MrFreefall383

Christmas Week Fitness Freaks... Who's avoiding the holiday pigout?

I better not be the only one.

Sunday, I slept in for the first day in over a month. Had a friend over to hang out for a while, finish our Christmas shopping, drink a little beer, and play SOCOM 3: US Navy SEALs. He asked me, "Are you really going to wake up tomorrow at 5?" I said, "Yeah, why not?" He said, "Take a holiday." I responded, "I did take a holiday, it's called 'today.'" He shook his head, laughed a bit, and said, "You're insane." Yeah, I guess I am insane.

So I swam this morning after my first sleep-in day in a month. Really hauled ass, still meeting or beating my numbers, and I'm completely able to ignore pain when I'm in the water now. First was 40 laps of front crawl in 17 minutes or so, then 20 of hypoxic, then another 20 of kick development. Will be doing some abs this afternoon, and pushups and abs tomorrow morning. Wednesday I have a buddy coming with me to the pool, and I'll be hitting it mostly for comfort swimming with the snorkel and fins. I'll probably fit everything in though, because I don't have to work until shipping out.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Not me, sorry! Work Christmas party on Friday, family party Saturday, and we entertained yesterday complete with my special home made egg nog. Lots of food, lots of booze, very little sleep or exercise. I do have a session with my trainer on Thursday and there's a remote possibility of hitting the gym Wednesday. We'll see. :S

Admittedly I've been slacking a little yesterday and today - no exercise and a few brownies and cookies. No classes at the gym today or tomorrow but I'll definitely be there on Wednesday. I also switched up my routine a little bit last week and even added in a run on Saturday morning which I'm now thinking will be a permanent change. I've never been a "runner"...not even in school, but I have a friend who is and she's agreed to the task of helping me train for my first 5k in March. I believe it's an attainable goal. Wish me luck. Oh, and Merry Christmas my fellow fitness freaks!

Yes, Merry Xmas to you as well Miranda!

And that 5k is definitely an attainable goal. 5k is a nice little run. Best of luck on that, and keep us updated! The more updates the better, because if means we're not asking you about it, you're offering your new progress and pride in it to us. B|

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Hey, at least it's something, right? If you're doing something more productive than binging, then it's probably good for you. As for me, I did finish 300 situps and 300 flutterkicks yesterday in addition to my swim. Today I might do some pushup sets throughout the course of the day, and I'm swimming again first thing tomorrow morning.

Sunday, I slept in for the first day in over a month. Had a friend over to hang out for a while, finish our Christmas shopping, drink a little beer, and play SOCOM 3: US Navy SEALs. He asked me, "Are you really going to wake up tomorrow at 5?" I said, "Yeah, why not?" He said, "Take a holiday." I responded, "I did take a holiday, it's called 'today.'" He shook his head, laughed a bit, and said, "You're insane." Yeah, I guess I am insane.

So I swam this morning after my first sleep-in day in a month. Really hauled ass, still meeting or beating my numbers, and I'm completely able to ignore pain when I'm in the water now. First was 40 laps of front crawl in 17 minutes or so, then 20 of hypoxic, then another 20 of kick development. Will be doing some abs this afternoon, and pushups and abs tomorrow morning. Wednesday I have a buddy coming with me to the pool, and I'll be hitting it mostly for comfort swimming with the snorkel and fins. I'll probably fit everything in though, because I don't have to work until shipping out.

what can i say....got 2 days in last week and then my kids came to hang out.....time got sucked away and am going to get back into the groove tomorrow.....needless to say I have avoided the scale:S:S:S:S. Now back to reality!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Where do you swim? Does your gym have a pool?

Negative, no gym, just a community center with a pool built into the back half. I'm not a gym kind of guy. Too much rampant bullshit flying around.

Ready to choke and die? I haven't worked out since Monday morning. [:/] Having family over puts some damper on things, and of course my best friend's back home from his place in Atlanta for a few weeks doing car work, and I can't resist car work till extreme hours of the morning. And since I'm shipping out in a couple weeks, I figure I might as well enjoy his time while I can, since I'll probably be mostly out of touch for the next couple years. My justification is that I'll start again once the car work is done, which should be by Sunday, and it'll be a nice hefty break for everything to recover fully. Hit it again for a week and change, and still go to Basic in 4 times better shape than everyone there. Needless to say, when I start up again, I'll be itching to push it twice as hard as before. But for now, I'm a lazy slob.

Ready to choke and die? I haven't worked out since Monday morning.

H-o-l-y crap. :|

:D Enjoy your break...Joe and I took different approaches to basic training (we hadn't met, but we've talked about it). Apparently, Joe partied like a rock star, packed on weight, and lay around playing video games with his buddies. He figured the army and Ranger training would get him into shape. He figured right! :D

Me on the other hand...I had to push myself just to get down to an acceptable weight for entry. I think I weighed in at 138 at MEPS (I was 5' 4" and 19 years old, so my height/weight scale allowed for zero slack :S). I was still 'overweight' for entry, but I passed the tape test -if you ever put on a goodly amount of muscle mass, you'll become very familiar with the 'tape test' unless things have changed in the past few years. :D:D I was starving myself, sweating hours a day in a sauna suit on a stairmaster...running every morning...but I refused to do push ups (that was DUMB :S). Anyhoo, I still wish I had had some better cardio training prior to going in, but back then -1992- the 'zen' of running and endurance training wasn't real big up here (or at least I wasn't aware of it).

You're going to be way ahead of the game getting the physical part out of the way. You'll be surprised how many people in your training group allow the physical aspect to take them out of the game. I admit to struggling, but my determination was such that it didn't matter. I think you're going to shine. B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well damn, that's a vote of confidence if I ever saw one!

The physical portion will not take me out of the game, no way, no how. I've trained very hard to get where I am now, still have a way to go before I reach my absolute limit of physical conditioning, just hoping that this week won't mean much. So far I feel like I've caught up on a few extra hours of sleep this week, and that might do me wonders next week on the pre-shipping routine, and then once I get in, I'll be well-conditioned, well-rested, and ready to kick ass in a big way. The runs should be easy, swims should be almost a joke, core shouldn't be much of a problem, which leaves the books, and I'm much more level-headed and focused now than I was a year ago prior to starting the OCS process. I already shoot handguns well, used to know knots from the Boy Scouts, first aid from being a lifeguard, survival from just being an adventurer, this should almost be fun. B|

Good luck bro, sounds like the payoff is going to be worth the work you put in thus far...thats awesome though dude....once its all over, you'll have to give us a HUGE update on what went on and everything....

As for myself this week, I haven't been pigging out, but my diet has been less than favorable and I haven't been able to get to the gym because i'm at work at 7 am leaving at 3 to get the tunnel to work and then working until 11 or 11:30 at the tunnel every night this week.

So not much time for anything, and oh yeah, we got about 20 inches of snow in the past few days...add that to the mix too...

But I plan on being back in the gym sunday again...., so i havent been pigging out exactly but not being able to get the gym is killing me...
[:/]

Oh and I just realized that I've been working out consistently for about 7 months now :)

Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

it`s no hope for you:S, you must be a skydiver!!

it`s no hope for you:S, you must be a skydiver!!

Definitely a skydiver. In fact, if I make it as a rescue swimmer and they decide to finally incorporate parachute deployment, you can bet your ass I'm going to volunteer to be their guinea pig. Already got my wings.

And to psipike02, yeah, I'll definitely shoot you guys and gals an update after I get out of Basic, and as often as I can until I become a rescue swimmer.