ljkenny

Altimeter watches - What do you think?

I think they are a neat gadget and a cool piece of jewelry. They also keep good time. I would not want to use one as a skydiving altimeter due to very small display that does not update often enough. I want to be able to read my altitude at a glance, which cannot be done with one of the watches. And even if you can read it, the displayed altitude might be several seconds old.

One of the reasons that the skydiving-specific altimeter exists is that it meets the specific needs of skydivers.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

After reading this thread, I guess I'm pretty anal.
I wear an Altitrack on my wrist, Galaxy II on my chest, and a Timeout in my helmet. I can't always look at my wrist, and can't always see my chest, but don't trust the Timeout.
I don't completely trust anything electronic, I guess I've been around electronics too much.

When I started I used just a common Altimeter from Barigo.
After +/- 200 jumps I started to use my Suunto.
For me it works fine and I can read the altitude in freefall.
BUT I can understand that a lot of peaple have difficulties with that.
If I'm doing FS4 I rarely pay attention to my altimeter because all four of us are using a Pro Dytter or Pro Track. In freefly this is different.
For that, I must say that the neptune, or (in future) the VISO will be better.
You can use it as a primary alti or on it's own but before you decide to by it a few things:
If you want to go for swooping afterwards I would not advice it to you. Then you are better of with the neptune or the Viso. This because you can mount these altimeter also on your upper leg or arm.
With a wristwatch you are to long distracted from your setup-point when you have to read the alti.
On the Suunto altimax, vector,.... you can't block the buttons and if you are doing freefly or FS sometimes it can happen that you switch from alti-mode to compass or barometer because you or somebody else touched the buttons.
This can be very annoying!!:S

But still, I like it and I have it always with me;)

Mr FAST,
Thanks you for your comments I have taken them all on board.

Good observation by the way I really am still fishing for (good) answers. "Why?" I hear you yell! Because there are still valuable opinions to be had. Your's included! (Only, yours was communicated in a slightly different way. I'm sure there is an underlying psychiatric reason for that but I'm no shrink ;))

I am trying to build up a complete 'opinion database' if you like. I have found out both from this board and others, lots of valuable information that I can use when I make my final analysis in a few days time.

I'm not just waiting for answers I like. I have heard many different opinions, some I like the sound of, some I don’t. I will be taking them all (including yours) into account when crunch time comes.

Safety is my primary concern, not how you or anyone else puts their opinion over.

Just for your information, my current view is as follows;
I will continue to use a BIG, COLOURFULL, easy to read alti for a good few jumps. After some more experience I intend to get a alti watch and use it in unison with the analogue one. If I then feel comfortable with the watches performance, I will change the analogue alti with an audible.

How's that sound for a plan so far?

Once again guys, thank you for all of your information. I do appreciate you taking time out to help me out!B|

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!
Why, oh why bigman, won't you let me jump?

Ian,

I have sent you a private message!

I hope this helps with your problem.

Also, next time you wish to post, can you make it constructive please

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!

If I then feel comfortable with the watches performance, I will change the analogue alti with an audible.

Not in the UK you wont. According to Section 6 (Equipment) Paragraph 4 (Instruments) Sub-Paragraph 4.2 of the British Parachute Association's Operation Manual

The minimum instrument is a serviceable non-sensitive visual read out altimeter

Altimeter watches, such as the Suunto, are sensitive devices and therefore will fail a flight-line check if it is your only visual altimeter.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

What makes a device sensitive or non-sensitive ?

Actually, I may have been mistaken in my understanding of the term "sensitive". It was my belief that it related to the rate of change of display; it is very difficult to get a (correctly functioning) mechanical altimeter to display anomalous readings, whereas it is very easy to do so with altimeter watch style devices. On further research I came across this Definition of "Sensitive" Altimeters (Reference Section 91.205(d)(5) of the Federal Aviation Regulations)

Typically, a "sensitive" altimeter, when used to comply with the provisions of Section 91.205(d)(5), relates to the instrument's displayed change in altitude over its range.

which is not the same thing and seems to relate to devices that (amongst other things)

complete one revolution for each 1,000-foot
altitude change, and provide a means for showing multiples of 1,000 feet.

Ian,

I have sent you a private message!

I hope this helps with your problem.

Also, next time you wish to post, can you make it constructive please

The next time you have a problem with someone you should not resort to implied threats in PMs of hacking personal web sites in PMs.

Get a thicker skin and more experience. :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Oh please! If I was going to hack your site, do you think I would have told you, you have a flaw.

I was being helpfull

Why do some people on this site just want to cause trouble?

Oh please! If I was going to hack your site, do you think I would have told you, you have a flaw.

I was being helpfull

Why do some people on this site just want to cause trouble?

You decided to look at the source code for my personal web site because we're such close friends. :)

Not very likely, but thanks any way, I'll buy you a beer when we next meet.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

You decided to look at the source code for my personal web site because we're such close friends.

Not as such! I always 'look at source' on peoples personal websites (as opposed to professional ones) and it's just good etiquette to let someone know of any possible security flaws. I would like someone to do the same for me too.

I may, however, take you up on the beer!;)

OK, usual shitty disclaimer first... I am not an instructor or even an experienced skydiver. I too am A licence like yourself and want to tell you what I think.

I too have 20/20 vision and although I can see my alti clearly (Altimaster Galaxy) its not that precise as distance is a good foot away when boxman and there is obviouslly movement in arm when in freefall. I have seen those watches and although look very Gucci the display is pretty small. If you had a mal and were spinning to the ground trying to rectify it would you be able to determine if you had reached your hard deck or not just by glancing over?

So maybe the ring feels bit uncomfortable. Buy an alternative strap. Legstraps arent comfortable either but you live with them. You say you didn't want the expense of buying an altimeter. Just how much is one of those toys your looking at? They aren't cheap.

In my opinion you'll look cooler if you don't have a Cypres fire. I personally prefer to keep my skydiving kit seperate from all other stuff then I know its in good condition and safe to use.

Hey Scoop,
Thanks for your input!;)

I don't really have a great deal new to say but I thought it would be rude not to say anything at all.

I have analysed the other possible mountings for the more traditional style altimeters. They are a good idea, however, they are readily available (for free) at my DZ. So there is little point investing in one.

Hence, it is not really a choice to buy a normal alti or a watch. It is more a choice of the watch or a Neptune (or something similar) and they are more expensive.:|

I think I have kinda formulated a plan now anyway! I do, however, need to run it past some of the instructors at my DZ before finalising anything.

Cheers for taking time out though Scoop! B|

they are readily available (for free) at my DZ. So there is little point investing in one.

That's not a very good reason for not buying one. Most places expect you to have your own own equipment (accessories at least, initially) once you are off student status, so that those who are more in need can make use of the loan equipment. Do you want to wear the sweaty ProTec, the ragged boiler suit, or jump the Manta for the rest of your skydiving career? So why should an altimeter be any different? What happens when you jump at a different dropzone? Not to mention that people tend not to look after stuff as well as if they owned it...

Good points, well communicated!

Well, the DZ's I jump at are mainly milatry owned. Hence the kit is generally well looked after and in good supply.

It's good kit too, the alti's are altimaster III's for instance (I hope you can see my thoughts about why I don't need to invest in a new alti).

I appretiate what you're saying about the jump suits, they are in good condition but they are a nasty colour and you actually look like a student.

Well, the DZ's I jump at are mainly milatry owned. Hence the kit is generally well looked after and in good supply.

If you filled in your profile and let us know where those DZs are, there may well be someone on here who can help you out with the wrist strap etc. Real face to face solutions are almost always better than random chat on the internet! ;)

If you are UK based, there are plenty of us here who jump at the 'military' DZs...:o:)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Hi Frank,

I have intentionally left all but my licence blank.
I'm going to wait until I'm a little more experienced before I put my information up here.
If I say something stupid, I don't have to live with it, I just change logon ID ;)

Hi Frank,

I have intentionally left all but my licence blank.
I'm going to wait until I'm a little more experienced before I put my information up here.
If I say something stupid, I don't have to live with it, I just change logon ID ;)

If you want answers you should be willing to give answers. We all say something stupid at sometime. Your way of dealing with it reflect poorly on you.>:(
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Mr Sparky,

I gave the fella the answer he was looking for in a PM and we have discussed the situation further since.:)
I just don't want the information to be broadcasted over the internet.

If you wish to know anything, please don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Mr Sparky,

I gave the fella the answer he was looking for in a PM and we have discussed the situation further since.:)

If you wish to know anything, please don't hesitate to ask. ;)

You never know what someone might try to do with information they find in a profile :)

Note:

Things like jump numbers, time in sport, canopies, gear, ratings can all be filled out w/o giving away your identidy. if you are paranoid for some reason.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

As was posted by Fast, a great deal of information in your profile can be filled out with problems and it makes it much easier to answer questions knowing the experience of the person asking them.:)

they are in good condition but they are a nasty colour and you actually look like a student.

Heaven forbid you actually look like a student. In case you haven’t noticed, we are all students.:S
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals