weegegirl

Scuba Question

Hey Scuba Peeps!

Help me. I am trying to buy a persrciption scuba mask for a 6 year old who is very farsighted. I am finding this to be an IMPOSSIBLE task. I've now spoken with several dive shops and nobody seams to know what they are talking about.

Is it possible to have the lenses on the mask replaced with a positive persription lens? I don't want the sticky lenses because they are too difficult to see through and limit your periferal vision by a lot.

The script is approximately OD +4/ OS +4.25. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Is it possible to have the lenses on the mask replaced with a positive persription lens?

I've seen it done with skydiving goggles. I would think it could be done with a scuba mask. I would check with an eye doctor.

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I have a dive mask that has changable inserts, but it was in only 3 fixed powers of like -1, -3, -5.

I don't know about positive powers though... he may just have to wear contacts/glasses under a normal mask... I know people who dive still wearing their contacts, they just shut their eyes when they are clearing mask.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have a dive mask that has changable inserts, but it was in only 3 fixed powers of like -1, -3, -5.

I don't know about positive powers though... he may just have to wear contacts/glasses under a normal mask... I know people who dive still wearing their contacts, they just shut their eyes when they are clearing mask.

I'm trying to avoid the inserts. That's what the first dive shop ordered for us after they told us they would replace the entire lense. The inserts limit your peripheral vision and are very confusing for a kid to look through.

I dive with contacts, but I think he's still a little young for them. I've never seen a mask that fits over glasses, but I could have missed this? Do you know any specific brands that do this?

Thanks for the help!!

LAZER:D Don't go to the dive shop ask the local opticians. They told me to bring the mask in when i was thinking about it. It was expensive though. Contacts work fine for me.

http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

LAZER:D Don't go to the dive shop ask the local opticians. They told me to bring the mask in when i was thinking about it. It was expensive though. Contacts work fine for me.

Unfortunately the boy is just as blind as me and lazer is out of the question for our severity. We've tried local opicians with no luck, but I'm ready to try that route again. I would hate to think this is really impossible. [:/]

I have a prescription SCUBA mask. It is a Magnum 2 mask. I told my dealer my prescription and he ordered the mask. The mask with the prescription lens was under $100.00. You can call the Diving Bell Scuba Shop in Philadelphia at 1-800-430-0405
or 215-763–6868 his email is [email protected] The owner is in his 70’s so it might be better to call. If you do not want to order it from a Philadelphia dealer I am sure he can give you the information you need to take to a local dealer. Good luck

Yes, it's possible to have the lenses replaced. Lenscrafters will do it.

You have to find a mask that has lenses that are completely flat. The lenses can't wrap around. They have to be separate from the frame. Lenscrafters just pops out the lenses and copies the shape with the new ones.

When I bought my first mask I took my prescription to the dive shop I got certified at and they special ordered the lenses and somehow ground them into the mask. I think they had to do it that way because of the difference of prescriptions in my left and right eye.
Basically it looked like two oversized eye glass lenses attached to the inside of my mask.
It worked ok I would say but I've since just worn my contacts and no prescription lense in my mask since I can get away with that with not much problems.
I just hated taking out/putting back in my contacts on the boat.

It is possible for them to be fitted, but pretty unusual for a 6 yr. old to be doing scuba.....scuba sites on line will usually do it for ya though.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

It is possible for them to be fitted, but pretty unusual for a 6 yr. old to be doing scuba.....scuba sites on line will usually do it for ya though.

just for snorkelling right now, but with such an expensive item and a kid who can't wait to go deep, might as well have him fitted for the good stuff now.

i found out that the best option is getting lenses cut and bonded to the mask. somewhere between the small stick on lenses and the replacement lenses.

someone will make a lot of money if they can figure out how to make a decent prescription mask. my dive buddy is next to blind too. i need to convince him to get some contact lenses so i don't feel like a seeing eye dog anymore! :ph34r: