PsychoBroJosh

7 WFFC Vigil (mis?) fires on the Jet

>There is still the greater issue of whether the reference ground elevation gets reset . . .

Per Cliff it can take up to 30 seconds on the Cypres. I don't know what the shortest time is though.

>Because my old cypres read 0 after the jump, I think it did not
>recalibrate, as I believe the display would have shown something
>different had I landed 300 feet above what it thought was the ground.

That's not an altitude display; it displays the landing area offset.

>There is still the greater issue of whether the reference ground elevation gets reset . . .

Per Cliff it can take up to 30 seconds on the Cypres. I don't know what the shortest time is though.

>Because my old cypres read 0 after the jump, I think it did not
>recalibrate, as I believe the display would have shown something
>different had I landed 300 feet above what it thought was the ground.

That's not an altitude display; it displays the landing area offset.

I understand it is not an altitude display, my memory of the cypres manual was that if you landed at an elevation significantly different than the unit expected, that something other than 0 would display.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

So, instead of just speculating, I bothered to read the manual, and apparently I was wrong to assume that 0 on the display after the jump meant that it had not recalibrated to the -300 feet encountered in the plane. The manual makes no mention of what might happen (what will the display show) if you land above the ground reference altitude, it just says that you should turn the unit off/on again before the next jump.

If, however, you do apply a preset offset, but the offset was not accurate, then per page 23 of the online version of the manual, the cypres display would change from displaying the preset offset and instead show 0 within 30 seconds of landing, unless the landing site offset was not accurately enough, then it will "not change to 0 right away". The manual doesn't say how accurately the elevation offset must be or how long 'not right away' is.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There is still the greater issue of whether the reference ground elevation gets reset, as on the first load that went down 300 feet for a significant period before take off. I wonder how long is required for the system to 'recalibrate' to what it might think is a new DZ ground elevation/pressure.

I think this is what needs to be checked out ASAP. Maybe it's a good thing that the Vigil's fired as it keeps the jumper grounded. Cypres users continue on with the jump not knowing that thier units have recalibrated. I own a Cypres by the way so i am not taking sides here.

is there confidence that the C2 will work properly in a no pull situation, or just that it won't fire on the plane?

If it detects a weird situation (like WT Thailand) it will SHUT DOWN for that jump. So it WON'T fire in a no-pull situation on that same jump! Also you will need to turn it back on after said jump of course.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>If it detects a weird situation (like WT Thailand) it will SHUT DOWN for that jump.

Per Cliff S:

"actually the CYPRES-2 remains on (DOES NOT shut itself off) and it is
still functional, except it might have set itself to the lower
altitude" (if the cabin is pressurized to below landing altitude)

>If it detects a weird situation (like WT Thailand) it will SHUT DOWN for that jump.

Per Cliff S:

small correction - I have an old cypres.

Per Cliff S:

Who's Cliff S?

If I remember right, it was Kai from Airtec who told me that?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I was on this load, it was 4 or 5 vigils and the plane was on the ground when they fired. The pilot tried to turn the AC on causing the cabin to pressurize.

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!