lisamariewillbe

A few questions on a Reflex

First off I now have my first Rig (beer) and second, Where is the reserve data sheet held at on this type of rig?

Also, what canopy has the smallest packing volume? Thats not elipitical or anything like that.

I wont be able to jump it for awhile as I still need a main canopy and AAD but I am tickled pink today.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Also, what canopy has the smallest packing volume? Thats not elipitical or anything like that.

Probably an F111 7-Cell, but I doub't you't want one of those as a main. :P

I'm fond of my Silhouette. It's half 0-3cfm fabric, so it's very easy to pack, and I think it packs a bit smaller than a full-ZP canopy of the same size. B|

At this point I dont care, I need to squeeze a 150 or a 170 into a container that had a 120 in it,

the reserves only a 134 I think... not sure if I can put a bigger one in it,

it might be awhile before I can acutally jump it and I dont care, it will be (is right now) worn regardless of it being jumped. Right now my kids are calling me a dork ... but I am a well dressed dork today :)

First off I now have my first Rig (beer) and second, Where is the reserve data sheet held at on this type of rig?

I wont be able to jump it for awhile as I still need a main canopy and AAD but I am tickled pink today.

There is a small pocket with the TSO label on it located on the inside of the pin protector flap. What size (R-??.??) is it? That will make it easier to figure out what canopies it can hold.

Mick.

There is a small pocket with the TSO label on it located on the inside of the pin protector flap. What size (R-??.??) is it? That will make it easier to figure out what canopies it can hold.

Don't listen to him, what could he possibly know about a Reflex? :S:P

Mick.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I need to squeeze a 150 or a 170 into a container that had a 120 in it,

Don't. Lots of people, even some manufacturers, say it's okay to put one size bigger main in a container than it was designed for (I happen to disagree with that). Nobody who knows anything about gear will tell you that it's okay to put a main two or three sizes bigger than what it was designed for in any container. Not only would packing be a major pain in the ass, it's not safe.

the reserves only a 134 I think. not sure if I can put a bigger one in it,

If you're not comfortable jumping a 135 main, a 134 reserve is too small for you. Ask a local rigger about putting a larger reserve in it; I think the answer will be no.

This is not the right rig for you right now. I know it's tough to find gear that fits your body on a tight budget but you need to keep looking until you find something that was designed to hold the canopy sizes that you are comfortable and confident under.

Don't think thats the right number. It's usually a three digit number, like R235-S. In case you haven't figured it out Mick is the one who made the Reflex. Listen and believe whatever he says about it.

But, for the most part with rigs that size your not going to get a bigger reserve in it. And if you ask your rigger will be very mad and disgusted with you. As for the main if it was a cross braced 120 you might get a 150 7 cell zp in it. But Mick will tell you for sure.

After the fact advice; you shouldn't buy a rig and then figure out if you can jump what it can hold. Even it is pretty colors.;) Put it away until your ready for it.:)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thats the only R number I see on it.

And if you ask your rigger will be very mad and disgusted with you.

No, not my rigger, and if so then Id find another rigger. No one should get mad at me for asking questions, esp if I pay them.

R A01-1 is the part number.
Lift up that orange flap at the bottom and underneath it will say something like "R590" (Well that's what mine says). Mine's an M-Flex built in 1999.

Then reply to riggermick with that number so you can get the right size main & reserve.

What Terry told you was right. No matter how much money you're paying them, riggers will get angry for asking them to step outside the manufacturers' specifications. You know how many times a day riggers get asked to do something like that?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

So does that mean it is okay to put a bigger reserve in it as well then? I guess I need to sit down with a rigger and have it all explained to me. At least I know the main can be bigger but I am concerned with the reserve size the most. I wont jump the one thats in there.

I didn't mean to imply that you would ask a rigger to break the rules or recommendations. And knowbody will be angry about you asking questions. But, trying to stuff the absolutely biggest reserve possible into a container, even if recommended as the limit by the manufacturer is a major pain. Even if the "book" says a particular reserve will fit but is the largest it may not.:S

Canopies can vary in pack volume from individual to individual by +/- 10%. And container can vary similarly. So even if someone else has done it YOUR particular canopy and container might not fit. I've run into this several times. The only way to know is to try to find a 143 for a rigger to try. Likely to be fine, but might not be.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I will not jump it until I am comfortable on the size reserve, I was just hoping I could get a bigger reseve, but one day I assume I will gain the experience to be on the 134

:o:o:o

Why would a smaller reserve be suitable when you have more experience?

For Great Deals on Gear

Because I am skinney and will downsize as soon as I have the skills needed to land the 143 in any condition I may find myself under it in. The only reserve ride I had was on a tempo 150. Going to a 143 when I have much more experience will not I assume make a huge difference from the 150.

Because I am skinney and will downsize as soon as I have the skills needed to land the 143 in any condition I may find myself under it in. The only reserve ride I had was on a tempo 150. Going to a 143 when I have much more experience will not I assume make a huge difference from the 150.

IIRC the PR 143 is as big or bigger than a Tempo 150.

What I was getting at was that if a reserve is too small for you now, it will still be too small later, IMO. One shouldn't choose a reserve based on their canopy skills, but rather the suitability for your exit weight. If you are incapacitated, it won't matter how much experience you have.

For Great Deals on Gear

Id be 1 to 1 on the reserve... Right now I am just lightly loaded. When I had my cutaway it was well lets just say I was not very smart and did not know what the reserve was... If I had I would have not borrowed the gear at the numbers I had, that being said I did what was best for me in the situation and gained a valuable lesson.

Is 1 to 1 not a good idea on a reserve? If I am at a 1 to 1 on the main?

say I was not very smart and did not know what the reserve was... If I had I would have not borrowed the gear at the numbers I had, that being said I did what was best for me in the situation and gained a valuable lesson.

Is 1 to 1 not a good idea on a reserve? If I am at a 1 to 1 on the main?

1 to 1 on a resrve is generally okay.

I think I misunderstood your original point. I did not realize you would be downsizing to a 1:1 WL.

What I was trying to point out is that jumpers hould not downsize their reserves like they downsize their mains. Some reserves may fly well at higher WL, but that does not mean the jumper will be able to fly well when the time comes to need the reserve.

Most times, a reserve ride will be uneventful, but not always. Occasionally, jumpers will find themselves injured under their reserves, and are not flying at 100%. It is for times like these, that it is better to go bigger than smaller with reserves.

For Great Deals on Gear

I see, yes most people think I should be on the 1 to 1 and I just havent and am not ready for it on either canopy just yet. Ill get there, but at my own pace. Im loaded pretty light, generally. Sometimes I am able to rent smaller (170) but mostly 200 to 230.