diablopilot

Anyone want to see what a $7000 t-shirt looks like?

Actually, my CFI said not that many people are interested in the tradition anymore.:|

I've noticed the same thing about the "bottle" after a reserve ride. Who's training these new jumpers anyway?:P

I soloed 25 years ago and the school didn't care about the shirt either ( brought an extra ). I was going to get my rigger a bottle but he stopped drinking- so he said get him a coffee ( he meant just a cup ) not a bag as he didn't own a coffee machine. Good riggers just aren't making enough to stick around.:(

Why $7000? You pay up the entire course? A good way to go without interruptions BTW. Normally a solo is just a few hundred smackers into it. Great way to keep you hooked through the rest of it.

Do they not cut the back of the shirt out any more?

I still have my "shirt tail" (the entire back of my shirt) from when I was 19 years old after soloing at Dekalb-Peachtree. Talk about a tight traffic-filled environment for learning.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Congratulations!

A funny story... I soloed at Oakland International on 27L. General aviation (27 L&R and 33) are on the northern half of the field; the air transport ops are on the southern half (29). Now, the traffic pattern for 27L is left, which puts you pretty close to the departure end of 29: you're actually required to squawk standby when in that pattern (reputedly to avoid alarming the TCAS devices in the SWA 737s). So there I was, nervously holding short of 27L, and I call for a takeoff clearance. The tower controller (who had been advised I was soloing) said...

"Archer 4319Y cleared for takeoff two seven left, squawk standby in left closed traffic... and don't hit the big jets."

Once I stopped laughing my ass off, you bet I read that back verbatim. ;)

That is a good story! I'm training at SBA which is a towered airport in a Class C, and when my CFI got out she instructed me to advise the tower I was a student pilot on my first solo.

I'm pretty sure absolutely everyone in that tower facility took the opportunity to answer one of my calls in the next three touch and go's just to offer a congratulations!:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.