GQ_jumper

Randy Couture announce his retirement...for good

I just got word that Randy has hung up his gloves for good this time. After defeating Gonzaga a few months ago he told the UFC that if he didn't get a fight with Fedor he would retire because he felt that Fedor was the only heavyweight in the world who coud really challenge him, and if he wasn't fighting someone who stood a real chance of beating him he would just be fighting for the money, and thats not why he wanted to fight. This happened after Fedor announced that he was signing with another production(M-1 fights in Russia).

Here's the article http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-couture101107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

He couldn't have picked a better time to go out though, he's a 2-time light heavyweight and 3-time heavyweight champion and he's beaten MMA's A-list into submission for years and the whole time he's always been one of the most polite, respectful and classy competitors out there, and the fact that he came back at the age of 43 to beat Sylvia is nothing short of amazing. It just sucks to see him go, he's one of my heros, I wanted to cry when I read the article:(

And not to knock Fedor too bad but, WTF!!!! If h really thinks he is the best heavyweight in the world than he would have signed with the UFC. If you want to be a legend you have to fight a legend and right now in that weight class Randy is about the only man standing who can claim that title. I see it as Fedor playin a smoke and mirrors game to make himself look like the best, but fighting in M-1 where there are no top rated heavyweights means he's not the real thing.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

So what happens with the belt?

I wasn't a devoted watcher when got t-boned on his bike.
Do they just have the top 2 contenders fight for it?

And, yes, that sucks but that guy is a true champion and at least he won't fall off the earth. I'm sure he'll go back to commentation.

Maybe, He'll come back if some miracle brings Fedor to Ufc in the near future.
My photos

My Videos

the UFC will pick the two top contenders and pit them against each other, my guess, whoever wins the Sylvia/Vera fight will be the first one in line for it.

And, yes, that sucks but that guy is a true champion and at least he won't fall off the earth. I'm sure he'll go back to commentation.

Nope, he said he won't even be broadcasting with the UFC, he has actually been doing that for th last couple years to improve his on-camera appearance to help with his acting. He is filming a movie right now.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Fedor may not want to come to the UFC because of Pride's record so far. I thought the merger would bring talent, but it has not worked out that way so far. Randy is a real class act. I am sure he will be training some future champs.

Or Fedor could very well be playing the Frank Shamrockesque smoke and mirrors game of intentionally seeking out lesser talent to pick on to give the impression he is unstoppable. It's hard to say, but if he was half the warrior Randy is he would be kicking down Dana White's door to get in the octagon with Randy.

As for training future champs, well Forrest is a product of Randy's camp, so is Karo Parysian, not to mention Wanderlei has recently started training with Randy as well. there are some great fighters working their way up the ladder but I'm really going to miss the way Randy fought, his name is synonymous with MMA.

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I think the octagon has a few people confused but not all of them have lost.

I was surpised to seeCro Cop settle in for the 2nd loss against Kongo.

there wasn't much going on I think he may have been thinking too much.

Then again I was surprised at Chucks loss to Jardine.
I thought it would be a brawl but chuck seemed to forget that he needed that win.
It may be time for him to learn some ground skills. This new breed won't Lay still for him.
My photos

My Videos

BTW- Ever get the feeling there arent alot of UFC watchers here?:D

ME ME ME

I loved to watch when I was training BJJ.. I still like it, but I don't get to watch it very often; especially after being so popular...every other weekend we have one..and it's boring.
too much "comercial":P

but yeah.. I like it.

I will confirm this Randy "thing";)
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

Then again I was surprised at Chucks loss to Jardine.
I thought it would be a brawl but chuck seemed to forget that he needed that win.
It may be time for him to learn some ground skills. This new breed won't Lay still for him.

Problem with the Jardine Chuck fight was that Jardine's awkward stance and fighting style just married up with Chuck's perectly. Remember how Jardine was keeping his left shoulder low and hunching over, well Chucks big overhand right(which causes 90% of his KO's) was slipping right off Jardine's head because of that stance. He was playin for keeps in the first round but by the second he was getting frustrated because his punches weren't being as effective as he wanted. Blame his trainer for not chaning up his game plan between rounds.

As for his ground skills, Chuck was a well classed division 1 wrestler in college, wrestling is part of his daily routine(which is why he can scramble so well) and in terms of submissions he probably has the skills of a solid purple belt or even better(for comparison GSP is a purple belt). He just doesn't like it down there, unlike me, I love the ground, I don't get punched as much down there and I'm a big baby that doesn't like getting punched!!!

In Randy's case though, I doubt he'll come back, he tappd out at the right time and did it for a good reason, he fights to prove he's the best and picking on the new up and coming fighters doesn't do that, it makes him a bully, so when Fedor backed out he had nothing left to prove. I miss him already:(

--Dwight D. Eisenhower

That's what I mean by I was surprised. (not that I knew that much technical stuff) But Chucks Motto is "why change the thing that got you this far" referring to his training.

He said exactly that prior to fight when he lost the belt.

He CONSTANTLY says I'll land that punch.....

He's always looking for the "one punch "not for the long haul. He finally fought another great striker and looked like an amateur, imo jardine was the underdog by far but he pulled the upset with style.

Chuck's only game plan is to land THE punch since that didnt work he had nothing to go to....not even a Jardine-styled kick.
My photos

My Videos

Randy's not done. Odds are he'll fight Fedor in M1, or whatever they decide to call M1's reincarnation. After that, if he's still fit and hungry, he'll come back to the UFC, this time earning more than Chuck.

The interesting question for the UFC now is who gets to contend for the belt.

I wasn't a devoted watcher when got t-boned on his bike.
Do they just have the top 2 contenders fight for it?

Maybe, He'll come back if some miracle brings Fedor to Ufc in the near future.

The same thing that happened when Penn left as champ, they just have a fight with the 2nd and 3rd best guys to determine the "new" champ.

Mark Klingelhoefer