Jumpervint

Laptop Suggestions

My wife is in need of a Windows based laptop. Any suggestions? I want to keep it under $1000, have a cd/dvd burner, wireless capability. She'll be using it for the accounting and book-keeping purposes of her business and as a source of music in her shop. Memory and hard drive aren't that big an issue, considering what she'll use it for.

Thanks,

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

I have had a few Dells in the last 10 years. For the most part no real issues with them. They are fairly cheap but they lack on the customer support. You will get some guy in India when you call for service. Like the other guy said, stay away from Vista for at least another year or two. I recently got a Sony laptop that is pretty nice but I haven't had it long enough to make a good or bad recommendation.

I have had a few Dells in the last 10 years. For the most part no real issues with them. They are fairly cheap but they lack on the customer support. You will get some guy in India when you call for service. Like the other guy said, stay away from Vista for at least another year or two. I recently got a Sony laptop that is pretty nice but I haven't had it long enough to make a good or bad recommendation.

I HATE DELL'S CUSTOMER SUPPORT. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE THEM. No joke. I'm not the least bit racist/prejudice, but Dell's customer support line is that bad and condescending that you could become anti-indian at the end of your 3 hour support call...

If you had the $, i'd say apple.

Check out Sony, HP, Toshiba...

MacBook with Parallels and Boot Camp.

You mean either parallels OR boot camp...you don't need both. I use boot camp but wish I had parallels. I hate having to shut down and reboot into winblows...but it does run windows great.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

too bad you werent looking like 3 months ago. I sold a gateway on ebay with the specs you were looking for and it sold for 350 dollars.

On the thread topic:

Dell has excellent customer service..but there machines arent the greatest.

Gateway has piss poor customer service but their machines are pretty good.

These are my opinions ONLY!!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

MacBook with Parallels and Boot Camp.

You mean either parallels OR boot camp...you don't need both. I use boot camp but wish I had parallels. I hate having to shut down and reboot into winblows...but it does run windows great.

I said AND because, like you said, there are advantages to one over the other. Parallels doesn't require a reboot, while boot camp does, but is better at running windows. Parallels is more convenient, but some applications require boot camp if they are to run properly (my law school test software, for example). I know several people with both, and they use them both, depending on the application. They're two different tools, although similar, and using one is sometimes easier than using the other.