RALFFERS

Agressive Driving...

Just how bad is it on the engine? I don't do this too often, but occasionally, if I have an open lane I'll see what I can get out of a car.

Well, yesterday was 1 of those days - I was rushing to a few appointments, to add to that I had all lanes open amd it was a beautiful sunny day; how could I resist? I ended up going a little over a 100 for a little while, but at around 90-ish I felt a guilt trip - I.E "how bad is this for a car?..." Ironically, I don't know what speed the car tops out at, and I wasn't willing to go quite that far. That said, I was very impressed with the quality of the handling - nothing was shaking at all. I highly recommend Honda Accords!

But seeing that I like to take care of my cars, just how hard on the car is it to drive at high speeds for short stretches of road?
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

In My experience you should be fine. I drive over very fast (took out the how fast don't want to here from the whiners today) every day on my way to work. I also have a few roads where I drive the car like you would on a track. After some time of driving like that you will notice you need to change brakes, and tiers a lot more often then normal.
100 mph once in a blue moon is nothing for your car, what is truly tough on a car is constant deceleration and acceleration thats when you overheat things.

And yes Hondas do rock.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Good to know.

The funny thing is, after you push 100+, 80 seems normal, and 55-65 seems like, well, turtle speed. :ph34r:

You aint kidding there. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It depends largly on the car. Do that in a Geo Metro and youll likely kill it. On the other hand my brothers BMW can cruise at that speed for some time with no trouble.

BTW, newer model accords are very well built and can handle about 90ish on the highway all day long (mom has one).
Muff #5048

A friend of mine has a Cobra. Last weekend, we did a short stretch of road at 110, and while I have no idea what that did or didn't do to the car, I must say that it was a lot of fun! Felt like going 55 and the car DEFINITELY was ready for more.
TPM Sister #102

A friend of mine has a Cobra. Last weekend, we did a short stretch of road at 110, and while I have no idea what that did or didn't do to the car, I must say that it was a lot of fun! Felt like going 55 and the car DEFINITELY was ready for more.

MMMMMMMMMM, cobra.... - yummy!

It does depend a little on the vehicle. Are your tires rated for higher speeds? Many tires that come on more common cars are only rated for 98mph. Now for short periods of time this isn't a problem. Also is the engine warm? Running at high RPM's when the engine is cold (meaning under operating temp, avg 195F) is very hard on the internal components because the parts have not had a chance to expand properly. In many cases if you have had your car running for a while and the engine is warm running it harder helps burn off carbon deposits that form inside the engine. Manufacturers will program the computer to run slightly rich to help slow down wear in start and stop driving or if you shut it off and start it back up a lot. This can lead to the formation of carbon deposits. Oh and don't overdrive the road conditions because that can turn out VERY hard on your car.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

But seeing that I like to take care of my cars, just how hard on the car is it to drive at high speeds for short stretches of road?

Depends on what the car was designed for.

If it's an econobox that was designed to drive at 65 and get 35 mpg on typical US highways a short period of faster driving might not be fatal to the engine, but a longer period might take its toll in overheating and whatnot. Again, clearly the vehicle wasn't designed to do that.

If it was something that was specifically designed to be driven on the Autobahn . . . 100 mph isn't even going to phase it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That being said as long as you aren't hitting your rev limiter then you'll be just fine

My new car does not beep at redline. Needless to say I hit feul cutoff a few times before I got used to the car.

Good thing they put that feul cutoff in there. ;)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Driving fast is not of it's self Agressive Driving.

Inappropriate use of speed can be agressive and so can driving without due consideration of other road users around you.

I kind of think that any time you're going over 100 on public streets, it qualifies as "aggressive driving." :D Going 5 mph over the speed limit, maybe not--unless the weather or other similar conditions make a difference. I agree that there are a lot of factors to consider when you're calling driving "aggressive," but that much speed, even on the open highway, definitely qualifies. On a race track, it might be very conservative. In this case, though, I have to agree that it's just plain aggressive even if it's done carefully and under control.
TPM Sister #102

Driving fast is not of it's self Agressive Driving.

Inappropriate use of speed can be agressive and so can driving without due consideration of other road users around you.

I kind of think that any time you're going over 100 on public streets, it qualifies as "aggressive driving." :D Going 5 mph over the speed limit, maybe not--unless the weather or other similar conditions make a difference. I agree that there are a lot of factors to consider when you're calling driving "aggressive," but that much speed, even on the open highway, definitely qualifies. On a race track, it might be very conservative. In this case, though, I have to agree that it's just plain aggressive even if it's done carefully and under control.

Why, when the road is empty. What about the german autobahn. Designed for 250km/hour!!
It's a trill drivng a mercedes AMG there or a porsche (unfortunately i drive a beetle)

Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

Just how bad is it on the engine? I don't do this too often, but occasionally, if I have an open lane I'll see what I can get out of a car.

Well, yesterday was 1 of those days - I was rushing to a few appointments, to add to that I had all lanes open amd it was a beautiful sunny day; how could I resist? I ended up going a little over a 100 for a little while, but at around 90-ish I felt a guilt trip - I.E "how bad is this for a car?..." Ironically, I don't know what speed the car tops out at, and I wasn't willing to go quite that far. That said, I was very impressed with the quality of the handling - nothing was shaking at all. I highly recommend Honda Accords!

Honda's are extremely proficient at speed. They are very easy to drive fast. If you get it maintained regularly, you won't have any issues. I used to have a commute that saw very fast speeds on a regular basis, in my Acruas and Hondas...B|B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Use good oil. Be wary of the redline and temperature. Should be fine and dandy for a LONG time. Besides that, don't hit anything, drive erratically and be a jackass, and by all means, look out for motorcycles.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Well, I certainly learned a lot today.

As far as safety is concerned: while nothing is ever full-proof, I only drive like this when road conditions are correct & whatnot. As for the tires - they look brand spankin new! (but still doesn't mean they're rated for that speed - they're probably not for that matter.)

There was only time I was sort of scared was on a trip from Toronto back to Chicago. I was somewhere near Cleavland, OH, when I bored and/or durranged (possibly strung out on something) decided to "play" with me... The long & short of it is i was on the expressway & got behind this rig that was going slow, so naturally I passed him - but that's when he would get on my ass, as for as getting on someones ass goes! If I let him pass me, he would drive slow again so long as I was behind him. The scariest moment was in passing him a subsequent time - he waited till I was mid-length with his trailer, that's when he decided to swerve into my lane; thankfully, I have very fast reflexes & was able to slam on the breaks. I remember I then abruptly did a 2-lane change and red-lined the car for as long as it took to get that semi out of my rear-view mirror. The speedometer went to 120, and I know I was going much faster than that...

As it has been said, as long as the car is well taken care of and is capable of the speed without being at 110% go for it.

That said, I am going to turn the thread in another direction. 105mph in a car feels like I should get out and push. with 100s of hours of track time and a handful of race experience on street bikes, I laugh at you car people.
:P
160 down the front straight at Brainerd is more like it. At 13000rpms you don't stop and wonder..., hmmm is this bad for my bike.;)

HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Good to know.

The funny thing is, after you push 100+, 80 seems normal, and 55-65 seems like, well, turtle speed. :ph34r:

Speed is an addiction. I feel like i am dying inside when I do the speed limit.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Use good oil. Be wary of the redline and temperature. Should be fine and dandy for a LONG time. Besides that, don't hit anything, drive erratically and be a jackass, and by all means, look out for motorcycles.

I look out for everybody...

Whether by skydiving, or driving - if I die & it's my fault please don't pity me. I'm aware & completely responsible for the consequences of my actions. I accept that; what I can't bare the thought of is taking someone else out. Hence why I always look out for EVERYBODY and their mama' to make sure conditions are appropriate for whatever it is I'm about to do.

Good to know.

Speed is an addiction. I feel like i am dying inside when I do the speed limit.
DITTO!!