homer

Death of another DZ

Like anyone of you have ever jumped there but it's with sad news that my home DZ, Richland Skysports in Richland,WA has closed it's doors after who knows how many years of business. I learned of the sad news yesterday when I went in to get a reserve repack and talked to the DZO. The decision was made last friday and he hopes to have the place cleaned out and planes, gear and video equipment sold off by the first of the year.

Anyone interested in a Cessna 206 and a Twin Bonanza?

Forgot to add- The first CRW 36-way diamond was built there.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Like anyone of you have ever jumped there

That's a real bummer. I used to jump there at least once or twice a year when I lived up by Wenatchee (Leavenworth) I also used to stop in when the wife was going to college over in Moscow and I was passing through from Oregon.

I've Known larry and Herbie since the 80's. Larry and I were both instructors at Ralphs before Larry started up the DZ in Richland. Been on lots of loads with those two, mostly with Larry. Larry presented my diamond wings at a boogie in Madras back in '03

Any word on what Warners plans are now that he is getting out of the DZ business? Is the DZ for sale or just the equipment/planes?

Unfortunatley I think we are going to see a lot more of this in the upcoming years. So many DZOs are getting older and it doesn't seem like the new generation has what it takes to keep things going. I would love to have my own DZ some day but I just don't think I would ever be able to afford such a venture.
:(

If the Mom and Pop drozones continue to go by the wayside eventually we will all have to travel long distances to large commercial centers if we want to keep jumping. I have jumped at several DZ's in the Northwest that are gone now and I can think of at least two more that will probably be gone in the next decade if someone doesn't step up to fill the void.
:(

Any word on what Warners plans are now that he is getting out of the DZ business? Is the DZ for sale or just the equipment/planes?

Larry's been buying rental houses here and there in recent years, but he is 71 years old...I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to slow down a bit. I think they'd be happy to find someone who wanted buy the whole DZ rather than just selling off the pieces of it. I'd consider it myself if I was more knowledgeable on the airplane/pilot side of things. Maybe in a few more years...

In the meantime, West Plains Skydiving is moving to Ritzville this winter. 8 years ago we had Cessna dropzones in Richland, Kennewick, Yakima, and Mead. Now we'll just have one DZ in all of eastern Washington, but at least it's a turbine DZ. If I had to pick the best location to consolidate eastern Washington jumpers, I think it'd boil down to Ritzville or Moses Lake, and Moses Lake is a bit far to expect the largest population base (Spokane) to drive to (plus it may have other air traffic concerns). I've loved having a DZ less than 2 miles from my house for the last 13 years and I wish it wasn't closing up. Still, West Plains isn't that far and the people there are just as fun. Larry and Bob are my friends and I wish them all the best.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I had a BLAST when I jumped there!!! It was my :D cessna jump. ;) I learned quickly that I am an otter brat!!!! :D

Cool ass lil DZ and vibe.

SALUT!!!!

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

The DZ has been listed for sale about 2 years now without any interest. Larry and Bob would like to see the DZ sold as a whole but dought it will happen. The building will be turned over the the port commission come years end.

Like everything, all good things must come to an end.

I just wish I could have gotten my 500 jump before it closed. Guess it will have to be West Plains this weekend.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

it really sucks...

Last time I was there I finally opened my locker and found two of the three logbooks I havent been able to find....

I owe Larry and Bob both many many thank you's... for letting me work there, letting me learn to swoop even though I didnt know what the fuck I was doing and was death on a stick back then with the toggle whips... for the bullshit sessions of "way back when"... man....these older jumpers were the shit, pure and simple, for letting me have a dog on the dz day in and out, hell...for letting me live on the dz most of the year.....

It was the only dz that ever felt like home.

saw this coming some time ago...

shit

roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Bummer dudes and dudettes.... I have never made a trip there (YET) Does anyone know some figures like what is the asking price, how about an avg annual jump number? I myself am a winter, mountain type person about halfway into retirement and would just love to sink my teeth into something like this... EVEN if I could never get it payed off before my "permanent vacation" (cant take it with me anyway)at least the "regulars" would still have a HOME DZ to hang and jump at....! I also dont know much about DZ ops, but willing to learn and wouldnt make any major changes unless it was absolutely necessary.... I wonder if the currant DZO would sticj around for a brief time to aid in a transition??? Hummmm

:(:(:(:(: no winter jumping for us spokanites now unless we fly south for the winter :(:(

Ugh...Spokane. Wasn't there, WAY back in the day, a DZ out by Cat Tales?
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

:(:(:(:(: no winter jumping for us spokanites now unless we fly south for the winter :(:(

Ugh...Spokane. Wasn't there, WAY back in the day, a DZ out by Cat Tales?

That was the mead airport....they moved from there out to davenport quite a while ago....now we are moving to ritzville, but it is a private airport surrounded by two farmers who love skydivers so it will be a good move for the DZ.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/tch/business/story/9433520p-9345667c.html

I guess I need to go get some stuff myself pretty soon. FYI - Muttley & I are moving to Pasco in a couple of weeks and the guest room won't have nearly so much junk in it. Have you met Minka yet?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)