billvon

San Diego/LA fires

About five years ago I got to see the Martin Mars in action. It was about an hour before sunset in July at the Pitt Meadows DZ outside Vancouver. The Okanagan Valley about 150 miles to the east was having a bad fire season and a lot of people were losing their homes. The Mars was returning from the fires back to Sprout Lake on Vancouver Island before dark. She flew over the DZ ever so slowly like a mythical beast. As we watched I noticed the smoke from a new fire at the University of British Columbia research forest located about 6 or 7 miles from the DZ. I thought it would be cool as well as useful if the passing relic could stop and put out the fire seeing as there is a lake located conveniently right beside the forest. Well someone else thought so too as the beast, that was quite a way to the west by now, made a slow turn and did a fly-by the fire. This was followed by a dip down to the lake for water, a practice run over the fire while she waited for the bird-dog plane to arrive and then one majestic sweep across the by then not insubstantial fire. That was it for the fire; the Martin Mars continued on her way home for the night without so much as a waggle of her wings and the tinder dry research forest slowly went to sleep.
I hope the old girl is as effective in the coming days as she was that night.
Stay safe everyone.

One of the most important things in life is 'living'. Material things just add to the glory of 'living'. I feel for the many people who've been displaced, adults, kids, animals. Similar to the fallout after hurricane Katrina and other disasters it will take alot of time for these people to recoop and rebuild. I work in L.A. and even though fire is a few miles away business is as usual with some exceptions. As a whole the workers are getting less done due to the smoke and ash, the air quality is so poor it slows people down. Best of luck to those affected by the fires.

Good luck to all the Cali peeps! I grew up very close to Malibu and spent 23 years in So. Cal. I couldn't deal with the fires, earthquakes, riots and landslides so I moved. Every place has it's pros and cons but these fires are the worst I have seen yet in Cali. Hang in there!!!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

from http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Gidroaviasalon2006/Highlights/index.html I found these cool photos of a Be 200 and AC-42 russian jet-powered seaplanes that can fight fires. I attached 2, but that are lot more at the site. Just space down past about 4 helocopter photos.
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk