base283

crosswind abort

Whoa, that brings back memories! I was on a small twin, commuter flight that landed like that. We were coming into PIT from DC (IAD) and landed in near-blizzard conditions. I was sitting in the starboard wing seat and honest to God, the wing was in-line with the centerline of the runway, just as we touched down! I dunno' how he pulled it off but the pilot actually set 'er down gently and kept it on the runway. That was the only U.S. domestic flight I've been on, where the passengers applauded the landing. He deserved it, that was one "sh*t-hot" pilot! ;)

"T'was ever thus."

The landing that made me almost shit a brick was going in to PHX from AUS. The pilot touched down (you could feel the wheels hit) and seconds later we were back in the air. He finally came over the loud speaker and said, "Ladies and gentlemen... We apologize for the 'fake landing' a few minutes ago. We got notification for the traffic control that the runway we were landing on was too short. We aborted the landing to land safely on a longer runway." WTF? I could have been one of those statistics, but someone actually pulled their head out of their ass and realized, "Oh shit... That plane can't land there. We'll tell him after he touches down to abort the landing." I thought I would never fly commercial after that, but of course, I have. Thankfully, there weren't any crosswinds that I know of that day.

:|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Two weeks ago, when it was so rainy here in Miami (I am driving on the perimeter road around the airport to work) a plane had a go around. I mean the landing strip is just a fence and a bit of grass away.
So I am used to see the big birds land on my way to work, but the go around (only the rear wheels touched for a few seconds) got me awake. The engines are really loud when spooling up again maybe 100yards away from your car:S

Two weeks ago, when it was so rainy here in Miami (I am driving on the perimeter road around the airport to work) a plane had a go around. I mean the landing strip is just a fence and a bit of grass away.
So I am used to see the big birds land on my way to work, but the go around (only the rear wheels touched for a few seconds) got me awake. The engines are really loud when spooling up again maybe 100yards away from your car:S

You weren't directly behind the plane were you? That could have been a fun ride... :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You weren't directly behind the plane were you? That could have been a fun ride... :ph34r:

LoL NO, parallel, but still pretty interesting view from so close :D