marcandalysse

dog skin 'hot spots' remedies?

Does anyone have a remedy for irritated spot on dog's leg....I thot it was from a red ant bite, but whatever the cause, dog was licking it and it got irritated, now I have a bandage over it so she doesn't lick anymore.

Websites mention stinging type remedies like bactine, listerine, epson salts soak, but also powders like desenex and gold powder whatever they are....

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Does anyone have a remedy for irritated spot on dog's leg....I thot it was from a red ant bite, but whatever the cause, dog was licking it and it got irritated, now I have a bandage over it so she doesn't lick anymore.

Websites mention stinging type remedies like bactine, listerine, epson salts soak, but also powders like desenex and gold powder whatever they are....

A cone around his neck, you can get them at any pet store.

all bullshit aside every now and again I put neosporin
on my dog and he stops.

I use advantage every three weeks in the heat of summer, cut back to about every five weeks in the winter.

every couple of years though that fucker will just begin to chew holes in himself, nothing topical will stop his chewing NOTHING. I give him a shot of prednazone. then he snaps out of it.

I beleive he chews sometimes due to some form of sepparation anxiety, self mutilation thing. got to hang out with those fuckers theyre pack animals.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

My friend's dog was doing that during LP this year (and prior to LP). According to her vet, it's a nervous condition. She licked the skin RAW on her paw. Vet said to keep it covered whenever possible (she put a boot on her foot) until it healed. If it doesn't heal, they'll keep licking at it.

The bandage seems like a good idea but make sure it gets some air every now and then.

Good luck with her!
'Shell

all bullshit aside every now and again I put neosporin on my dog and he stops.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question...do you have to put a cone on after the neosporin? My dog would lick that off, I believe.~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

we do a few things-

we have an antibiotic spray called gentomicin (or something close to that) that we use. Also we spray the area with "Fooey" a nasty tasting spray that deters licking/chewing. If the wound is open, you may want the vet to look at it- if it is infected they will prescribe an oral antibiotic and may clean it out a little bit.

If you tape, do not tape over the wound. Tape around it with Vet Tape- it won't pull hair off or stick when removed. Covering the wound will just keep it moist and dark and make yucky things grow in it.

Gizmo has pretty bad allergies a few times a year (seems to be May and August). We have a script of Toperol (?) a mild steroid to give her when things flare up if we can't seem to manage them any other way.

Make sure the dog is on a flea preventative (Frontline, Advantix, Advantage).

Try to figure out what changed that made the dog get an itchy reaction. A lot of times it's a food allergy. We have one allergic to dairy and another that we're thinking it might be grain.

thanks for the suggestions everyone!
the ace bandage we put on kept her from licking it more and its healing up fast! I used golden bond powder to dry it too.

Stacy, see you at the dog park sometime?
Alysse and Bianca started the dog obedience class at the school you recommended.

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton