LisaH

Birthday gift suggestions for a 12 year old girl

I was thinking an American Express gift card that she can use anywhere.

She is the niece of a close friend and I really don't know what her interests are anymore besides boys. :S They grow up so fast.

I miss taking her to the zoo, but she is "like, too grown up for that now."
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I think the gift card is a fine idea. She can spend it any way that she wants and you don't have to worry about getting her something she doesn't like. :)

Is $50 too much? I want her to have fun with it. :)
Edited to add: Or not enough.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

What Nightingale said. It's not so much about what's better, but what is more widely accepted. Visa is accepted at more places than Amex.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

A lot of places don't take AmEx, but I prefer it anyway. Better customer service if there is a problem.

I agree.

So what else can I do? I want her to have free run of every store.

It will be her first shopping trip on her own. And I want to give her the experience of paying by herself.

(I will be outside of every door. :)
Nope, edited to add, behind her in every line.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Make a day out of it. Go shopping, go have lunch. Go have girl time.;)

Thats what I'm talking about!! Do the 'Ladies Lunch'...both of you get dressed up and go for fine dining (LUNCH..the bill will come to about $50 if you splurge) and the memory--priceless!

I'd do the lunch first..and then window shopping. You don't really have to spend a lot of money to make it special. Do a museum after ;) OR if you want to spend money..make her dress up and walk Rodeo Drive with something from Tiffany's hanging off her arm. Take pics, cause next year she's going to turn on you like a jackal!!! (Mom speaking here!! LOL)~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Buy her a chastity belt and hide the key until she's 21.

What can I say? My brother's step daughter and my best man's daughter both got pregnant at 17. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oooh or she could take the girl to a pottery painting store? You know, the ones where you pick a vase/cup/thing and paint it yourself. Sort of like Build-a-Bear, but for older kids.

Kids grow up too fast nowadays. Sometimes, they forget how to be one. We need to remind them it's ok to be a kid.

/rant over.:)

Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

Make a day out of it. Go shopping, go have lunch. Go have girl time.;)

Thats what I'm talking about!! Do the 'Ladies Lunch'...both of you get dressed up and go for fine dining (LUNCH..the bill will come to about $50 if you splurge) and the memory--priceless!

I'd do the lunch first..and then window shopping. You don't really have to spend a lot of money to make it special. Do a museum after ;) OR if you want to spend money..make her dress up and walk Rodeo Drive with something from Tiffany's hanging off her arm. Take pics, cause next year she's going to turn on you like a jackal!!! (Mom speaking here!! LOL)~~April

Rodeo Drive? Tiffany's? Are you mad April?

Hell no! :D I refuse to contribute to that part of a 12 year old girl's brain.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Gift card to a book store. :)
My kids are all great readers and love to get just that. If the 12 YO girl is not into books, maybe it will start her on the path.

That is her parent's job. I'm here to spoil. ;):)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Every 12 year old I have seen either has a Nintendo DS, a PSP, or an IPOD. Also a cell phone is a sure winner.

edit: if you get an ipod, get a nano or full size. The shuffle isn't "cool", its a consolation prize.. Ya know?

I don't know what all of that stuff is. :P:D

Except the cell phone. ipods, don't know anything about them.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Hi Lisa! What are you (and I) doing up? :D

I have a suggestion...the 6th graders, whom I was working with last school year seemed to LOVE their end of year 6th grade class trip to a water park called SOAKCITY. I remember that they wanted so much for me to go with them, which I did! (Nope, I didn't get in the water. I've read too many scary things about water park water...)

You should take her to a fun theme park or other place of her choice, where you two (and maybe the mom, as well) can spend quality time together. I think that is so much better than giving her something material. Kids (especially at this age, believe it or not) want our attention, love and personal time, more than those superficial things.

Hi Lisa! What are you (and I) doing up? :D

I have a suggestion...the 6th graders, whom I was working with last school year seemed to LOVE their end of year 6th grade class trip to a water park called SOAKCITY. I remember that they wanted so much for me to go with them, which I did! (Nope, I didn't get in the water. I've read too many scary things about water park water...)

You should take her to a fun theme park or other place of her choice, where you two (and maybe the mom, as well) can spend quality time together. I think that is so much better than giving her something material. Kids (especially at this age, believe it or not) want our attention, love and personal time, more than those superficial things.

That means a bikini and boys :|

How about lunch at the beach and this

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

If you are able to do an event with her, definitely go with that. There is no such thing as "too much" when you're talking about time with pre-teens or teens. If you can't do that, money is definitely the way to go. Mine don't even like gift cards to a specific store because then they have to find something they like there, they prefer the cash.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon