caspar

belly strap

im just about to buy a container, and after listening to bill booth on skydive radio (which is awesome by the way!) and searching the forum i have decided to get a belly strap.

before i fully go ahead with this i just wanted to make sure. Are there any reasons why i SHOULDNT get a belly strap, i want my rig to be as safe as possible and from what i understand not only does it cover you in that 1 in god knows what chance of you falling out of your rig but it also makes it feel safer and is much more comfortable and stable when sit flying (something i shall be doing in the near future).

cheers,

caspar
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I thought I would want a belly strap after having them on the student gear I started on...makes ya feel more secure....after jumping my own sport rig without one for a few jumps....I dont miss it...

Is having one safer?...prob.....necessary?...prob not...

Understanding your gear and it's limitations? ...very necessary;) (still looking for that knowlage btw)

Hi,

I just had the Relative Workshop add a belly band to my Vector III.

I really like it. The workmanship was great and the feeling of security in a sit is much better than before.

shall
B|

Disclaimer: I am an old farp. My first decent new rig was a RWS rig with a belly band ( pilot chute was there ), so I was used to the feel and missed it on newer rigs.

I dont understand how a belly band would be safer in a sit?

I would hqwve thought a back strap would stop you falling out rather than a belly band?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I would have thought a back strap would stop you falling out rather than a belly band?

The belly band (strap) keeps the horizontal back strap (bottom of your rig) tight against your back, lessening the chance you might fall out of the "hole" between the back strap and your leg straps, which is often "exaggerated" when sit flying.

sorry think i may have got a bit confused between the two.

so what would be the main reason to get a belly strap then? just the ones i stated above? (excluding safer in sit).

basically i am about to buy my 1st container and want to be as safe as possible. dont care about scarificing looks and a bit of canopy speed etc. would anyone here recommend getting a backstrap? if so, is it worth getting a belly strap too? ive neither seen nor used either of them.

i just dont want something to happen that i could of prevented so im being a bit more anal about safety than i really am.

thanks for the replies by the way.

edit to add: thanks for the reply bill, you posted it as i was writing this one.

would you recommend getting a backstrap as well?

I would have thought a back strap would stop you falling out rather than a belly band?

The belly band (strap) keeps the horizontal back strap (bottom of your rig) tight against your back, lessening the chance you might fall out of the "hole" between the back strap and your leg straps, which is often "exaggerated" when sit flying.

Essentially what Bill is saying is that a belly band structurally secured to your harness and reasonably tight will keep you in the rig regardless of how loose the harness is. This is made possible courtisy of your rib cage amd pelvis, comprendo? Sure it's not going to be a comfortable opening if the band is used in an emergency (ie: falling out of your harness) but it sure beats the crap out of dieing!!

Mick.

First of all, people rarely fall out of harnesses.

Secondly, most poorly fitting harnesses were purchased second-hand from guys vastly different in height or weight from the second owner.

Belly-bands make little difference on properly fitted harnesses worn by the first owner.
However, belly bands might help on poorly fitted rigs worn by second onwners.

thanks for the replies

i think im going to get one anyway. i cant see one extra strap pissing me off or costing that much, and if it helps in any way i dont see why i shouldnt get it (unless there ate any major cons to it apart from being a bit useless)