Skolls081102

New Jersey Sucks.......Rant!!!

I know, I know. It's the "armpit" of America. And as much as I complain, I kind of like where I live. However, my township just did the reassesment (sp) for tax purposes, and I got the great news today. My taxes went up about $1000/year. I went from right around $2700 to $3700. And of course, since the statement just came out now, I have to pay the $1000 difference within the next 2 quarters (Aug., and Nov.) So basically I have to come up with an additional $250/month for the next four months, then next year I will have t come up with an additional $80 (and change)/month for my mortgage payment. $80 doenst sound like alot, but add in my son starting preschool, and all of a sudden, I'm ina bad spot. I'm not saing I'm going to go broke on this. But it will hurt the pocket.
So needless to say, I'm a little pissed on the extra money. What makes it even worse.....there goes my Jiu Jitsu training. Theres no way I can justify $110/month for my training with the extra bills coming in. So I have to scrap that (and pay $50 for cancelling my membership) which I am very unhappy about. For those of you that know me (from posting on here) I have been trying to get to jump weight for about 3 years now. Jiu Jitsu was it. It made me change my eating habits, I was having a blast working out twice a week. I'm not saying I'm going back to my old eating habits, but I'm going to lose the great training I was getting (which obviously helped me lose my 43 pounds to date). I'm 7 pounds from jump weight- I can only imagine how slow this will go now. FUCK!!!!!!! Sorry- I just feel like screaming.
I fucking hate New Jersey!!!

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Just moved here last October and I have to say I feel the same. That is what keeps me from buying a home here is the property taxes. I really dont want to but as soon as my wife has her resume built to where she needs it and she gets an offer back in Colorado we will be leaving. It's to bad because we are having a lot of fun out here. New Jersey is not that bad. Everybody judges NJ on what they see in Newark. I was the same until I moved here. I hope things work out for you.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

only $3700? Then don't move to Texas! Try 5G per/yr for a $150K home....... now that sucks.....oh, but I agree that NJ is the armpit though!

Eeek! Here is CO it is $2K/yr for a $240K house. Now what was it I always hear Texans bragging about? Oh, yeah; No state income tax. Heck, my state income tax was less than your property tax.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

only $3700? Then don't move to Texas! Try 5G per/yr for a $150K home....... now that sucks.....oh, but I agree that NJ is the armpit though!

Conn. is worse. My mother in law had a home in Stratford. The house was on a 1/8 acre lot, just 1 1/2 baths, 3 bedroom with garage and basement and 2nd floor. Try $7000.

She lives in Myrtle Beach, SC now. 1/2 acre and bigger house for 1/8th the tax.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's not just New Jersey, it happens other places too. I have a fixed rate mortgage, but every year I get a bill to pay an extra $400-$500 because they didn't hold out enough in Escrow for the property taxes and then my monthly bill still goes up every year. I'm paying about $100 more a month than I was when I bought my house 3 years ago and it's all because of property taxes.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Where in the FREAK are you getting martial arts training of any kind for only $110/month?!?! :o:o:o

Anyhoo, I am not an accountant so get some professional counsel on this advice, but if you are receiving a tax return in April, you can give yourself a 'raise' by increasing your monthly exemptions from your employer to give you a tiny bit more cash flow on a monthly basis.

Just remember that though if you tend to count on a tax return...

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I train (or should I say did train) under Josh Madama- he's a Matt Serra Brown Belt. He only started his business about 10 months ago, so he started out pricing low to get people in. If you started at the lower price, you stay there, even when he raises the price. He's a really great instructor, and it sucks that I have to leave, because I really love training. I look forward to it. But thats the way shit flows.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

agreed... work wanted (wants) me to relocate there..

I told them 20% raise OVER Cost of Living difference and an extra 2 weeks off just to get the hell away....

"you could have just said 'no' " :D

It's not just New Jersey, it happens other places too. I have a fixed rate mortgage, but every year I get a bill to pay an extra $400-$500 because they didn't hold out enough in Escrow for the property taxes and then my monthly bill still goes up every year. I'm paying about $100 more a month than I was when I bought my house 3 years ago and it's all because of property taxes.

Whenever the word "escrow" comes up in a mortgage, just say "NO!". It is a savings account with NO INTEREST! You are money ahead by calculating what you will need annually, then dividing by 12 and putting that money in a savings account every month. Then draw from the account when you need to pay insurance or taxes.

I can't count the number of times I've heard friends bemoaning the headaches caused by mortgage companies failing to pay taxes or insurance bills when they were due. Then they must act as an intermediary between the finance company and the assessor (or insurance company), until the matter is finally resolved.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I lived there for 5 years. 5 years too long, but that's why i moved out to Alaska! Well, that and Alaska is the greatest state ever!!! NJ is ridiculous. I had no intention of buying a house with taxes as high as they are, and they just keep getting higher. It's not worth it, and I'm glad that I didn't bother to do it. Although, it IS a good investment, buying a house and selling it, since the market is real high out there. I just wasn't interested in dealing with that garbage. I don't understand why everyone wants to live in that dump! Such a pain...
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM