WatchYourStep

Do Macs ever go on sale?

I'm making the change to a Mac. Does Apple ever have sales on Macs like Dell and the PC groups do? If so I may wait, if not I'm ordering in the next few days.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Pretty much never - I'm in the same boat. I bought a Mac Book Pro last night, and I'll let you in on a little secret: the educational discount. Once you select the piece of hardware you want, it should be a link right under its picture. It knocks a few hundred bucks off the price.

Now I am actually a student, so I qualify - but between you, me, and the wall, they don't actually verify that you are a student. ;) I think partly b/c a parent is allowed to buy a computer for their kid, etc. etc. Just click the link and choose a school.

So maybe give it a look... it knocked my MBP down $300!

edited to add: this is on their website, not sure about over the phone or in stores.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

Thanks Shepp. I actually qualify for one since I work for a university, but I didn't know if they ever had any other offers.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Thanks Shepp. I actually qualify for one since I work for a university, but I didn't know if they ever had any other offers.

I work for a University and when I bought my iMac at the bookstore, they had a special going on and I received a free iPod with it. Check your bookstore for specials as I know our's always has something running.
'Shell

You can also buy refurbed machines from apple.com. Click on the store tab and look for a blurb off to the side about special prices.

I find that you have to be careful to actually save money buying a refurb. Because you have no flexibility in the RAM/hard drive size, be very careful to weigh what you are getting plus the costs of adding ram to a machine actually available for full price. Most of the time, I think a person is better off buying at full price. That being said, I snagged a black Macbook last summer at a good price but I am always checking out what is available and know what the current configurations are.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks.

Right now I'm looking at getting the 24" Mac with 2.8 processor. The only upgrades I'm doing is going with
2GB of ram. Everything else is standard. Should be a fun little machine for editing and what not.

Thoughts?

I'm jealous. I've got an older Mac with the powerPC 800mhz chip, but it still runs OSX 10.5 just fine, and can still edit videos very nicely. You'll have a very kick-a$$ system to play with. If you get Final Cut Express along with it, you'll also have a pretty close to professional quality editing system.

Photos, audio and video are all seamlessly set up for editing right out of the box. You're going to love it.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

if you are looking to save money, don't upgrade the RAM through Apple. Buy the laptop and get the ram form somewhere else, but get good ram.

THeir memory is great and all, but ridiculously priced compared to what you can find other places. I bought my Powermac G5 with 2 gigs of ram and have since added 6 gigs for what it would cost to have them install 2 with it when I bought it.

Easy to install... one screw, pop it in, tah-dah!
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

My niece went to a University in Australia back in 2003. They rewarded all students who maintained a 4.0 GPA a free, brand new, iBook. :)
She still has it and loves her introduction into the Mac World. B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

My niece went to a University in Australia back in 2003. They rewarded all students who maintained a 4.0 GPA a free, brand new, iBook. :)B|
ltdiver

What Uni was that :o
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'll let you in on a little secret: the educational discount. Once you select the piece of hardware you want, it should be a link right under its picture. It knocks a few hundred bucks off the price.

So maybe give it a look... it knocked my MBP down $300!

Plus they might throw in some extras as well. I bought my daughter a Mac Book for college last summer at a good discounted price. We also got rebate deals on a HP printer/scanner, and an iPod. With the rebates, the printer came out absolutely free and we got a top of the line iPod for about $65. And my daughter says her Mac Book is "totally awesome". Which is what I was hoping she'd say.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Thanks.

Right now I'm looking at getting the 24" Mac with 2.8 processor. The only upgrades I'm doing is going with
2GB of ram. Everything else is standard. Should be a fun little machine for editing and what not.

Thoughts?

Add me to the list of jealous people!!

That should be a great machine. The only thing I would suggest you look at is a larger hard drive if you are doing video editing. I'm always amazed at how quickly every hard drive I own fills up.

Maybe an external drive for Time Machine as well?

Sell your 1 gb Ram sticks and buy 2 2gb sticks from a good ram supplier???

I can't really think of much else. I have a 20" iMac at work and love the thing....I think you will be very happy with the machine you have chosen. Let us know how the transition goes for you and check back if you have any questions.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey