skysprite

Harry Potter!

I saw the movie Saturday night. Amazingly enough, there were no lines, no waiting and the theater wasn't filled up. Even though they had massive showings of it, I thought surely at 7:10 p.m., the place would be packed.

I agree that the editing and cuts to different scenes were "iffy."

But doesn't anyone want to talk about any of the cool effects? Although perhaps it didn't mirror the book and left a lot of information out, I believe the movie was entertaining in parts.

Trust me...we've all seen worse! [:/]

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I would imagine (ok, hope) that the DVD release will include a lot of what was cut out.

One can hope, but I doubt it. These are like LOTR - it would be great if they could include the entire content in a "director's cut" of like 4 hours, but that's a lot to ask for in 7 movies each. I think LOTR was a special case.

Maybe someone will do that in the future - OOTP was a lot like the first Dune movie - it was disjointed as they tried to hit the highlights of the plot and not miss any of the primary content - it couldn't flow because they kept it under 3 or 4 hours in length. But, later someone else did Dune in full length. We could hope for that. Maybe a TV miniseries. I'd think an entire season could cover the entire story. That would be cool.

Edit: Tigra - It could have been worse. They could have used a narrator to try to smooth over the transitions and add summary explanations in lieu of plot. I hate that technique and some directors think it's neat.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The one effect that bugs me in the series is the "crossing the streams" effect when one high powered wizard fights another whiile using wands.

WTF is all that magical goo that keeps dripping down from where the two streams hit each other?

I'd rag on a couple of other artistic choices, but there are still some folks that haven't seen the movie yet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I would imagine (ok, hope) that the DVD release will include a lot of what was cut out.

One can hope, but I doubt it. These are like LOTR - it would be great if they could include the entire content in a "director's cut" of like 4 hours, but that's a lot to ask for in 7 movies each. I think LOTR was a special case.

Maybe someone will do that in the future - OOTP was a lot like the first Dune movie - it was disjointed as they tried to hit the highlights of the plot and not miss any of the primary content - it couldn't flow because they kept it under 3 or 4 hours in length. But, later someone else did Dune in full length. We could hope for that. Maybe a TV miniseries. I'd think an entire season could cover the entire story. That would be cool.

Edit: Tigra - It could have been worse. They could have used a narrator to try to smooth over the transitions and add summary explanations in lieu of plot. I hate that technique and some directors think it's neat.

There is an extended DVD version of Two Towers that is fantastic! It's like 4 hours long, but fills in alot of the story. Hopefully they'll do something similar on DVD release, but I doubt it.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

Oh I know it could have been worse, and I did enjoy parts of the movie. I just thought all in all, it was very disappointing and some of the liberties the director took were just plain wrong. I was able to watch and enjoy all of the others without nit picking!

But, its also probably not the best or easiest book to make a movie out of- I think its kind of a bridge between the 1st 4 and the final 2. In this book, the character development is more important than the plot and sub plots- the kids especially do an awful lot of growing up in this book. That didn't translate well at all on the screen.

There is an extended DVD version of Two Towers that is fantastic! It's like 4 hours long,

all three have them. 12 hours total for LOTR

Tigras post above is pretty dead on. movies just don't do character development like we'd all want. This movie went for plot summary instead and we lost some stuff that makes the story charming for all of us.

Still glad they didn't go with the "and JK Rowling as the Narrator" route. blech

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But doesn't anyone want to talk about any of the cool effects? [:/]

Not really. SFX are normal in movies now. Long gone are the days of a rare green screen on a movie set...most people know what a good effect now when they see it....and most can point out bad ones.

Ever since movies like Two Towers made a CG character part of the movie instead of just eye-candy, the bar was raised. Even an eye-candy movie like Transformers did a good job of making the robots into part of the story along.

So, I'm no longer impressed that a multi billion dollar movie studio was able to produce good looking computre effects. I'd rather see a good story.