LisaH

Is this an AOL scam?

When I went to Hawaii in March, I used one of those AOL free 1000 hours CD's so I could have internet access on the labtop I took.

Like a dumbass, I didn't realize you have to cancel it when you stop using it. I thought they just timed out after the hours supplied. :$

I cancelled it about 4 weeks later and then noticed they were still charging me monthly. I called and told them I had cancelled it and they said "no you didn't, you owe these charges." I gave them the confirmation # of the cancellation and they still refused to budge. I asked again to cancel it and received a new cancellation #. They actually sent me a letter this time confirming the cancellation.

Went to my bank, filed a dispute, the money was put back into my account, I got a new card number and I thought I was done.

I just received a bill from AOL for the amount the bank gave back to me. Threatening to send me to collection.

So, I'm sitting here looking at the copy of my dispute, the letter from AOL confirming my cancellation and the bill threatening collections.

Tried calling AOL and they will not cooperate with the matter.

I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

When I went to Hawaii in March, I used one of those AOL free 1000 hours CD's so I could have internet access on the labtop I took.

Like a dumbass, I didn't realize you have to cancel it when you stop using it. I thought they just timed out after the hours supplied. :$

I cancelled it about 4 weeks later and then noticed they were still charging me monthly. I called and told them I had cancelled it and they said "no you didn't, you owe these charges." I gave them the confirmation # of the cancellation and they still refused to budge. I asked again to cancel it and received a new cancellation #. They actually sent me a letter this time confirming the cancellation.

Went to my bank, filed a dispute, the money was put back into my account, I got a new card number and I thought I was done.

I just received a bill from AOL for the amount the bank gave back to me. Threatening to send me to collections.

So, I'm sitting here looking at the copy of my dispute, the letter from AOL confirming my cancellation and the bill threatening collections.

Tried calling AOL and they will not cooperate with the matter.

I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

get the smokes out..................

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

i'm actually thinking of going to spray my ex-workingplace with liquid manure.. i used to work for a phone company..

i hate those pricks!

AOL, sunrise, swisscom, whatever, they're pure evil!!!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

wow they are still doing that scam.

Do an internet search. AOL is notorious for this fucking shit.

If I were you I'd get a manager of sorts on the phone. Give them your confirmation #, if he still says you owe money, then get a little angry and explain you'll never pay. When the word collections comes up, say well I'm pretty sure the judge will agree your the letter from you says I canceled.

Then tell them to kiss your ass because you know they do this to everyone that tries to cancel.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Keep calling. Make sure you jot down who you talk to each time you call. I'm not sure if getting the Better Business Bureau involved would help, but it can't hurt.

This is how you deal with airline companies, too.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

wow they are still doing that scam.

Do an internet search. AOL is notorious for this fucking shit.

If I were you I'd get a manager of sorts on the phone. Give them your confirmation #, if he still says you owe money, then get a little angry and explain you'll never pay. When the word collections comes up, say well I'm pretty sure the judge will agree your the letter from you says I canceled.

Then tell them to kiss your ass because you know they do this to everyone that tries to cancel.

I was on the phone for an hour going up the chain, mostly on hold.

Good idea, thanks. I'm on hold with them again now. :D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Send them a registered letter stating that you do not owe them the money, that they must either proceed directly to the courts or cease and desist, and that if you suffer any injury to your credit as a result of this that you will seek redress from the courts.
I have gotten faux creditors off my ass a couple of times this way.

AOL & Wal-Mart are the devils.... end of story.... but sorry your having trouble, I hope you get it all worked out. If I had to use AOL in order to have the internet, I'd go with out....

I hate AOL. I only used them for 2 weeks in Hawaii.

Decided to send them a cease and desist letter.

Can't touch me now. B|:D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Now that the account is canceled and they're no longer able to debit your bank account, what you should do from here on is simple:

Nothing. Simply ignore them.
Don't waste any more of your time on communicating with them. If they're dumb enough to send it to a collection agency, ignore the 1 or 2 letters you get from them, too. Eventually, it will just stop.