BillyVance

Child Drowning Prevention - amazing video

http://www.childdrowningprevention.com/index.html

I so have to take my girl to swimming classes! :o I don't have a pool, but there is a lake inlet behind my house. This is really amazing. I did not know babies could do it. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's cool! :)
My boys spend tons of time in the pool and can swim if they were to fall in. They like to jump more than swim, but they CAN do it if necessary.

That was crucial for us. Too many Autistic kids drown because they have an attraction to water but cannot swim...:(

-On another note, years ago, friends up here were all enrolling their little kids (2-4 years old) in some type of 'drown-proofing' type swimming class that was supposed to be just brutal. I guess they actively pushed these little kids in the deep end of the pool, and then of course kids splutter and cough and gag, but after a few times of that, they actually teach themselves how to swim.

I refused to put my daughter in that class because I honestly thought that she could learn to swim without the psychological damage of having a trusted adult throw you in to 'drown'. :|

Being 'caught off guard' and falling into water is different, they said, and I'll agree...but I just didn't think that fear was necessary personally.

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

When I was a toddler, my mother would always tell me not to go near the pool, because I'd drown. However, she neglected to explain what "Drown" meant, so I guess I thought it meant the same thing as "swim."

When I was three, she was lounging next to the pool, and I yelled "Hey mom, watch me drown!" and jumped in the deep end.

Needless to say, she was given a bit of a shock by that. :P I guess I've always been sort of an instigator.

7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Irrational parent moment - I cried watching that video. I wanted to leap through the screen and pick that child up before going in the water. Then, after 5 MINUTES OF FLOATING THERE!! I just thought about my son (13 months) and he hasn't gone through any training like that. I've had him in the pool and we kicked around but never taught him to float on his back. Didn't know you could. I cried because I feel like I have not done what I need to for my son. I told Wendy about this thread and that we need to get him in a class asap.

ISR is pretty cool, but the only thing that's really going to save a kid in the water is adult supervision.

From the CDC
# Whenever young children are swimming, playing, or bathing in water, make sure an adult is constantly watching them. By definition this means that the supervising adult should not read, play cards, talk on the phone, mow the lawn, or do any other distracting activity while watching children.
# Never swim alone or in unsupervised places. Teach children to always swim with a buddy.
# Keep small children away from buckets containing liquid: 5-gallon industrial containers are a particular danger. Be sure to empty buckets when household chores are done.
# To prevent choking, never chew gum or eat while swimming, diving, or playing in water.
# Learn to swim. Enroll yourself and/or your children aged 4 and older in swimming classes. Swimming classes are not recommended for children under age 4.
# Learn CPR (cardio-pulmonary resusitation). This is particularly important for pool owners and individuals who regularly participate in water recreation.
# Do NOT use air-filled swimming aids (such as "water wings") in place of life jackets or life preservers with children. These can give parents and children a false sense of security and increase the risk of drowning.
# Check the water depth before entering.

My own tip: When at a pool party, assign each adult a 30 minute slot of water-watching. That way, there is one or two people assigned to watch the water while the others socialize, so you don't have a group of adults in a conversation all thinking somebody else is watching the kids while nobody really is and a child is drowning. Paolo Ayala, age 7, drowned at a pool party surrounded by adults standing around chatting on the deck. "Research from the National SAFE KIDS Campaign shows that nearly 9 out of 10 children between ages 1 and 14 who drowned were under supervision when they died. The study defined supervision as being in someone's care, not necessarily in direct line of sight." - cnn

that is the coolest shit ever!!!! My mom put me and my brother in the pool before i could ride a bike.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin