marinho

Riggers, picture this!!!

dude, chill... err...

Who you calling dude, like you know.:P

What amazes me are the people who are willing to take chances with my rigging license. Without a license of their own and little if any knowledge on the subject they want to decide how a rigger should rig.

I am not sure how the Feds. would rule on something like this but from past dealings with them I know it could go either way. They may even come up with something we haven’t thought of yet. The one thing I do know for sure is how I will handle the situation if I am ever confronted with it. It may not be the only way but it is one I am sure is within the “Certificates: Privileges” of my rating.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If the FAA finds a rigger has repacked a reserve with a Cypres Battery that will expire in less than 120 day repack cycle, what do we tell them when they pull this out?

SSK letter head; Cypres News July 2006

"CYPRES-1 Battery: The CYPRES-1 battery assembly must be replaced every 2 years, after 500 jumps, or when the low battery error code (8998 or 8999) is displayed - whichever occurs first.

If you are returning a CYPRES-1 to SSK for any type of servicing and the battery has been in the CYPRES longer than 21 months (i.e., if there is less than 3 months left on the 2 year period), the battery will be replaced. Please remove and dispose of expired batteries from CYPRES prior to shipping to SSK."

This seems to suggest by Airtec/ SSK's standards the battery should always be in-date for the complete duration of the repack cycle.

Obviously this is not an issue with cypres-2.:)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

What amazes me are the people who are willing to take chances with my rigging license. Without a license of their own and little if any knowledge on the subject they want to decide how a rigger should rig.

One of the big "take-aways" l learned from earning my ticket was, "You don't have to pack something someone hands to you"... an option I've never exercised, but something I always feel good having in my hip-pocket if someone, as you say, tried to put me in a position to "to take chances with my rigging license".

;)

There is nothing magic about a repack cycle, a rigger can make it shorter if he chooses.
Jacques

You are absolutely right!!!! Packing a reserve is nothing magic. I always tell to everybody that a monkey can pack a parachute. The only difference is that he, the monkey, doesn't know how to deal when something looks wrong on any components of this same parachute and as long you give him bananas, he will just keep packing to get more bananas!!!!!;)
Gus Marinho

There is nothing magic about a repack cycle, a rigger can make it shorter if he chooses.
Jacques

You are absolutely right!!!! Packing a reserve is nothing magic. I always tell to everybody that a monkey can pack a parachute. The only difference is that he, the monkey, doesn't know how to deal when something looks wrong on any components of this same parachute and as long you give him bananas, he will just keep packing to get more bananas!!!!!;)

You willing to give me lessons? I prefer mangos to bananas.:ph34r:

:ph34r:boy
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I would never pack a reserve with an expired AAd or with expired batteries but , if the deadline is still relatively long due (we have 180 days repack cycle here) I will notify the customer and if it is shortly due, I will call him before repack.

Anyway a factor on which I have no control is the number of jumps made with the batteries set : how can I be sure that the jumper will cross the 500 jumps mark before the legal expiration date ? So if ever I only accept to pack reserves when I am 100 % sure that at the expiration dates all the conditions will be fulfilled, I have no other solution than looking for another job as I will never be sure that the rig, in 6 months time will not have made the 500 jumps.

JPD