skymedic

OS 10.5 Leopard...

Was I the only one around here that waited in line last week? I got me a real live free Apple Tshirt and a great operating system to boot. LOVE LOVE LOVE Time Machine, Spaces, AND the parental controls. Great stuff. All in all a great update. not HUGE but good. Mail and iCal are also very good updates too.

anyone else have an cheers or jeers on it after playing with it? I've only had it installed since Sat. Morning.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Last week the package manager of both my computers popped up with a message saying a new distribution was ready to install. I pressed the install button and an hour or so later the new OS was installed. No free shirt - but all free software.

I thought I had my new laptop all picked out... I'm finally making the switch to mac... until I got to work today and someone started talking to me about the Leopard.

So you think it's worth it? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Um, huh?

All new Macs come with Leopard, starting last Friday, so it shouldn't change your decision.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Best new feature: Time Machine. Simple, seamless backups that work. Awesome.

Worst new feature: Stacks. I used to leave folders in my dock and use them as click-through menus to get into the sub-folders. Stacks eliminates that functionality, so now I'm stuck downloading 3rd party patches (like Xmenu) to try to do the same thing.

The under the hood upgrades to spotlight are very nice. I can now use it as a launcher, and it's faster than almost anything else--even having already put something into the dock.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Best new feature: Time Machine. Simple, seamless backups that work. Awesome.

Worst new feature: Stacks. I used to leave folders in my dock and use them as click-through menus to get into the sub-folders. Stacks eliminates that functionality, so now I'm stuck downloading 3rd party patches (like Xmenu) to try to do the same thing.

The under the hood upgrades to spotlight are very nice. I can now use it as a launcher, and it's faster than almost anything else--even having already put something into the dock.

Mark, you weren't alone in being a Mac geek on Friday....I was at my Mac Guy's place before 6.

I am overall very happy with Leopard so far.

I have installed it on my MacBook at home. I find Safari is much quicker to start. Mail is far more responsive. I don't care for the new Dock and found a way to get rid of it and use the same look that Leopard uses when the Dock is on the side of the screen. Time Machine works very slick. I deleted a file on my desktop on Saturday and went back on Sunday to restore it. Absolutely awesome how easy it works.

I am also not sure if I think Stacks is an improvement or not.

Once a couple of programs that I use extensively are updated to work with Leopard I will get a copy for my work machine. Time Machine is going to save my ass sometime in the future, of that I am certain.

The new file viewer Quicklook is great.

The Cover Flow in the Finder also is very slick and will also be useful at work.

The updated DVD player is also supposed to work very well but I haven't had time to use it.

The new iChat will also be awesome...remote desktop control/viewing will be awesome for helping out friends/family remotely.

It is taking other developers some time to get everything upgraded to work properly with Leopard so be sure to chack that your important programs will work under Leopard before installing 10.5.

Most things feel faster or no change....always nice when you upgrade your OS.

So far, so good....I think it is worth getting.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What's really screwed up is i get leopard and my wife got an iPhone. LOL....which she has fallen in love with. I'll get mine soon.

further review of leopard...

LOVE-the preview, used the new DVD player yesterday at work..works well. a nice improvement over last time. I also really enjoy the new iCal and events and notes in Mail.

Not a huge fan of stacks. Just don't see the use. as I had dragged my apps folder to the dock before and worked just fine(thanks to a tip by murrays). Also not a huge fan of the new dock. I liked my old triangles letting me know which which program is running. The new little glowing balls are tough to see in my opinion.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Marc,

I got rid of the 3-d effect and glowing things under the icons in the dock by following this tip on TUAW. I much prefer it but I have NO idea what you do to reverse it..maybe do it again with boolean - No instead of yes?? It also replaces the black triangles with white dots.

See screen capture attached....

And also a screen capture of my kids using iChat...I had to follow another tip to get the Star Wars hologram effect.

Murray

Tell me about the DVD player I thought that the old one was limited compared to other systems out there.

I just checked it out for a few minutes....you can enable deinterlacing at 3 different levels of goodness. You can set how fast the ff and REW go through the disk..likely a few other things like that. When you go into full screen mode you get a bar across the top that appears when you move the mouse that allows you to select another chapter. Nice controls across the bottom when you move the mouse down there.

That's about it from my 2 minutes look!! ;)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

So far I like it, but I had to get a new VPN from Cisco to use the University's Wifi. Also had to tweek iChat, but Leopard seems to be a much smoother OS X.

I did like the hack to 2D the dock. I also shrunk it so I can get more workspace.

Anyone have other good hacks they want to share?

I am so glad I went Mac this year.
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

I just ordered mine, I had forgotten that I had a $100 gift certificate from mac for my I phone. so I ordered it today. what do you all think of it since you have had time to play with the new OS?
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

I just ordered mine, I had forgotten that I had a $100 gift certificate from mac for my I phone. so I ordered it today. what do you all think of it since you have had time to play with the new OS?

It's nice, but I really don't see a lot of changes. Perhaps wait until you need to upgrade...
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

Lots of good things. My only gripes so far are Stacks and the new Dock. There are lots of ways to change the Dock but I haven't seen anybody come up with a way to change how Stacks works.

Some applications load much faster...Mail and Safari. Mail is quicker when you are dealing with large mailboxes.

Quicklook is GREAT! Time Machine is wonderful. The new iChat looks very cool but I haven't had the opportunity to use it with anybody yet.

All in all, I think it is a good upgrade. Knowing that my photos and iTunes library are always being backed up is worth the upgrade to me. I have a 500gb Firewire drive that I got for $159 from Costco set up as my Time Machine..pretty cheap backup system!

Murray