Cashmanimal

Practical joke-- jump 100

SO, my buddies' 100th is in the morning, first jump of the day. He is from out of town, so when he comes down he stays at my house. And I have formulated a nasty plan...

So after interviewing many people, the final plan is to fill his canopy with baby powder. My understanding at this point is the best place to put it is in the tail as you pull it up to wrap it around the slider grommets during the pack job. However, I have also been hearing the slider itself is a nice place as well....

Anybody else here have some experience with this? Of course, I assume just about anywhere it goes it's gonna make a pretty nice cloud on opening. But I hear putting a ton of powder in the tail even causes some to fall on him....who knows? I don't. But any input on fun (but safe, of course) pranks would be greatly appreciated!

The plan is when he gets here tonight to tell him to bring all his stuff inside to help us get moving faster in the morning. When he goes to sleep (which he will) I am gonna take his rig downstairs, unpack and load it with the powder.

His rig is my ex-rig, so no worries about me packing it for him (old Saber 1... I showed HIM how to pack it for the non-whiplash flavor of opening.)

And of course, plenty o pies will be present. And beer. Any helpful and fun hints/suggestions? Thanks!
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Any helpful and fun hints/suggestions?

ya... stay away from me and my rig when I go to do my 100th:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Wouldn't work with you.....I've seen ya pack! :S:S:S

I'll have to remember to repack yours next time I'm out there>:(
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Naa...I like to jump more than ONCE a day, your 5 hours pack jobs wouldn't work for me! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Naa...I like to jump more than ONCE a day, your 5 hours pack jobs wouldn't work for me! :ph34r:

You know, I gotta hand it to ya...

For an old guy, you're pretty quick:ph34r::P

Craig reminded me the other day....tryin' to stuff the bag is what got ya smoking again! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Ya, ya...

Don't you have a bear pie or a frog pond to go clean up or something:ph34r:

just a thought bud, you cant figure any other practical jokes that don't involve your friends equipment.

what if he sees the cloud of powder on opening and chops his main thinking he's got problems or something loses his canopy or worse, can you live with that for the sake of a joke???

not a good idea IMO, and friend or not if you did that to my canopy I'd kick you really hard in the nuts and let you think about it for a while.;)

youre fucking with life saving equipment other than your own on a guy with 100jumps WTF are you thinking???

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

An old-timer told me that back in the days of rounds, a common practical joke was to put a strip of toilet paper in between each gore, running from apex to skirt. Ideally, the toilet paper should match the color of the fabric. Then when he would look up to check his canopy, he would see a couple dozen pieces of fabric drifting away.:ph34r:

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Damned good point! Not something to be messin' with. Years ago, someone put playing cards between the folds (flat pack) of our DZO's main. On opening, he looked-up and thought his main blew-up and chopped it. Even though, he had a couple thousand jumps to his credit at the time... it really wasn't funny. He did land safely and the guy who did it got a serious ass chewin'.

Chuck

Craig reminded me the other day....tryin' to stuff the bag is what got ya smoking again! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Ya, ya...

Frog pond is FINALLY empty...if it would quit raining, we'd get it painted! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

just a thought bud, you cant figure any other practical jokes that don't involve your friends equipment.

what if he sees the cloud of powder on opening and chops his main thinking he's got problems or something loses his canopy or worse, can you live with that for the sake of a joke???

not a good idea IMO, and friend or not if you did that to my canopy I'd kick you really hard in the nuts and let you think about it for a while.;)

youre fucking with life saving equipment other than your own on a guy with 100jumps WTF are you thinking???

hmm.... you know, it's sad that after talking to stacks of people, from tandem masters, AFFI and countless others.... you are the first to point this out.

On one hand the toilet paper idea was hilarious, but yeah, it seems to have the same cutaway potential. And the playing card idea is great too... but, proven backfire already.

I still have full intentions of doing it, because this guy actually kinda likes when he has dirt in his canopy and it puffs out on opening (we jump in the desert, it happens a lot). I am going to bank on the odds that he will see a plume of white and come to the conclusion that his orange/purple/green/black canopy has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and he won't chop it away. He is not very spastic, and will take the second or two it will take to figure out what is going on.

Hopefully I don't end up paying for a reserve re-pack.....

This is purely based off an "I know this guy's personality" decision. After having this pointed out, I will now be less inclined to encourage others to do it to people i don't know....
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

try talking to a rigger, tell him your plan and what powder exactly you plan on using.

will it discolor or have any adverse effect on the canopy fabric. an outcome that would take away from the value of someones property other than your own.

cant imagine any rigger tellin you that it's a great idea. let me know if you find one.

dude by 200 jumps you oughta start pulling reserve handles as your buddys clear the plane thats a pretty good one too. I'll make sure and never jump on a load youre on. your thought process is not sound.
Perry Farrell

will it discolor or have any adverse effect on the canopy fabric

Yes. It will have a hint of white for about 5 minutes until he lands in the desert again, where it will quickly return to a nice tinge of brown... just like the other 365 days of desert jumping. Long term effects, it may smell like baby powder for two or three jumps after that.

I figure it can't be all that bad--made a great absorbent for my hot air balloon any time unwanted liquids spilled on it. Continues to be a common practice today.

cant imagine any rigger tellin you that it's a great idea. let me know if you find one.

He pointed out that baby powder would be a wiser choice than our original idea, which was confetti. Noting that confetti would be physical trash that we would be spreading, instead of a powder which will dissipate, as well as CAUSE NO LONG TERM EFFECTS, such as finding confetti in every pack job for the next year.

by 200 jumps you oughta start pulling reserve handles as your buddys clear the plane thats a pretty good one too. I'll make sure and never jump on a load youre on. your thought process is not sound.

You're right. Absolutely. I have no business whatsoever in this sport, and was an idiot for ever thinking I did. I will go ahead and cut this post short so I can hurry over to the classifieds and post my gear. Hurry, while it's cheap. Unless you want first dibs on it? Let me know, we can work out a deal.

I'll make sure and never jump on any load you're on. I'm am obviously not good enough to jump with you, and you're head is too big to allow any other jumpers on the load, and I actually find pleasure in jumping with other people.

I am sure if there was any fatal or significant danger here (and to clarify in THIS post instead of replying to another one of yours, I mean significant in the sense of more dangerous than any other calculated risk-- such as, you know, skydiving) that one of the many people on these forums with higher knowledge and authority, of which I know a good portion read this, would have said something along the lines of "don't do this." Instead, I am sure it passed over their head as something that has been done many times in many different ways and they could care less if somebody get covered in white powder.

But I nearly forgot there for a second that my thought process is not sound, and that I am completely wrong.

From now on, I will clear all my dive flows with the 110 jump skygod internet wonder.

FYI I thought your post raised some good questions that ARE useful, and did in fact have a coherent point. I appreciate your concern. It was your sarcastic tone that tips the scale. But for your own sake, never, ever, insult anybody personally that you do not know.

Try talking to a rigger, tell him your plan and what powder exactly you plan on using, or perhaps even ask what he would suggest.

Will it discolor or have any adverse effect on the canopy fabric? Any outcome that would take away from the value of someones property other than your own?

Wow, thanks for your input. What a thoughtful and helpful post. As a matter of fact, I have spoken with a rigger that points out no long term adverse effects to the canopy, it's fabric, it's FLIGHT OR OPENING CHARACTERISTICS.

See? Things could have gone a lot smoother and you wouldn't have had to have made a complete public dunce out of yourself.

Try to avoid the personal attacks where they are not necessary. It's just, immature. Internet power trips provide no real constructive... anything. Except maybe a bit of a boost to your unfortunately swollen ego.

So notice what I have done here-- no claims to being better than you, better than anybody else. This post was an inquiry. If I posted this and received:

"As a rigger, I would advise against this because..."

-or-

"This is what will happen, and why you shouldn't do it."

Then I would have no problem landing and grabbing a pie and smashing it in his face. However, I DID receive (along the line of):

"We did (this) once, and THIS happened. It's is possible, but may not be a good idea."

-as well as-

"(This other thing) used to get done all the time. It was funny, and everybody had a good laugh."

This is what is referred to as "constructive" comments and/or criticism. They are actually quite useful if you ever get the chance to give or receive some personally.

Once again, your post contained what I appreciate, covered in a thick layer of total ass clown.

SO... does anybody have any personal experiences, suggestions, or questions that will not bring on an onslaught? and that is a serious question. I don't want one guy to ruin an opportunity to experience and learn things vicariously through other people. That includes other fun ideas as well...

thanks!

i have to agree with porpoise on the safety issue, but on a different note. What if he is allergic to baby powder, or has asthma and the powder could cause him to have an attack?

In college, while a girl was in the telephone booth, a few of us using hairdryers blew baby powder in the booth to make it smokey. She had asthma, and was short of breath from it. Just something to think about.

alright then so were square. glad you got me straight.

I'll just go on then being the skygod assclown internet HJW you got me for, of course that is if I dont slip, trip, and bust my lip due to my big head throwing me off balance. either way I'm still gonna go ahead and respect my friends and other jumpers gear.

hope your friend finds it as funny as you do, your tampering with his gear.

my swollen ego, I tell ya:D

Perry Farrell

Well, you see, the deal being that my respect is stemming from looking into this before going "oh yeah, this'll make me laugh." It's just a shame that seeking information from what has potential to be a valuable source brings a personal attack upon myself. What if I was ignorant enough to just do things without looking into them?

Or maybe I got that way because every time I look into something i get personally offended and attacked.

It was my understanding by talking to who I know that this is something that has been done many times before, with no repercussions. Our ability to access a community where I could potentially receive input from thousands of people across the country is invaluable. I don't understand why some people feel the need to rain down their power trips.

A respectable person says "Touching somebody else's gear isn't a good idea, I would suggest against it." versus "You're an idiot for thinking this is an okay thing to do and you suck and should probably just kill yourself."

Fooling with someones gear is a bad idea.

I wouldn't use baby powder either.

Would you have a suggestion as to something better?

And I agree fooling with other's gear isn't a good idea, and I wouldn't be considering it if he hadn't just purchased it from me...

i have to agree with porpoise on the safety issue, but on a different note. What if he is allergic to baby powder, or has asthma and the powder could cause him to have an attack?

In college, while a girl was in the telephone booth, a few of us using hairdryers blew baby powder in the booth to make it smokey. She had asthma, and was short of breath from it. Just something to think about.

1) It's too bad... that had potential as well!

2) Great point! While I can confirm he does NOT have asthma from previous conversations (step-sister has asthma) I am not sure if he is allergic to anything. I will try and find out tonight.... have to slip it into some casual conversation somehow.

Thanks!

Fooling with someones gear is a bad idea.

I wouldn't use baby powder either.

Baby powder is unlikely to hurt anything... but messin' with someone else's gear IS likely to get the mess-ie hurt, no matter how unlikely its not to cause a real problem... and you'd deserve it.
:|

Why don't you just hit him with a pie after he does his 100th jump and then make him go buy beer.
;)
... stick to the classics.
B|

Ya, ya...

Frog pond is FINALLY empty...if it would quit raining, we'd get it painted! :S

yes, but what of the frogs?