normiss

Can I get one to altitude??

We can use the space elevators for altitude man!!!!
Whenver they get those working.

Thanks for the email by the way. mmmm tacos.

I wonder if you jumped as the elevator dropped if you could hover for a bit????The non space elevators.

Oh and wouldn't the fastest it could drop be 9 meters per second squared?? Or something like that?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

What happened to the space elevator project anyway???
I thought they were working rather well, albeit for our purposes, last time I checked...

anybody have a few spare weather ballons??
how about that French guy that's going to set the new jump altitude record...:D:D:D

I wonder if you jumped as the elevator dropped if you could hover for a bit????The non space elevators.

Oh and wouldn't the fastest it could drop be 9 meters per second squared?? Or something like that?

9.51 m/s^2.....well if it were in freefall, it would depend upon the mass of the elevator.

That force is the just force of acceleration due to gravity. If you were to compose a free-body diagram and show the forces, you'd have to factor in the mass of th elevator along with any cargo in it along with the force of air resistance (friction) acting along it too...

Sorry, thats the engineer in me...:S
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

9.51 m/s^2.....well if it were in freefall, it would depend upon the mass of the elevator.

That force is the just force of acceleration due to gravity. If you were to compose a free-body diagram and show the forces, you'd have to factor in the mass of th elevator along with any cargo in it along with the force of air resistance (friction) acting along it too...

No no, good stuff. I have a vague understanding of physics. So umm if the elevator starts out initially at a slow speed and speeds up, it could go faster than the force of gravity but the people inside would not be glued to the ceiling right?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

No no, good stuff. I have a vague understanding of physics. So umm if the elevator starts out initially at a slow speed and speeds up, it could go faster than the force of gravity but the people inside would not be glued to the ceiling right?

No because air's the only thing keeping us from continuously accelerating in freefall. If we're inside the elevator, there is never any relative wind so we wouldn't reach a "terminal velocity". The elevator would experience all of the relative wind and could exceed it's freefall terminal velocity via mechanical means.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I've often wondered if buildings/antennas could replace aircraft. We all consider jumping from a building BASE jumping, but if you're jumping from that building in Dubai (2600 feet) it's effectively a skydive rather than a BASE jump. Add a platform to get you 200 feet from the structure, position it downwind/crosswind and you have something you could safely jump with a typical skydiving rig.

People today are ground launching because it's fun to fly their canopies around, even if they can't get enough altitude to do a serious HP landing. Would a 2600 foot exit altitude let swoopers jump all day for the cost of the electricity to run the elevator? (Well, more than that, but you get the idea.)

>So umm if the elevator starts out initially at a slow speed and speeds
>up, it could go faster than the force of gravity but the people inside would
>not be glued to the ceiling right?

Gravity works at about 32 fps^2, less as you get higher. If the elevator falls at that speed you float. If it falls faster you're pinned to the ceiling. (The Tower of Terror ride does this, although people are strapped in so they can't get stuck on the ceiling.) If it falls slower you just feel light.

One problem with a space elevator is the coriolis force, which will tend to push you away from the elevator as you fall. This will be a good thing if you exit above the atmosphere since otherwise you won't be able to get away from the elevator (no air up there to track with.)

Earths Gravity is 32 ft/s and sea level. If you want to experience weightlessness you would have to descend in a elevator/plane that descended at 32 ft/s if it descended at 64 ft/s you would experience -1g and would be on the ceiling and could walk on the ceiling
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Buildings/antennas can replace aircraft if that's your thing. I enjoy freefall from just about anything. For one thing if you're B.A.S.E. jumping in Dubai make sure you don't get caught. From what I've read here they strictly enforce the rules there, and the legal system isn't quite like the one in the states.

Besides that, it's still a B.A.S.E. jump. You really think 200 feet is enough separation to "safely" B.A.S.E. jump with a canopy that likes to open off heading and spin into line twists? Yes that may be a "safe" B.A.S.E. jump to jump with B.A.S.E. gear, but I don't think there are any B.A.S.E. jumps where skydiving gear is better than B.A.S.E. gear. Use the right tools for the job.

Lots of skydivers seem think they can just show up at Bridge Day or in Lyseboten Norway with their normal sport rig and be fine. Just remember, not many people would normally deploy their sport mains below 2,000 or 3,000 feet. Most objects have an optimum opening point that puts you the furthest away from the ground and the object. The lower you pull, the farther you get away from the object the better off you'll be as long as you're far enough away from the ground. On most B.A.S.E. jumps, the ground is not your primary concern at first, getting away and staying away from the object is. Add to that the fact that B.A.S.E. gear is just so much better for B.A.S.E. jumping.

Some people get away with jumping older skydiving gear at events like Bridge Day, but that's with a large F111 7 cell canopy, a 9' B.A.S.E. bridle and pilot chute, and possibly other modifications like a freepacked main and tailpocket. These systems end up more like B.A.S.E. gear but are much worse because of the smaller main pack tray leading to more off headings and line twists.

Assuming you don't get caught and live close to the object, the only price you pay for B.A.S.E. jumping is gas and toll to get to the object and back. That and the cost to buy and maintain your gear, the cost of injuries, and beer and food. At some sites you can jump all day and you can get exercise too, you don't need an elevator, just energy to hike or climb.

On your second point, yes ground launching is fun. Yes at some sites that I've seen you can get enough altitude for a 90 degree front riser swoop, I've seen places you could get 1,000 feet or more AGL. I've heard of people attempting 270's after a ground launch. It is normally more fun to turn and just stay close to the ground the entire way down, then get a little swoop at the end, sometimes through the beach or the waves.