Mark24688m

A question for the Canadians!

I understand that in Canada the kilometer is used on road systems, etc, but what other units of measure are used in Canada, specifically BC? Do you use the meter? Yard? Foot? What about for architecture and building plans? I would assume the foot, since in England the KM is also used but so is the foot. Wow, confusing. :o

In 1995 when we were building General Motors Place in Vancouver the Audio contract stated in the preamble that all measurements were to be in metric. Various times later in the same document were distances referred to in feet. That is probably typical.
Architecture is mostly in metres, engineering is mixed and the construction happens in feet. The adage in the industry is 'buy in metres and sell in feet' (and put the extra three inches in your pocket).
Most Canadians switch back and forth effortlessly; if you cannot you would be best advised to use strictly metric as you will have to some of the time (on all government work, for example).

confusing to say the least. The reason I ask is I study architecture here in the US and I am thinking about transferring to a school in BC. So you are telling me canadian architects and architecture students dont use these? http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/scales19.jpg

I would say yes they do. My father is a millwork estimator. He has several of those babies in his briefcase. I'd hazard a guess that if he uses them, the people that draw up the blueprints probably use them too!

Then again, my dad is old so maybe he's old school too. :D
'Shell

They come in metric too.
BTW UBC is one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. You'll love it there if you can afford those expensive Canadian dollars.;)

Ya I know besides the architecture program that is the main reason i want to go there. Ive never even lived outside of NJ so I'm a little bit nervous about it :|

Ive never even lived outside of NJ so I'm a little bit nervous about it :|

Well try and avoid these if you go.:P
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/09/24/bc-cougarsighting2.html

There are a few cougars in Montana too.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

confusing to say the least. The reason I ask is I study architecture here in the US and I am thinking about transferring to a school in BC. So you are telling me canadian architects and architecture students dont use these? http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/scales19.jpg

A bit late in my replies... Sorry.

As an enginner, I had both metric and emprial rulers. You need both really.

Officially, everything is metric, but in construction, most is still done in emprial.
Remster

Ive never even lived outside of NJ so I'm a little bit nervous about it :|

Well try and avoid these if you go.:P
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/09/24/bc-cougarsighting2.html

There are a few cougars in Montana too.:|

Granville Island is downtown Vancouver.

SWOOOSH! ;)

And Clint: you're too old to be cougar prey... :ph34r:
Remster