skyrookie

Heatwave 190

Hey all...

I'm looking downsize in the near future, although it may be over the winter.

I have a Heatwave 190 (generic Stiletto), I got it new and have put almost 200 jumps on it. It has a DOM 10/97 on it.

What's my Heatwave worth?

I'm looking for a similar style canopy, maybe a Stiletto or other nine cell with similar flight characteristics. Of course the next size being a 170. I'd like it to be about similar age (jump #'s). Also I love/depend on the colored line attachments for packing. I think the Stiletto has all white, but my Heatwave has different color for each line group. Makes packing a lot faster! Tongue

Thanks!

I'll second the pilot rec. Coloured lines and a nice canopy too. And assuming your jump jumbers are current, I'd hope canopy skills are well above average if you're going onto a 1.45 loading.

As for doing that downsize and staying with the full on ellipticals, well, :|. Neither your jumps/year nor total jumps would mark a Stil170 out as 'suitable'. You might have been been absolutely fine on the Heatwave. Don't push the luck further though...some people have been rather less fortunate, even under very conservatively loaded squares...

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Some guys from the DZ were offering to sell me a Heatwave 190 and a wings container with a raven 180 reserve for $1500. Do you think this would be dangerous for a beginner? I have 16 jumps. They said I would need to do some high hop n pops to get used to the elliptical canopy.

Talk to your instructors and pick a more suitable design.

You don't want to buy an elliptical for your first canopy.

Some guys from the DZ were offering to sell me a Heatwave 190 and a wings container with a raven 180 reserve for $1500. Do you think this would be dangerous for a beginner? I have 16 jumps. They said I would need to do some high hop n pops to get used to the elliptical canopy.

Uh.......
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

My first canopy off student status jump 26 was on a heatwave 190 loaded 1:1 I absolutely loved it sometimes it opened a bit hard but I liked it so much that I bought a 2002 heatwave 135 which I load at 1.4:1 everyone says your not supposed to fly ellipticals with few jump numbers but ive jumped nothing else, I wont jump squares again, also they used to warn people about jumping squares when there used to jumping rounds.

It is different than what your used to and is not most docile canopy you have to fly it from opening to landing, they have excellent flare and great landings and turn on a dime.

If you do decide to jump it be careful learn how to fly it. Talk to your instructors have one of them jump it and give you thier opinion if you should jump it or not. Its going to be a blast though.

I also have a stilletto 120 my 135 heatwave flies just like the stilletto maybe even better.

Be safe Be smart

Whether other jumpers survived safely under an elliptical for their first canopy is irrelevant IMO.

There's a massive range of suitable first canopies avaliable, new or used... you would be crazy not to stick with tried and true designs for newer jumpers... the heatwave isn't one of them.

Same answer as the other site

No, it's not a good first canopy. Also you don't provide enough information such as weight.

A 190 for a 150 pounder vs a 190 for a 185 pounder is a huge difference. It's still not a good first canopy.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto