JohnRich

The new VW Beetle

I was poking around for ideas for buying a newer car, an economy model, and looked at the new VW Beetles.

I was very surprised to discover that with only a 2.5L 5-cylinder gasoline engine, they only get 20 mpg city and 28 mpg highway.

Heck, I've got a 98 Buick Riviera and a 01 Chevy Blazer that get that kind of gas mileage, with 3.8L and 4.3L V-6 engines.

So how come that little Beetle gets such lousy gas mileage for it's size?

VW Specs:
http://www.vw.com/newbeetle/completespecs/en/us/

This Spring VW is going to start selling the "clean diesel" in some of the models - 40+ City, 50+ highway, 95%less sulfur, and almost no smell.

Whether buying new or used, I would much rather have a diesel than a hybrid any day, especially if the diesel is a VW. I have thought about getting a used Jetta or Passat myself as a commuter, because my Xterra gas mileage is crap, especially with the snow tires (for all the Alabama snow, you know).
Roll Tide Roll

Whoops sorry Amazon beat me (!!) to it.

The Diesel one is better on the fuel ....

2006 Volkswagen Beetle TDI Hatchback Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- Turbo compressor
- 1,896 cc 1.9 liters in-line 4 front engine with 79.5 mm bore, 95.5 mm stroke, 19 compression ratio, overhead cam and two valves per cylinder
- Diesel fuel
- Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 44 and EPA city (mpg): 37
- Diesel direct injection fuel system
- 14.5 gallon main diesel fuel tank
- Power: 75 kW , 100 HP SAE @ 4,000 rpm; 177 ft lb , 240 Nm @ 1,800 rpm

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I have no problem finding it for my Dodge 4x4 3/4 ton with a Cummins diesel... and I have put 106,000 miles on it since Nov of 2002 when I bought it new. and I still get 25 MPG on the freeway at 65 MPH.

I had a Diesel Bunny when I was in college in the early 1980's.. and I managed to get 52 MPG on it a few times... driving 55.... being carefull how I accelerated...

:D:D:D

I've heard that it's not too easy to get diesil at the pumps in some states... Is this still the case?

Not really. It's available at about 3/4 of the gas stations.

I'm in lust with the Eos. I love the advent of retractable hardtops. Now just make it in a diesel and you've got me sold...of course I'll be waiting 3 years to buy it used. New cars are a fucking waste of $$.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

[Amazon] Get the TDI and get 45 MPG

Those seem to be rare and hard to find. And the 2007 models don't even seem to list TDI as an engine option.

[Amazon] the freakin buttlickers in Wolfsburg wont build abug with a diesel with a convertible...

I noticed that too in my research. I wonder why? Maybe the exhaust wafts back into the car, choking the occupants?

[raftman] The beetle is a chicks car. Get a Jetta, more car for the same $.

Yeah, but think of all the chicks I could pick up driving around in that cute little thing. I have noticed that the large majority of the drivers seem to be women. Although I know one guy who is 6'2" and 240 lbs. who has one - it's interesting to watch that monster climb out of that little bug.

[catfishhunter] They under qoute the MPG. My wifes getting about 35 mpg with her bug.

Wow. Why would they under-list the mileage that severely? If anything, I would think the auto makers would fudge on the high side.

I worked with several gay guys when I was at Microsoft.... ALL three of them drove Jetta's..... and used to joke about it.... that it was far too common in their community.:D

The Jetta is to gay men as the Subaru is to lesbians. :ph34r:

While the Beetle may not be as categorically gay as the Jetta, the men driving them still look almost as silly as those men who drive Miatas.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

A line from the movie Bad Boys comes to mind. I think it was something about Will Smiths porshe being a big shinny dick, and they were the balls just dragging along. LOL
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P