kelel01

Stick shifts are stupid

I find that the manual transmissions on bikes doesn't feel like a burden to use compared to a car. I think it is much better to just go up and down like on a bike instead of following an H pattern. I also think that shifting is better accomplished with the foot as on a bike, and that control of the clutch and throttle are better suited for the hands as on a bike.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

1st gear, pop the clutch and awaaay you go.

Second gear works better for my car. ;)

Probably right. It's been a long time since we drove a stick. We're old and memory is the second thing to go[:/]

BTW Lisa Have I already asked you how taLL you are:P

Gotta start keeping a list, or get HH to add height to profile:ph34r:

Why would 2nd gear work better for starting out? The only thing I can think of is if 1st gear is extremely low, as on some 4 wheel drive trucks that have a low range, or if you're really reving it up and dropping the clutch - wanting to prevent a lot of tire spin.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I find that the manual transmissions on bikes doesn't feel like a burden to use compared to a car. I think it is much better to just go up and down like on a bike instead of following an H pattern. I also think that shifting is better accomplished with the foot as on a bike, and that control of the clutch and throttle are better suited for the hands as on a bike.

That's nice. :D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I had a stick for years and just about 4 months ago I bought my first automatic. Hang in there and you will get the hang of it.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I had a stick for years and just about 4 months ago I bought my first automatic.

Isn't it great? My current car is my first automatic and i love it. I'm glad i can drive a stick, and even still enjoy driving other people's, but for me i think i'll always buy automatics from now on.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Manual trannies are much more popular in Europe, the opposite in the states. Some make conclusions about yanks based on that preference that are completely unjustified. :D

Of course, I'm only saying that because I just spent an hour and a half practicing in a parking lot, and I still can't go in reverse. >:(:D

And I bet it has synchro on all forward gears too! You should try a crash box sometime.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I had a stick for years and just about 4 months ago I bought my first automatic.

Isn't it great? My current car is my first automatic and i love it. I'm glad i can drive a stick, and even still enjoy driving other people's, but for me i think i'll always buy automatics from now on.

I love myhaving an automatic car and not having to shift all the time.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

WTF is so great about a stupid manual transmission?

Suck it up, cupcake and learn it! :P You'll be glad you did. Suppose a friend or relative has an emergency and the only vehicle available has a stick shift and YOU have to drive.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I know a mechanical engineer that can't drive a stick, so he can't drive his wife's car! He asked me one day to move the car to the other side of the driveway for him, he couldn't even do that much. He is a weird guy, not typical for mechanical engineers.

I agree with Kallend, you haven't really experienced a stick shift until you've driven one with no synchronizers. I first learned to drive a manual trannie on motorcycles, but my indoctrination to a stick shift in a 4 wheel vehicle was a '64 Chevy truck 3 speed on the column with no synchro for 1st or reverse. It also didn't have power steering or brakes, you really had to work.

BTW Lisa Have I already asked you how taLL you are you

:D WTF is up with your fetish with how tall women are??? :D

If you gotta ask you wouldn't understand:P

Short guys like women whose boobies are at their eye level.

Walt

I'm shallow, i would never date a guy shorter than me. But since i'm 5'6" i don't really have much of a problemo with that.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Walt

Hi W

Big boobs aren't my thing. It ruins the clean lines and makes them nice TaLL ladies look shorter & top heavy.

These days anyone can have big boobs but you can't buy taLL, posture, grace, etc.:P

Eat you hearts out tall guy's[:/]

If you're going to buy a stick shift, you might as well drive yourself over to the nearest pawn shop and trade in your computer for a typewriter...:|:|:|

stick shifts work best in certain cars, better than automatics. The worst cars for automatics are the 4 cyl weak-ass engines. You can get a car to do what you want it to do when you want it to do, with a stick shift.

Now if you have a strong 6 or 8 cyl engine, usually automatic will do fine.

Just my opinion...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Walt

Thanks for explaining it :D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I'm shallow, i would never date a guy shorter than me. But since i'm 5'6" i don't really have much of a problemo with that.

Sunshine

So If I was 4'9" you wouldn't go out with me:(