bodypilot90

who is using linux

Ok, and update to my linux problems.....

So I reinstalled windows on my laptop, formated, new partitions, etc.....
Just windows xp home on the computer with a couple other partions to play with.
Installed Ubuntu that way, it worked to dual boot, but it was very limited on the windows side.

Then since I'm a glutton for punishment, I redid the hardrive again for the "factory restore" settings. Well, now I can't get any additional partitions.... HELP
With the factory settings, my laptop will install the needed drivers for my internal wireless card and other hardware, but I can't make any new partitions to the "C" drive...........
HELP
I don't have any software like "partition Magic" or anything like this.... pain in the A$$
Sorry had to vent.
so, I'm back to windows on this machine till I can get something to build partions on my existing "C" drive without blowing everyting out again.
B|

Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

I'm a big fan of ubuntu. Right now I'm on windows for school software and gaming but want to put 7.04 back on bad.

I always put the newest ubuntu on whenever they come out with one. Much better than windows for what I do mostly. And it only takes a half hour to format and all that which is nice.
26tt

so, I'm back to windows on this machine till I can get something to build partions on my existing "C" drive without blowing everyting out again.

I was able to add and resize partitions on my windows drive w/o losing the win stuff using this:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Worked great. Its free too. YMMV, though.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Ok, new solution to the Linux on existing windows partition problem.....

I'm trying a program called Wubi.

http://www.wubi-installer.org/index.php

It will install the version of linux that you choose on your excisting windows partition. It runs inside windows, but works like a dual boot. Giving it a shot.......... we'll see what happens.
Goggles and Teeth

WUBI installer works great.
If you are interested in trying linux, I would say it is the way to go. Currently, it only installs version 7.04 (fiesty fawn), but with some tweaking, you can get the update to 7.10 (gusty gibbon.)
I'm trying to update to version 7.10 now on my laptop...... so far so good. stay tuned.....
Goggles and Teeth

So is WUBI just a way to avoid adding a new partition to a drive without losing what''s on the drive?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I have to agree with you, if you have to have windows on your system for school, gaming or what have you WUBI is the way to go. I have one laptop running Ubuntu and the other running Xubuntu. Programs like partition magic are hard on your drive and on some windows based computer leads to problems down the road. The only reason that I go back in to windows is to update my iPod.
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor

yeah, wubi is the way to go without having to worry about new partitions, etc.....
This update is taking forever to install. I figured it would do it while I was in bed..... nope, hung up on a pop up question for about 5 hours. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I hope to have Gutsy Gibbon going in about 1 hour and 41 minutes..... at least that is what it is telling me
Goggles and Teeth

I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu 7.04. Whilst running Ubuntu you can still access the NTFS formatted partition if you download the necessary program, which is available from the simple add/remove program function.

I had a problem altering existing partitions too though, so I made sure I had them all set up correctly initially. The partition editor in the install software is sufficient I found, but I have never felt the need to create any additional partitions after getting it up and running