ljkenny

Altimeter watches - What do you think?

Hi all,
I am wishing to buy an altimeter. As I don't like the ring you have to place over your fingers on the more traditional type alti's, I am looking for something I find a little more comfortable. I have seen a few 'watch' type alti's and to be honest I quite fancy them, however, I don't know if they are accurate and can be trusted for free-fall.

If anyone has any advice (based on fact please) regarding 'watch' type alti's please let me know.

Here are some links to a couple I have been looking at, however, I am open to any recommendations and other brands.

Polar AXN300 Outdoor Computer
http://www.gaiamdirect.co.uk/content/product.aspx?productID=6654&rCat=74&osAdcampaign=google-newpolar&gclid=CI6Is82B0oUCFRp3EAodRSaR5g

Suunto Vector
http://www.adventureshop.co.uk/suunto/vector.htm

Thanks for your help guys; I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Lee

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!
Why, oh why bigman, won't you let me jump?

...As I don't like the ring you have to place over your fingers on the more traditional type alti's, I am looking for something I find a little more comfortable...

Is there a related health issue (weak or broken fingers) or... is it just uncool to your eyes?

What Phoenixlpr said... Skydiving altimeters aren't very accurate but I wouldn't trust those watches: they probably aren't designed to react to a quick increase of air pressure (leading higher readings than real altitude) and the pressure sensor may be poorly placed regarding to the burble above your hand (again, leading to higher readings). LCD screens can also be hard to read under bright sunlight.

And during a mal, while you're tossed around, you'll read far more easily that big ass dial than tiny figures on a lcd screen.

All your dropzone are belong to us!!!!111!

Please don't give your analyse if you have not tested it...

I have a suunto Explorer...

It's great for jumping and swooping of course...

Some instructor in France use it for AFF or tandem too.

The only bad point is the size of the characters. You need good eyes... ;)

Please d
Guillaume

French 4-way & 8-way suporter

This is why I used the words 'probably' and 'may be'...

You've got 1000 jumps and you're a swooper. The original poster has entered a A type license. Have you taken that into account.

Your digital altimeter-watch may be great, like you said, but I hate it when people rate the bling-bling factor above safety and reliability.

I have more than a 1000 jumps on Suunto products. They are not accurate enough, update fast enough, or are visible enough at a glance for a student/low time jumper.

To the original poster have you considered the wrist mount strap found HERE? They work well and are less costly than a watch.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

try a saffire altimeter?

they come with a 2 peice elastic that goes over your wrist and around your palm. I find it really comfortable and much more secure than a finger loop alti. Its also adjustable so its secure over any type of gloves (or no gloves)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

That's why I said to be careful because it's not so easy to read.

This is absolutely not a "beginner" product and this is not as efficient as a Viso, Neptune or a GFX to swoop

but it's a nice fancy product:P and enough for common use. (moreover with it you haven't to buy an altimeter & a watch )
Guillaume

I have a Suunto Observer.It reads exactly same as an Optima in the plane during the climb. During the freefall ; It is working very fast and nearly same readings as a skydiving altimeter.I have more than 30 jumps with it but still can not recomend it as the main altimeter.Maybe together with an audible after some experience!

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your input. I'll try to spead some more light on the subject for you all.

Yes, I am a new jumper, I have only 20 jumps to my name (all of them free-fall though). I am looking to slowly build up my kit and equipment. The first thing (besides the goggles I have already brought) I thought I'd buy was an alti. I don't think the ring is "uncool" nor to I have "weak or broken fingers" I just don't like how it feels inbetween my fingers. I don't have a problem with my eyesight, infact I have 20/20 vision. Although, I accept what you guys had to say about the sunlight. As for the giration of my body due to a mal, I think I would be a little more concerned trying to sort it out (quickly) rather than looking at my alti.

The reasons why I liked the idea of the 'watch' type alti because;
1, I can use it as a watch when I am not skydiving, therefore I can replace my watch with it
2, I can replace my heart-rate monitor with it
3, It's comfortable
4, It's generally cheaper 'and' more practical than any other alti out there
5, (just an added bonus, not to prioritse over "heath and saftey") They do look pretty good also.

The main information I was after (from people in the know i.e. who have personal experince with them) is; are they safe and are they accuate?

I really so appreiate all of your input though guys!

Regards,
Lee

p.s. I have just read though my reply and some of it my come across as being a bit rude/forward. I don't mean it do be so please don't take offence, cheers guys!

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!

ljkenny,

I would be a little more concerned trying to sort it out (quickly) rather than looking at my alti

You might want to read the 'incidents' and 'safety and training' forums first. Altitude awareness, and mostly knowing how high you are regarding to your hard deck is VITAL when trying to sort out a mal.

Out of the 5 reasons that you've advanced, 4 (watch, heart rate monitor, comfort, looks) have nothing to do with skydiving. The 4th one can be related (skydiving is quite expensive) but 2nd hand altimeters are available. I bought mine for 25€.

I just don't like how it feels inbetween my fingers

As a big roll eyes emoticon isn't available, I'll have to use :o:S:(. You need to toughen up a bit, or soon you'll ditch the helmet because it is messing with your haircut.

Point taken about the mal!

However, strangely enough, for the majority of my life I am 'off' the DZ, hence the reason for more practical equipment. If I can double or even triple up the uses for my equipment, all the better. If it was practical to use my flying suit as a DJ (dinner jacket, not a mobile music man) I would.

The thing is, the idea of a normal, every-day watch, that I can use for skydiving and my various fitness training sounds like a great idea.

As for the helmet, I was thinking about that! Do you have any suggestions for a special hemet that wouldn't mess up my hair? Or maybe a hair product that won't be forced out of my hair upon 4-5 applications of one helmet? (I'm kidding of course)

Thanks for you contribution though (however pis*y it may have sounded) ;)

Please buy a simple altimeter. Due to your level it's the only way to be safe (the more flashy colors it has, the best. You'll don't even have to read, just see in which color you are...)

If you don't like to fix it to your fingers, change the fixation to a big velcro for your wrist.
Guillaume

:)
About the jumpsuit, don't worry, when it's too old (or after a couple of bad landings B|), you'll still be able to wear it when your changing oil on the car or painting the fence.;)

I hope that you'll find a multi-usage altimeter that suits your needs but consider that it'll have to be an altimeter FIRST. The rest will have to be secondary.

Be safe

A few people I have spoken to have said the same.

It looks like I'm going to have to ditch the idea of the 'watch alti'. Shame really, it seemed like a really good idea at the time.

If that is the verdict, I won't buy one at all. My club lends out analoge alti's anyway so there is little point inversting in one.

Thanks for your help!

Any further views are welcome though, as I will still be checking this forum.

What I do is I wear a watch AND an altimeter. Then once I am done jumping I can keep the watch on. ;) Then you don't need the dual function watch.

and during a tough skydive or during a mal, i can easily see my altitude instead of trying to squint at a small LCD screen.

And analog altimeters don't have batteries... so you won't have to worry about that.

MB 3528, RB 1182

It's a fair point and I have thought about wearing both, however, I am trying to get around buying an alti altogether.

The idea was to buy one of these goochy watches and use it for everything but my idea was shot down like a clay pigeon at a farming festival.

I'll just have to wait for reasonable product to come out!

*hint to any developers wanting a good idea*

Hey,

Why don't you buy the neptune? I have one and I do not use that ring neither. I don't like that ring around my fingers. So I just wear it as a watch around my arm. There is a strap included with and without that ring, so there is no reason to buy a watch if you can buy an altimeter who does what you want.

I prefer the neptune (or Viso ...) over any watch, very clear to read.

Jurgen

BTW Take a look at the pictures. One shows another altimeter, but that is how I have setup my neptune.

I have been looking at alternatives.
Although, I'm not sure if I really like any of the others.
I really liked the polar (link in the first post) because it had a heart-rate monitor on it aswell and would have been perfect for my current situation.
I don't think I'll get one at all now, as my club lends them out anyway.

Thanks for the thought though!

Don't by the Polar if you want to use it for skydiving.
I have the Polar AXN 700 and also the Suunto Altimax.
The Polar is to slow.
Example, I took both up to 13500 ft. The suunto showed the same altitude as the neptune but my Polar had still 11300 ft on the screen.
I transfered the data of the polar to my pc and in the grafic it was correct.
But you need to read the display when you are skydiving and for that the Polar is really not accurate

Cool, thanks for that!
That's the kind of information I was waiting for...

Nice one, thanks!

Do you jump with anyting else?
Would you use the Suunto as a primary alti?
What about on it's own?

Cool, thanks for that!
That's the kind of information I was waiting for...

Nice one, thanks!

Do you jump with anyting else?
Would you use the Suunto as a primary alti?
What about on it's own?

Hi I am glad that you are enjoying posting on dropzone.com. Now on to the real meat of my post. STOP FISHING FOR ANSWERS!!!!!! I garuntee that your going to find someone on here willing to tell you that using a Suunto is acceptable. The problem is that just because some person on the internet says it's ok, that doesn't mean that it is.

Most likely that person has one and doesn't know enough about the subject to be making that suggestion in the first place. Suunto's work as ok altimiters if you're an experienced skydiver. 3 people at my DZ use them and I have seen people at other DZs use them. All of these people are D Lic. holders who have MANY MANY more jump than you do.

For an inexperienced skydiver something with an easy to read display is better.

Bottom line is that skydiving is expensive and you need to be willing to spend some money on it because being cheap can mean that you get killed. What is worth more? Your life or the cost of a decent altimiter?

Have fun!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka