ntrprnr

Download those You-Tube videos while you can...

Talented at being messed up for sure. Did you hear? She just got put into mental lockdown at a hospital! Somebody please give her a lobotomy. :S:P

That's cold. I've never liked her music all that much but at her young age she is a seasoned (to the point of being burned out, maybe) entertainer.

Her life and career have taken a bad turn but she's got talent and will hopefully get her life back on track.

I know this is unusually sensitive and caring coming fromr me and I apologize for that, but it gets worse.

I think Madonna is a talented performer too. I can't stand her music or public image or politics or anything else about her, but she's got a voice and some moves.

Walt

I know it's cold, and that's just me spouting off and being un-politically-correct....

If she'd clean her act up and grow up, I'd hit it. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If she'd clean her act up and grow up, I'd hit it. :P

Who--Britney or Madonna?

Walt

Britney. Madonna might be more kinky in bed though. But I don't think Madonna ever had done even 5% of the crap Britney's gone through. She's got a good head on her shoulders.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Britney. Madonna might be more kinky in bed though. But I don't think Madonna ever had done even 5% of the crap Britney's gone through. She's got a good head on her shoulders.

Madonna seems to be much more of a businesswoman for sure. I am quite repulsed by the idea of sex with her, though.

Walt

[Every market finds it's own level and the music market is currently undergoing an "adjustment". What is happening, why and what to do about it is a matter for debate (or not). But every business faces it's problems, I'm sorry that this one just happens to be yours.

In all honesty, the changes in the music marketplace have been a BENEFIT to me, as a small, no-name artist. Sure, being nominated for several, and winning a Grammy hasn't hurt, but... I've enjoyed increased sales due to iTunes and other download distribution, more than I expected. And as a scorist for film, industry changes haven't impacted me at all (although the damn writer's strike has>:(). As a producer of music, it has had some marginal impact on me.
I'm not a fan of how labels have done many things. I could tell you "No shit there I was" stories from Windham Hill, BMG, Virgin, Higher Octave, and Narada that would make you really hate the industry more. But...it's the model that has prevented small-time musicians from being known, but they have fueled the marketplace which has kept interest high. I love the fact that they're laying the foundation for musicians rights/protection of IP, so that when they're gone, the general public will have some concept of how IP is valued, and shouldn't be stolen simply because it's easy to do. Once my contract with Virgin is over, I'll likely be either signing with a web-label, or self-distributing (probably with a web label), as it's obvious that the labels are sinking. There are some major changes occurring inside most of them, but I think it's probably too little, too late with regards to a small-time artist like myself. It used to be that if you didn't sell 250,000 records a year, you were tossed. Now, some of the biggest names are barely cracking those numbers, so the dynamic is tremendously different, and the little guys like me are mostly just names on the letterhead. So yeah, I get it, have gotten it, and am applying myself to those changes. I honestly don't mind for myself. I do mind seeing what's happening to my friends. Some of them are huge artists that are basically reduced to nothing now, due to how A&R budgets have been slashed. Downloads fall into the "Supersaver" clause of most recording contracts, so artists barely make pennies. About 70% of the download revenue makes it to the label, and the label keeps most of that.

The real Power the labels always had were the distribution channels. Those channels are now obsolete. Independent and small Labels can now put their products in front of just as many people as the Major labels.

As major Names/Acts contracts with major labels expire I believe they will realize this and start either creating their own Labels and/or going with smaller labels that will give them a larger share of the revenue.

although the damn writer's strike has

heh, from what i understand, the writers are striking for this reason, among others:

Downloads fall into the "Supersaver" clause of most recording contracts, so artists barely make pennies. ***

except for web content that they produce.

but back on track, i don't download much, mainly because i'm lazy, but i don't buy CDs, either. i have my satellite radio, and it makes me happy. How do you think satellite radio fits in, DSE?
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

How about just making a living, like the rest of us?

Shit, if you're gonna complian about them then you have be be just as flippant at the sports players.

They seem to be able to duplicate something and sell it a million times. Through broadcast tv/ arena seating and PPV.

Maybe we should televise schoolrooms so at least there'd be some educational value.

My photos

My Videos

Shit, if you're gonna complian about them then you have be be just as flippant at the sports players

I am. And actors/models.

Their income is dis-proportionate to their contribution to society. Meanwhile, research scientists make an average salary.

On top of it all, they let the success go to their heads, and they think they can solve the worlds problems. No, you can sing, or catch a ball, or pretend. That's it. I don't give a fuck who you're voting for.

The posterchild - Oprah.

Who should be rich and revered? Jonas Saulk, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, just to name a few.

Why are they all dead? Where's my list of living people doing good work? I don't have one because they live on in obscurity while Britany Spears recieves 24/7 coverage of her every stupid move.

Shit, if you're gonna complian about them then you have be be just as flippant at the sports players

I am. And actors/models.

Their income is dis-proportionate to their contribution to society. Meanwhile, research scientists make an average salary.

On top of it all, they let the success go to their heads, and they think they can solve the worlds problems. No, you can sing, or catch a ball, or pretend. That's it. I don't give a fuck who you're voting for.

The posterchild - Oprah.

Who should be rich and revered? Jonas Saulk, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, just to name a few.

Why are they all dead? Where's my list of living people doing good work? I don't have one because they live on in obscurity while Britany Spears recieves 24/7 coverage of her every stupid move.

:)
My photos

My Videos

How do you think satellite radio fits in, DSE?

Of course satellite radio thins the pie too, but not by much. Billboard reports sales via Soundscan numbers (which didn't used to be accurate, but are very accurate now) and satellite doesn't appear to be hurting sales much at all.
Contrary to Jack's post, the *majority* of people have selective tastes, and have always had selective taste (is there anyone who has not made their favorite party/make-out/driving/study cassette, CD, or playlist?). Listeners on the whole, like to control their listening experience. Sure, there are those content with finding their satellite or FM taste bud and letting it roll, but that's by far the minority, not the majority. I almost never listen to music when I drive, opting for comedy on the satellite radio. But that's *my* particular experience. When I'm reading, flying, working out, handworking, I don't want to be disrupted by a song I don't like, so I use my playlist features. According to Billboard and Soundscan, that's the preference of the majority.
I love satellite. It's the only place I can find Howard Stern.:D

except for web content that they produce.

If an artist has a recording contract, generally they cannot produce content for the web separate from the content/masters they produce for the label. I'm one of those. It's quite standard. You cannot release jointly or severally with anyone but the label and your publisher. Otherwise you're competing with yourself on their dime.

Ok... I also have a question. If only a fraction of artists are making real money, then what is with Hip-Hop/Rap artists that seem to be rolling in the green? I see these outrageous houses, cars, and jewelry when "spots" are done on their lifestyle. Is there an imbalance with regards to genres i.e. Hip-Hop/Rap vs. say rock i.e. Nickleback (which I'm not a fan of).

Is it all media hype? My perception is Hip-Hop/Rap artists seem to do amazingly well, while other genres just seem to be getting by. Unless you're a MEGA act like Zep, U2, Stones, etc. I'm asking because I really don't understand and am always confused when I see Hip-Hop/Rap artists living large on Cribs, etc. knowing the entertainment industry and artists are having a rough time in general.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

I love satellite. It's the only place I can find Howard Stern.:D

I've Had sirius for 2 years now and I might have changed the station a hand ful of times.

100 and 101 or THE stations. Raw Dog is pretty cool too.
My photos

My Videos

Ok... I also have a question. If only a fraction of artists are making real money, then what is with Hip-Hop/Rap artists that seem to be rolling in the green?

That's a great question. I have no idea but would be willing to bet that most of the rappers throwing money around are financially retarded.

Walt

Because some are from da hood and were/are drug dealers and even sing songs about it.

Then they went legit and turned their record sales into BUSINESSES...but that is STILL only a few of them.

The rap stars of today are WAY SMARTER than the rock stars of yesteryear.

oh and don;t believe the hype on cribs etc.
when they are filming they have all their friends bring their cars to their crib....even though it's a millionaire lifestyle, not all of the stuff you see is theirs. I'd be willing to guess that some of it is product placement/advertisment, too.
My photos

My Videos

Rap music revenue

More...

More yet

Related...

Murder Inc

Yet more

It's fairly well-accepted in the music biz, what is/has been going on in the upper eschelons of the industry. Then you have the hype, like my pal Trick Daddy from Miami. Makes his cash selling dope in Miami, wants to make it big, uses his cash to fund a record, has all the trappings of a big star when in truth, album sales and concert sales suck outside of the region, and concerts were fronts for dealing. then he became a national star roughly 10 years later.

Of course not everyone is in this game. Add to that the market impression that rap *must* support. "tough guy climbs out of cesspool" is a good story to sell to a hopeful public that has a large majority still living in the cesspool.
Most of it is hype. Of the few rappers I personally know and have worked with, they still live in shit houses in shit neighborhoods, but they front it well.