ACMESkydiver

DZ.com Weight Loss/Fitness Quest -Update, Mo-frackies!!!

Split meals, set times, set foods and amounts.

What are 'split meals'? Do you mean that you take one meal and eat half now and half later?

Cardio 5 am 7 mornings a week before any food.

My pilates instructor and lifting instructor have said that you need a small smount of carbs prior to any physical exercise or you're tearing up muscle in your workout. -Does doing cardio after fasting do something specific for you?

-I'm trying to learn the newest techniques here, so share what this stuff means! :)

Yeah. If your doing something strictly cardio, like running, elliptical, steppers, bikes, then no trainer should tell you to eat before hand. It's 100% fact that it's best to do cardiovascular workouts first thing in the morning. Your not really fasting, just get in there before your first meal. Two reasons, once your up, you have the most energy for the day to get through your workout. The biggest reason is when your doing your workout and your heart rate begins to rise high enough to be considered burning fat, your body will use stored fat for energy through the workout. If you've eaten something before, when it digests, your body is going to use about 10% of the stored fat amount it would've used, and the rest will be from the nutrients in the food you've eaten before. That's where post workout meals come in, high in protein because now that you beat on your muscles, their looking for 'food' and the protein absorbtion is higher then any other time in the day.

The only time eating before a workout *pre-workout meal* is good and right, is any workout devoted to muscular growth, lifting etc. Carbs serve as energy, the more carbs you have, the more strength you have and you can push your limits. When you go into the gym low carbed, your not pushing your muscles limits anymore because their weaker from the lack of carbs. Like the pro guys who compete on stage, a friend of mine just won National Collegiate Heavyweight for bodybuilding. When he's on a normal bulking diet for muscle mass, he eats higher carbs and his max bench is around 405. When he's cutting for a show or competition, he eats NO carbs and is around 2% bodyfat, his max bench then, only 2 months after the 405, he can only max 225.

Lol, I'm a fitness/dieting psycho, any questions ask meh. Regular health, football, strength, speed, physique whatever.

Split meals, set times, set foods and amounts.

What are 'split meals'? Do you mean that you take one meal and eat half now and half later?

Cardio 5 am 7 mornings a week before any food.

My pilates instructor and lifting instructor have said that you need a small smount of carbs prior to any physical exercise or you're tearing up muscle in your workout. -Does doing cardio after fasting do something specific for you?

-I'm trying to learn the newest techniques here, so share what this stuff means! :)

Sorry for the long ass reply before.

1.) Split meals I just meant that the time of when I actually eat that meal is mapped out in a time frame. I make sure Breakfast is eaten at the right time so that each meal 2 hours apart puts my pre workout meal 90 minutes before my post workout meal and 2.5 hours before dinner. lol freak i know :-(

2.) Cardio on an empty stomach will use stored fat, the fat we have on us, for energy instead of the carbs sugar and protein you ate before the cardio session. Running uses little protein, the muscle fibers in your legs get nothing from running, or else marathon runners would have legs like linemen, so eating before running has no bennefit whatsoever asides from some energy if it's later in the day.

For those of you who HATE running...

If you hate running and all other cardio, 30-45 minutes feels like 6 days.

If you have the endurance, try HIIT cardio. *High Intensity Interval Training*

Walk fast pace for 4 minutes to get your heart rate up. Soons that ends, start the intervals. All out running for 20 seconds, 10 second walk for 6 minutes, then 4 minute faced paced walk to keep the heart rate up, then walk for a minute to 'cool down'...

15 minutes, beats your ass worse then jogging for an hour IMO...

Wow, good info, thanks! I just read your post to my husband. We're on opposite programs -he's trying to mostly build muscle, whereas for now I am more focused on losing weight.

Best tips to build muscle.

1.) 3-4g of protein per pound he weighs.
2.) a lot of carbs, but clean carbs like oatmeal, brown rice, whole grains, sweet potatoes etc.
3.) Sleep...
4.) Don't buy into the supplement bullshit. Creatine works, but has no true bennefit unless your in the gym often.
5.) Try and eat every 1.5-2 hours.

Friend of mine ate 5 grams/pound of protein a day, ate every 1.5 hours CLEAN high carbs. Lifted 6 days a week and took a test booster *legal*. Put on like 35 pounds of muscle in about 4.5 months.

How old's your husband?

Hello all,

I just thought I would chime in from merry ole Afghanistan. Where the sun is always hot and the camels hotter.

Now on a serious note people. I arrived in Afghanistan on January 21, 2007 and i weighed in at a hefty 250+ pounds. Well, we are almost in September and last time I wieghed in I was a little under 210 pounds. I must admit when I first arrived out here I did not want to exercise or lose weight at all. But, Thankfully I am in the ARMY and I don't always get what I want. I had a few people push me until I started to lose weight and I actually liked it. Now My goal is to to 195 pounds by Christmas time. I will still be in Afghanistan until January or February but the whole purpose was to be able to fly a smaller canopy but keep a low wingloading. Also, I have included a picture of what I looked like in January and a picture of me a few months ago. I am the white guy. But as you can see I have lost alot of fat and to be honest I feel like I was 21 again
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

If they used any form of electrical devices to measure your bodyfat, their not accurate, no matter who did them.

The scales, hand helds, electric impulses etc, none of them give you accurate LBM.

Ask a doctor next time your at yours if he has calipers and can clip ya, their +/- 1-2%, the electric ones can be up to 12% off...

I know that and I have my own pair of calipers as well too. I've had one of my friends who is in Med School, show me how theya re used and I got the same reading the scale did.

I know it also differs based on your hydration levels and all that other stuff too...i've done all my homework on the variables that could affect the results.

I just wanted to use it as a stepping stone indicator as to where I am and where I want to be.

Hey good job on keeping up with it through business travel and shift changes. That's not an easy task.

Thanks alot and no it hasn't been easy at all. I'm usually a nocturnal kind of person anyways, but having to readjust to my eating schedule and sleeping schedule doesn't yield much time.

I usually get back to the hotel around 8:30 am, have breakfast and pass out afterwards until around 4 or 5, maybe 6 pm. I then wake up and go work out and come back usually 2 hours later and get ready and go to work...so yeah, its definitely taken some discipline..
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Stew rocks. I did his 4-week Navy SEAL introductory workout a couple years ago, and it handed me my ass.

I did send him an E-mail a little over a week ago, and never got a response unfortunately. It was a fairly basic question about how to build up my ankles so they wouldn't hurt so much using fins, but as I said, I never got a response. Strange it seems, as everyone I've spoken to has said he's good about responding. Maybe I sent to an old E-mail or something, so I'll double-check and resend this week.

Ah yes......the dreaded SEAL workout. Nothing like the old pushup pyramid.

I would try emailing him again, I've emailed him like 3 or 4 times and got a response within 1.5 hours....the quickest was 15 minutes.

As far as the ankles......yoga and stretching would probably be a good start, but I think just like running you have to slowly work your way up with fins.

Good luck with the rescue swimmer thing, there's SEALs that flunk out of that school it's pretty tough. Just remember, you can do anything you put your mind to.

Pushup pyramids are insane. Those really kick my ass.

Yeah, I think my best option is just time and regular workouts using the fins. They're feeling a little better, but I think it'll take a couple months before they're really feeling good. I worked up to running 6 miles daily at one point near the end of my time as an undergrad, so I know I can do it with swimming.

As for SEALs failing out of A-School, that doesn't surprise me. There's no way to prepare for how much swimming there actually is in A-School. Those who make it through the school are merely the less than 50% who want it most. And I want it more than most.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

If they used any form of electrical devices to measure your bodyfat, their not accurate, no matter who did them.

The scales, hand helds, electric impulses etc, none of them give you accurate LBM.

Ask a doctor next time your at yours if he has calipers and can clip ya, their +/- 1-2%, the electric ones can be up to 12% off...

I know that and I have my own pair of calipers as well too. I've had one of my friends who is in Med School, show me how theya re used and I got the same reading the scale did.

I know it also differs based on your hydration levels and all that other stuff too...i've done all my homework on the variables that could affect the results.

I just wanted to use it as a stepping stone indicator as to where I am and where I want to be.

Hey good job on keeping up with it through business travel and shift changes. That's not an easy task.

Thanks alot and no it hasn't been easy at all. I'm usually a nocturnal kind of person anyways, but having to readjust to my eating schedule and sleeping schedule doesn't yield much time.

I usually get back to the hotel around 8:30 am, have breakfast and pass out afterwards until around 4 or 5, maybe 6 pm. I then wake up and go work out and come back usually 2 hours later and get ready and go to work...so yeah, its definitely taken some discipline..

Nice, stick with it. I wish I had your height :-(. I want 5'11, I have a few years left to get it lol

For those of you who HATE running...

If you hate running and all other cardio, 30-45 minutes feels like 6 days.

If you have the endurance, try HIIT cardio. *High Intensity Interval Training*

Walk fast pace for 4 minutes to get your heart rate up. Soons that ends, start the intervals. All out running for 20 seconds, 10 second walk for 6 minutes, then 4 minute faced paced walk to keep the heart rate up, then walk for a minute to 'cool down'...

15 minutes, beats your ass worse then jogging for an hour IMO...

I'm enjoying my 30 minutes on the treadmill now...however, I used to do HIIT (though it wasn't phrased that way) when I was in the army and needed to drop weight and shape up for my wedding. :ph34r: -Army PT does nothing to get a person in real shape. :| (At least, it didn't 10 years ago; I hope that's changed...)

I used a workout designed for women by Joyce Vedral. It REALLY got me in great shape in minimal time, and it was all about combining aerobic and anaerobic training into a high-intensity session -deep knee bends, lunges, repetitive, and fast...it was a heck of a workout. I even used that workout when I ran PT for our station (rarely). The guys were all making fun of it and calling it 'weak' -I was the only woman in our unit, so they thought my 'girly' workout was so lame. It was pretty funny to watch every one of them limp in to the station the next day. :DB| [Jaye knocks off someone's clipboard log], "Hey buddy, you dropped your log. Ya better grab that..." -then I just watched them groan as they try to bend down and pick it up! ;)

Gyad I didn't have many victories in the army, but that day was sure one of 'em. :D:D:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Stew rocks. I did his 4-week Navy SEAL introductory workout a couple years ago, and it handed me my ass.

I did send him an E-mail a little over a week ago, and never got a response unfortunately. It was a fairly basic question about how to build up my ankles so they wouldn't hurt so much using fins, but as I said, I never got a response. Strange it seems, as everyone I've spoken to has said he's good about responding. Maybe I sent to an old E-mail or something, so I'll double-check and resend this week.

I would try emailing him again, I've emailed him like 3 or 4 times and got a response within 1.5 hours....the quickest was 15 minutes.

As far as the ankles......yoga and stretching would probably be a good start, but I think just like running you have to slowly work your way up with fins.

Good luck with the rescue swimmer thing, there's SEALs that flunk out of that school it's pretty tough. Just remember, you can do anything you put your mind to.

Yeah, I think my best option is just time and regular workouts using the fins. They're feeling a little better, but I think it'll take a couple months before they're really feeling good. I worked up to running 6 miles daily at one point near the end of my time as an undergrad, so I know I can do it with swimming.

As for SEALs failing out of A-School, that doesn't surprise me. There's no way to prepare for how much swimming there actually is in A-School. Those who make it through the school are merely the less than 50% who want it most. And I want it more than most.

The most amazing story I've heard about those guys is about one of them that was trying to get on to a ship during a storm.....fifty foot waves, out in the middle of the ocean.

For those of you that don't know how they get onto ships in huge storm..........the ships hang nets over the side and the swimmer gets dropped off a ways out and swims in and grabs on to the net and climbs up.....because of the waves they have to time their approach with the waves.....getting slammed into the hull of the ship by a fifty foot wave could easily kill you.

Anyways, either through his timing being off or the unpredictable waves, he gets slammed into the side of the ship. Breaks an arm and both legs, but due to the size of the storm the helicopter had to turn back. The next day they picked him up. He swam the whole night with two broken legs and a broken arm..........that's one tough mofo.

Just remember, you can do anything you put your mind to.
...and you're in violation of your face!

The most amazing story I've heard about those guys is about one of them that was trying to get on to a ship during a storm.....fifty foot waves, out in the middle of the ocean.

For those of you that don't know how they get onto ships in huge storm..........the ships hang nets over the side and the swimmer gets dropped off a ways out and swims in and grabs on to the net and climbs up.....because of the waves they have to time their approach with the waves.....getting slammed into the hull of the ship by a fifty foot wave could easily kill you.

Anyways, either through his timing being off or the unpredictable waves, he gets slammed into the side of the ship. Breaks an arm and both legs, but due to the size of the storm the helicopter had to turn back. The next day they picked him up. He swam the whole night with two broken legs and a broken arm..........that's one tough mofo.

Yeah, they're crazy committed bastards. The mission comes above anything else. Just finished reading a book written by a former rescue swimmer who just retired from the service last year, and he states the mentality of a USCG Rescue Swimmer as, "I'll save that victim or I'll die trying."

One of his stories was during his time in Mobile, Alabama, he received written reports from three rescue swimmers and their flight crews, they were tasked to save the crew of one fishing boat, only to be re-tasked with rescues of two others. First swimmer rescued the crew of one fishing boat, throwing up several times along the swim to the victims and back. And the hoist hook bent, so the ground crews fueled a new chopper and swapped them over and added a swimmer. Second swimmer swapped with the first to save the second crew and a dog, both swimmers threw up multiple times on the way there and back because of the rough seas, but managed to save everyone anyway. Third swimmer handled the original call, threw up several times himself, and pressed on to rescue every one of the crew of this fishing boat. All told, the three swimmers and two flight crews saved 12 survivors and one dog from these three sinkings in just over three hours of combined flying time.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Yeah, they're crazy committed bastards. The mission comes above anything else. Just finished reading a book written by a former rescue swimmer who just retired from the service last year, and he states the mentality of a USCG Rescue Swimmer as, "I'll save that victim or I'll die trying."

One of his stories was during his time in Mobile, Alabama, he received written reports from three rescue swimmers and their flight crews, they were tasked to save the crew of one fishing boat, only to be re-tasked with rescues of two others. First swimmer rescued the crew of one fishing boat, throwing up several times along the swim to the victims and back. And the hoist hook bent, so the ground crews fueled a new chopper and swapped them over and added a swimmer. Second swimmer swapped with the first to save the second crew and a dog, both swimmers threw up multiple times on the way there and back because of the rough seas, but managed to save everyone anyway. Third swimmer handled the original call, threw up several times himself, and pressed on to rescue every one of the crew of this fishing boat. All told, the three swimmers and two flight crews saved 12 survivors and one dog from these three sinkings in just over three hours of combined flying time.

I'm sure it also has it's bad moments, but that has to be one of the most fulfilling jobs at the end of the day.
...and you're in violation of your face!

Nice, stick with it. I wish I had your height :-(. I want 5'11, I have a few years left to get it lol

It's not all its cracked up to be sometimes. I don't fit into most small places or normal places for that matter. (i.e. - airplanes, buses, seats, cars, desks, etc.)

Everytime I do something I have to think about it ergonomically. Oh and lets not forget the most recent case. There's not alot of people in this sport who are my size so finding used gear to suit me was hard, so I just said f it and am getting new gear.

Other than that, I do enjoy being able to see over everyones head and the ladies like it ;)
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I just started working out again. I'm seeing a personal trainer 1x/week (I need to stay motivated somehow) and going on my own another 1-2x/week. Just trying to lose the 15 lbs I gained in the last 3 years of college and fit in my clothes again :)
Haven't weighed in since I started about 3 weeks ago. I still eat like shit so I'm afraid to ;)

Keep it up everyone!

2.) Cardio on an empty stomach will use stored fat, the fat we have on us, for energy instead of the carbs sugar and protein you ate before the cardio session. Running uses little protein, the muscle fibers in your legs get nothing from running, or else marathon runners would have legs like linemen, so eating before running has no bennefit whatsoever asides from some energy if it's later in the day.

I tried this this morning. I'm going to start out every morning with cardio like you suggested, then do my strength & second cardio in the afternoons. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm sure it also has it's bad moments, but that has to be one of the most fulfilling jobs at the end of the day.

That's why I want to do it. At least in my humble and insignificant opinion, there is no professional capacity more honorable than saving lives, and so much the better if you're risking your own existence in order to save the lives of others. Even if I was only a swimmer for a few years, and saved between 15-30 lives in that time, I would still be able to die knowing I made a difference, and that kind of draw is hard to find anywhere else.

Going back to fitness, I went to the pool again tonight. I've got a medical exam for NYPD tomorrow all day, gotta be there 6:30 in the morning, I should really relax and unwind so I'm not stressed out at the exam, but I went anyway and swam roughly 2000m with the fins and snorkel. Ankles are feeling better, but now everything else hurts. B| It's a good hurt though, the kind of hurt that makes me want to go right back out and run a few miles and then swim some more. I guess I find it surprising that at my ripe old age of 24, I still have that motivation to kick my own ass that hard and do it again the next day. So tomorrow, if I'm back early enough, I'm going for a run. And if not, I'll go for another swim. And either way, I'm getting in at least 200 flutterkicks. B|