homeless industry.

Anyways, I apologise if I rambled on there. I do appreciate your input on this, sorry if I come across as a bit frustrated, I have just seen how these type of scenario's can pan out and do not have a good feeling on this.

Anyway, thanks for your advice,

Cheers
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

That is really dependent upon the market and the area. We made $150,000 profit on a home we owned for four years. We bought at a good time and we sold at a good time.

Yep, even with the slump in the market now I can make that much if I sell my house and I've only lived here 3 1/2 years.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I guess you have a point huh? I mean how dare they expect you live in a big ugly home with running water, gas and electricity that's near a shelter. With fully stocked stores who knows how many quarters of a mile....maybe even miles? How dare they
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I guess you have a point huh? I mean how dare they expect you live in a big ugly home with running water, gas and electricity that's near a shelter. With fully stocked stores who knows how many quarters of a mile....maybe even miles? How dare they

Ssshhht.......Quiet.