alw

Alti-Track Finally and worth the wait

Finally got my Altitrack Friday and jumped it all weekend. I learned several things that may be of interest.

First things first - Thanks L&B it was worth the wait.

The first jump was noticeably unfamiliar looking at the needle at 9 O'Clock on a 15K jump, but every jump after that was just like I had always been jumping with that scale.

Playback was very nice, and helped replay the dive in my mind and with the video.

When you take off the needle stays on "0" for a short period, and then jumps up to 400 or 500 feet. Beyond that it performs very much like any analog alti.

The canopy flight record was also interesting and informative. If the canopy ride is planned and executed to test various maneuvers you can get a pretty good picture of what is going on. I did that and was pleased with the information and results. Next week I'll be better prepared for some things I've been wanting to try with this instrument.

Flying it with the wingsuit was particularly informative. The ergonomic fit and rotated face also aided in reading it in flight.

I was expecting a blue tooth interface that was integral to the unit, and now know that it is an accessory that plugs in to the unit. I'll be awaiting its release.

I also ran into a quirk with the wrist strap. It is longer that I need, and so about 3 inches extends past the velcro. That was a concern, and I didn't really want to cut off the excess. I solved it with a bit of double sided velcro tape from Lowe's by wrapping it around the band effectively extending the available velcro to close the band.

All in all another quality piece of equipment from L&B.

A note on electronic vs. mechanical. I heard the comment several times this weekend, "I like the idea of a mechanical altimeter." I can respect that opinion. For me, the Optima in my helmet matched the Altitrack at every setpoint. I also remember when altimeters in freefall were a novelty (I know my profile doesn't look like I could make that comment, but it only references "square" canopies).

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

What do you mean by the playback? do you mean playback on the computer with software or does the needle go through the last jump with you or something??

Thanks.

You can play the jump and canopy ride back on the Altitrack itself in 1/4 speed, 1x speed, and fast forward. You can also reverse and stop the playback.

The pictures on the web site are better than any I could take. Note that the 12 to 6 O'clock position are 1000 ft increments, 6-9 2000 ft increments, and 9-12 and beyond 3000 ft increments.

You can also delete individual jumps.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

One can play back the jump on both the digital display and on the analog display. On the digital display one can play forward/backwards in different speeds and it displays the height, time and speed. When doing an analog playback (great for students), it can only play it back at normal speed, I didn't watch the digital display at the time so I don't know what it shows there during playback. For safety reasons it is not possible to start analog playback while the unit is in jump mode (a plane icon is shown on the unit).

Yeah what's with that wriststrap? I could have put that thing around my leg. Instead, the extra velcro just liked to catch on everything... my shirt, my jumpsuit, my steering lines...

I cut off the excess in the same triangular shape, pulled out the trusty soldering iron, and melted the end sealed. A week and several freefalls later, all is well.

Can any one tell me the difference between the symmetrical and asymmetrical?

Asymmetrical means 0 is in a watch like position, it's at 90 degrees to your arm, asymmetrical means it's inline with your wrist with 0 pointing at your middle finger.

I'm sure one of these statements is supposed to start with the word symmetrical :S
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

asymetrical goes to 20k with the spacing changing.
the other means it goes to 12 k or maybe a bit higher and staying in increments of 1000 feet.

An answer that makes sense, Thanks. :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Can any one tell me the difference between the symmetrical and asymmetrical?

Asymmetrical means 0 is in a watch like position, it's at 90 degrees to your arm, asymmetrical means it's inline with your wrist with 0 pointing at your middle finger.

I'm sure one of these statements is supposed to start with the word symmetrical :S

Wow I really couldn't have got that much more wrong :)

BOOM Headshot

the other means it goes to 12 k or maybe a bit higher and staying in increments of 1000 feet.

IIRC, the first 6000 is from 0 to 6 o'clock, which is the same as a regular alti. But you're up to 12k by 9 o'clock, and 18 by 11 o'clock.

IIRC, the first 6000 is from 0 to 6 o'clock, which is the same as a regular alti. But you're up to 12k by 9 o'clock, and 18 by 11 o'clock.

That's what I meant:P

.Karnage Krew Gear Store