ntrprnr

Download those You-Tube videos while you can...

I seriously do not mean to make light of the situation as I do believe they do deserve royalties for their creative works...but...the music industry DOES rip us off in every way imaginable and I think that that too adds to the consumer ripping them off in return.
How many CD's have I bought for only one song?
How many albums have not been playable more than a couple of times? How many concerts sucked sooooo bad I could hardly tolerate the pain?

I still contribute...and enjoy most of it too!

How many CD's have I bought for only one song?
How many albums have not been playable more than a couple of times? How many concerts sucked sooooo bad I could hardly tolerate the pain?

I still contribute...and enjoy most of it too!

And someone twisted your arm to make you do that, right?
In 36 months, there will be no free-standing music stores in the USA, save those that are recyclers (used music) and those too, are suffering badly.
Walmart is experimenting with direct-load right now (walk in w/your MP3 device, buy the music right there/load it on the spot). It'll fail, just like their on-line video project failed, but they are experimenting...

And someone twisted your arm to make you do that, right?
In 36 months, there will be no free-standing music stores in the USA, save those that are recyclers (used music) and those too, are suffering badly.
Walmart is experimenting with direct-load right now (walk in w/your MP3 device, buy the music right there/load it on the spot). It'll fail, just like their on-line video project failed, but they are experimenting...

I think mainsteam music is suffering not only because of mp3 downloads but because an awful lot of mainstream music sucks big time. Since the invention of the mp3 format, I buy many, many more CDs than I ever did because a lot of indie labels have demos available online, I can download them and find all sorts of gold. If I like it, I always buy the CD because I want the hard copy in its case on my shelf with my other CDs. What I don't do is buy mainstream music, not beacuse I can find it for free but because it sucks.

[
I think mainsteam music is suffering not only because of mp3 downloads but because an awful lot of mainstream music sucks big time. Since the invention of the mp3 format, I buy many, many more CDs than I ever did because a lot of indie labels have demos available online, I can download them and find all sorts of gold. If I like it, I always buy the CD because I want the hard copy in its case on my shelf with my other CDs. What I don't do is buy mainstream music, not beacuse I can find it for free but because it sucks.

Great concept, but again...you won't be able to purchase CDs for that much longer. But the internet makes it much easier to find unique music, no doubt.
While *you* might think mainstream music sucks, your opinion has little bearing on music sales or societal views of current music. Your parents or grandparents thought Buddy Holly and Elvis sucked, and were pointless, valueless noise. Just as you (and probably myself too) feel that way about much of the current crop of pop. But sales march on.

Title/Artist Units Sold Artist Units Sold
1 Bad Day / Daniel Powter 2,015,594
2 Promiscuous / Nelly Furtado 1,709,274
3 Sexyback / Justin Timberlake 1,657,798
4 Crazy / Gnarls Barkley 1,629,467
5 You’re Beautiful / James Blunt 1,623,417
6 Over My Head (Cable Car) / Fray 1,570,207
7 How to Save a Life / Fray 1,559,704
8 Temperature / Sean Paul 1,533,362
9 Ridin’ / Chamillionaire 1,417,178
10. Hips Don’t Lie / Shakira 1,410,237

Contrary to popular belief...webplay/airplay does *not* equal sales, nor do concerts. For example, Nickelback was the most played airplayed artist of 2006, but they didn't crack the top 50 in sales or concert revenues. The days of super-monster selling artists are over, I think. Shania Twain still holds the record for biggest selling album in the past 20 years with "Come On Over" at 15 million units. No one has come close to that in a long time. The diversity of online music has made it nearly impossible for any artist to achieve those numbers, which of course provides more impetus for artists and labels to protect their property.

I think you're right to an extent. There is a diversity of music available these days and that may well water down the absolute number of sales that any individual artist can generate. When there is more music to choose from, the sales are spread thinner. The same can be seen in viewing figures for TV shows. The overall number of people watching has gone up but they are spread over many more channels so the viewing figures for each show drops.

Another problem is that mainstream music gets an inordinate amount of air play. I'm unlikely to buy Crazy by Gnarls Barkley because it's been done to death on the radio. I don't need to buy it, I've heard is hundreds of times so you're right, airplay does not lead to sales. It's the same with older music. Why buy the Led Zeppelin back catologue when I've heard it hundreds of times and actually grown weary of it because of that.

I disagree about CDs though. They are cheap to produce, anyone with a CD burner and a laptop can record and produce their own CDs. It's true that mp3s are cheaper but there is something to be said for actually having the box and packaging along with the music. People who want to have the music for a collection to keep (these people do exist, I'm one of them) are less likely to grab mp3s because they are disposable. If this weeks top 20 is disposable music, it makes sense to put it on a disposable format.

CDs may get eclipsed by downloads but hard copies will always exist in some form or another. I've not seen a paperless office yet despite decades of email and pdf files and numerous experts telling me that paperclips will be redundant. Music is not a bit different from this.

Edit: Vinyl was supposed to have been eclipsed by CDs and for the main part it has, but you can still buy it. Limited outlets maybe but it didn't disapear completely.

disagree about CDs though. They are cheap to produce, anyone with a CD burner and a laptop can record and produce their own CDs. It's true that mp3s are cheaper but there is something to be said for actually having the box and packaging along with the music.

Burning a CD on your desktop is *significantly* different than replication of Redbook-compliant CD's, which are indeed, going away. The industry is counting/planning on/expecting it.
People said reel to reel would always be here too, because of the superior sound quality. Folks said the same about minidisc. And 8 track. And vinyl. And cassette.

I'm unlikely to buy Crazy by Gnarls Barkley because it's been done to death on the radio. I don't need to buy it, I've heard is hundreds of times so you're right, airplay does not lead to sales. It's the same with older music. Why buy the Led Zeppelin back catologue when I've heard it hundreds of times and actually grown weary of it because of that.

So that you can listen to it on demand. And people are very demanding today. Americans want it when they want it, how they want it. You're right. You don't *need* to buy it. You don't *need* to buy a rig, that can of RedBull, or those stylin' new shoes either. You buy em' cuz you want them, not because you *need* to.

Burning a CD on your desktop is *significantly* different than replication of Redbook-compliant CD's, which are indeed, going away. The industry is counting/planning on/expecting it.
People said reel to reel would always be here too, because of the superior sound quality. Folks said the same about minidisc. And 8 track. And vinyl. And cassette.

Redbook-compliant CD are different from CDRs but a CD is still a CD. I could burn an mp3 download to a CDR but that wouldn't get me the original artwork, liners and lyric sheets would it? You might be right about CDs being replaced though, but I would be very suprised if hard copies disapeared all together. I expect there will still be some form of music storage object I can go to a store and buy.

***So that you can listen to it on demand. And people are very demanding today. Americans want it when they want it, how they want it. You're right. You don't *need* to buy it. You don't *need* to buy a rig, that can of RedBull, or those stylin' new shoes either. You buy em' cuz you want them, not because you *need* to.

The music industry is a victim of its own success. At one time music was rare. You listened to it on crackly AM radio sets where it was being broadcast from a ship somewhere off shore. You'd make a special effort to go to a friends house just because he had a new record and you could spend hours listening and analysing every inch of the cover. But music bcame more popular and more places wanted to play it. Now days you can't go anywhere without a musical acompaniment. Shops, pubs, cars, TV stations, websites, birthday cards, door bells, cell phones, they all pump out music 24/7. It's what busnessmen call a mature industry. There's no more room for growth because the market is saturated. As a result, music is devalued because it's absolutely everywhere.

I can listen to most mainstream stuff more or less on demand by flicking on the radio, MTV, loading up the vid on Youtube or some random guy's cell phone ring tone. Indie stuff is much harder to find and it still has some value because of that. Truly original stuff is the rarest and most valuable of all.

The music industry is a victim of its own success.

Personally, I think the whole entertainment industry is a victim of it's *excesses*. They've priced themselves out of the market.

Pre-internet, the entertainment (including music) industry controlled the primary distribution channels and they used that to fuck the all-too-willing-to-be-fucked consumers as much as possible.

Now that they no longer control the primary distribution channel, They are going to have to cut costs and change their business models. In other words, they are going to have to become competitive.

Entertainment consumers now have an enormous amount of choice--great for the consumer, not so great for the people who have been soaking consumers for many years. It's a really nice change, IMO.

I think live music performance has a super-bright future because there is no technology that can replicate it.

Walt

I think live music performance has a super-bright future because there is no technology that can replicate it.

Yep. There aren't many businesses where you can do something once and sell it a million times over. I certainly can't record me fixing someones car and flog that till it goes platinum.

[ Now days you can't go anywhere without a musical acompaniment. Shops, pubs, cars, TV stations, websites, birthday cards, door bells, cell phones, they all pump out music 24/7. It's what busnessmen call a mature industry. There's no more room for growth because the market is saturated. As a result, music is devalued because it's absolutely everywhere.

Thanks for explaining the industry to me. I didn't quite understand the changes or why they're occurring.[;)

Other than the last line, Walt's post is pretty much spot-on. Live music is also dying, 2007 marked the lowest concert revenues in what was a hard-climbing market. No monster tours. A&R departments are not putting the $$ into artist dev any more, so bands are turning to outside funding, which is exceptionally limited. Madonna's sign with Live Nation does bode for some goodness, but mounting a tour for 50M just isn't doable by most.

Personally, I think the whole entertainment industry is a victim of it's *excesses*. They've priced themselves out of the market.

Pre-internet, the entertainment (including music) industry controlled the primary distribution channels and they used that to fuck the all-too-willing-to-be-fucked consumers as much as possible.

Now that they no longer control the primary distribution channel, They are going to have to cut costs and change their business models. In other words, they are going to have to become competitive.

Entertainment consumers now have an enormous amount of choice--great for the consumer, not so great for the people who have been soaking consumers for many years. It's a really nice change, IMO.

I think live music performance has a super-bright future because there is no technology that can replicate

Wang-dang sweet poon-tang, you nailed it.

I'll let out a big 'waaah' for all the musicians who can no longer make MILLIONS of dollars. Ditto for all the other player in the music biz.

How about just making a living, like the rest of us? People in the US make more money than 99% of the rest of the world. Mainstream music artists make more than 99% of the people in the US. Excuse me if I don't feel for them, and their upcoming reduction in their standard of living.

My biggest regret is that this all couldn't have happened 10 years ago, so Britany Spears could be in her righful place, a double-wide trailer converted to a strip club in the hills of Alabama.

I'll let out a big 'waaah' for all the musicians who can no longer make MILLIONS of dollars. Ditto for all the other player in the music biz.

How about just making a living, like the rest of us? People in the US make more money than 99% of the rest of the world. Mainstream music artists make more than 99% of the people in the US. Excuse me if I don't feel for them, and their upcoming reduction in their standard of living.

My biggest regret is that this all couldn't have happened 10 years ago, so Britany Spears could be in her righful place, a double-wide trailer converted to a strip club in the hills of Alabama.

To be fair, only a tiny fraction of musicians/performers make that kind of money. My guess is that labels fuck musicians over at least as much as they fuck consumers over.

And I think Britney Spears is really talented--messed up for sure--but talented.

Walt

Thanks for explaining the industry to me. I didn't quite understand the changes or why they're occurring.;)

You obviously know the industry better than me, I'm only an amateur and certainly don't have a Grammy on my mantlepeice (an impressive achievement by the way). But because you are in the industry you would be wise to exploit it as best you can. If my opinions help you see a way to do that then great. If not then I'll refund the money you paid me for them.

Every market finds it's own level and the music market is currently undergoing an "adjustment". What is happening, why and what to do about it is a matter for debate (or not). But every business faces it's problems, I'm sorry that this one just happens to be yours.

Other than the last line, Walt's post is pretty much spot-on. Live music is also dying, 2007 marked the lowest concert revenues in what was a hard-climbing market. No monster tours. A&R departments are not putting the $$ into artist dev any more, so bands are turning to outside funding, which is exceptionally limited. Madonna's sign with Live Nation does bode for some goodness, but mounting a tour for 50M just isn't doable by most.

Well again that's not so suprising. Gigs have got bigger and bigger over the years and so have the ticket prices. If you don't want to fund a $50M tour, don't book 80,000 seater stadiums. There's still room at the bottom it's just that major record labels won't get out of bed for less than a couple of gold albums and a multi million dollar merchandising deal.

And I think Britney Spears is really talented--messed up for sure--but talented.

Walt

Talented at being messed up for sure. Did you hear? She just got put into mental lockdown at a hospital! Somebody please give her a lobotomy. :S:P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well again that's not so suprising. Gigs have got bigger and bigger over the years and so have the ticket prices. If you don't want to fund a $50M tour, don't book 80,000 seater stadiums. There's still room at the bottom it's just that major record labels won't get out of bed for less than a couple of gold albums and a multi million dollar merchandising deal.

I wonder if similar change will ever happen to spectator sports, e.g., football, NASCAR, etc. I have zero understanding of their popularity or public support but they are a force to be reckoned with.

Walt

I wonder if similar change will ever happen to spectator sports, e.g., football, NASCAR, etc. I have zero understanding of their popularity or public support but they are a force to be reckoned with.

I'd say it would be a fair bet. With any business you can only blow the bubble so big. Eventually people decide that the crowds are too big, it's too expensive, you can't see anything and there's better coverage on TV so they stay away. Some other cash cow then pops up somewhere else to take its place. Tis the way of things.

Talented at being messed up for sure. Did you hear? She just got put into mental lockdown at a hospital! Somebody please give her a lobotomy. :S:P

That's cold. I've never liked her music all that much but at her young age she is a seasoned (to the point of being burned out, maybe) entertainer.

Her life and career have taken a bad turn but she's got talent and will hopefully get her life back on track.

I know this is unusually sensitive and caring coming fromr me and I apologize for that, but it gets worse.

I think Madonna is a talented performer too. I can't stand her music or public image or politics or anything else about her, but she's got a voice and some moves.

Walt