bigway

$150 laptop

I'm not a developer, and don't know much about the less popular OSs... Obviously, not being a windows machine has its advantages, but what is that like for the common person who's known nothing but windows, how easy is it to use these OS (not including Apple of course)?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It uses Fedora Linux. Same looking "environment" as the new improved Vista or Mac OS. Check it out...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=linux&gbv=2

And if one chooses to use OpenOffice.org... don't have to pay nuthin for "MS Office" type apps.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Anybody know more about this?

Looking around on the net, there are no reports that anyone has actually received one after placing an order.

This discussion suggests that it might be a scam:

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/07/25/1519256.shtml

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

but what is that like for the common person who's known nothing but windows, how easy is it to use these OS (not including Apple of course)?

If your mom uses a browser to send and receive email, and she never wants to do anything else, then it's probably a better option than Windows. It's definitely a more stable OS - I've been using Redhat since release 6, and even though Fedora still could use a lot of work, your tech support will be limited.

Anyway, eventually, someone is going to email your mom some crochet pattern application that only works on Windows, and then you're screwed. She'll whine for the next six months about how she can't open that and ask if you can make it work.

Short answer - buy your mom a Mac. Linux is still for people that like to tinker hard-core.

Edit - just want to add for anyone who's thinking of buying this laptop - immediately upgrade to 1 gig memory. Seriously. Even for Linux. With Redhat 9, I had to upgrade from 256 to 512 just to make it run decently. With Fedora, you really do want 1 gig. The hard drive is probably adequate (but OpenOffice can suck that down if you are planning on using Office apps).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

;) I don't post as much as I used to, but I still post. I think it was CanuckInUSA that pointed out that I have WAY more posts than jumps, so I thought it would be better if I shut up and jumped more :D Still lurk though. I saw that thread and thought "AggieDave", then I just saw AggieDave post, so I guess I'm not the only one limiting myself.

Keep posting yourself, though! I still read 'em :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I have WAY more posts than jumps

Yeah, there is no way in HELL I will ever get any where near my post numbers in jumps in my lifetime, so I'm already doomed! :D:D:D

I usually out-last those that tell me to shut upon dz.com...:):D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Seeing as this thread has been resurrected I might as well add that I did some digging and noone seems to have received the product to date [:/]

There are alot of blogs etc like this with people singing its praises but noone has confirmed they have actually received the item. Just a warning