AEsco48

What hook knife to get?

This is the type of Hook knife to get and where to mount it.:)

Who makes and sells this setup?

It is a knife that comes in an ejection seat survival kit (seat pan) and I made the pocket.

I guess I'll to set my sights on another model then. lol.
I like the knife and mount. Just wish there was a similar setup that is easier to come across.
No chance of lifting one either: most peole in my neighborhood keep therir F16s locked at all times.:P

/*
This is my rig... There are many like it, but this one is mine.
*/

This is the type of Hook knife to get and where to mount it.:)

Hey spark's, Cal Trans called me, they need their overalls back tonight!!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:B|.

Mick.:|:ph34r:

Call them back and tell them to come get them, I am done with them.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Those orange USAF ejection seat hook knives have been available recently on eBay new in the orig box for around 10-12 dollars. Dont go nuts bidding them up, the seller has many and keeps listing them. I got mine for $12, quite a bargain considering the exceptional quality. Probably cost the govt $150, maybe more.

See: http://cgi.ebay.com/Parachute-Riser-Knife-USAF-Survival-New_W0QQitemZ280015190028QQihZ018QQcategoryZ588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are very high quality knives but also HEAVY. They come in an unusual pouch, not very useable for skydiving. The pouch has the knife enclosed in a stitched up container. Guess you pull the lanyard and break the lightweight cord stitching to extract the knife.
For anyone who can access specs by FSN the number is:

1670-00-779-1253LS POCKET CUTTER
F41608-91-C2345
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

in reply to "I think hook knives are a little over-rated.I mean if your not doing CRW you don't need the most expensive best knife out there.I think they're getting to fancy. Just get a knife that you don't have to spend to much money on. They all work. "

This type of 'anything goes' attitude can get a young bloke injured or dead pretty quick in skydiving.

Anyone brought up on cheap tools knows they always break when you need 'em.

If you want to carry a knife carry the best one you can.

Jack the rippers are still a good size to find and hold .
Watch the smaller ones .. too fiddly in an emergency .

Like with other EP's practice makes perfect.

but also HEAVY

I just weighed one and it was 1.9 oz. or 53.8 grams. That includes 20 inches of ½” Type III tape and a snap.

I may just be me but I don’t consider that HEAVY.

They are very high quality knives

You are right they are a high quality knife. They are high carbon steel and very sharp.

Guess I overestimated the heft. Less then two oz is sure not heavy. I'd say the quality of these USAF hook knives exceeds the razor blade types by quite a bit insofar as ability to keep on cutting after having the cutting edge assaulted by repeated cuts of abrasive Spectra line etc. Wish Sparky would sell his cool custom pouches for these surplus hook knives. The guy selling these knives says that the pouch they come with was designed for mounting on canopy risers, but I doubt it.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Wish Sparky would sell his cool custom pouches for these surplus hook knives.

Ask a local rigger, they are fairly easy to make.

The AF flight suit has a pocket on the left leg that can be used for a knife if not wearing a G suit. If in a G suit they are in the survival kit or seat pan.

I guess that ejection seat survival stuff (even down to the hook knife design and fishing kit) is well thought out. I ran into a skydiver who was an active duty Navy S 3 Viking pilot. He and his crew punched out of an uncontrollable S 3 over water. It was, despite all his skydiving knowledge, a very humbling experience. Easy to drown, huge compression forces on ejection, and many other things that made it a jump you'd never ever want to repeat. As I recall all four survived and he was battling with the Navy on whether they would assign pilot error or mechanical fault as the cause.