FFMedic

A good reason for freefall suits.

I just thought I'd save someone a potential problem by reminding everyone that even small things can make a good dive go wrong.

Not that this dive went wrong, actually it was great and quite a thrill. But as accidents usually start small and build on other small things until you have a big thing I thought I'd bring this up.

I recently had a fantastic trip to San Diego jumping with my son who is a really great skydiver. ( no bias here I assure you ;) ) On our second jump of the day He asked if I wanted to try my first head down. We were to hold on to each other and fall over trying to get stable. Actually neither of us expected it to work but it did after a little wobbling. Glory Osky! My alti later read 228 MPH. I could really feel the speed build and it was a trip. Some place around 6k we broke off and I started my deployment about 4200. ( I like to open high) and was under a good canopy about 3200ish.

Then I noticed i was a bit colder than I thought I should be. When looked down My suit had stripped the zipper right down to my crotch and my t-shirt was up around my neck. Kind of embarrassing but not really a problem at that time. Later I realized that if I had experienced a problem with my main I could have possibly had a tricky time finding my reserve handles. I checked this action out on the ground and found that I could access them. However, under stress and in a freefall I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Lacking a freefall suit I would want to make sure I pinned or otherwise secured my zipper to prevent this in the future. I don't plan on starting a habit of head down but it was fun that one time. I only mention this because it is one of those small things that just would never cross your mind at the time but seems like a "head slap" moment afterward.

I even got my half nakedness on camera. :S

I just thought I'd save someone a potential problem by reminding everyone that even small things can make a good dive go wrong.

Not that this dive went wrong, actually it was great and quite a thrill. But as accidents usually start small and build on other small things until you have a big thing I thought I'd bring this up.

I recently had a fantastic trip to San Diego jumping with my son who is a really great skydiver. ( no bias here I assure you ;) ) On our second jump of the day He asked if I wanted to try my first head down. We were to hold on to each other and fall over trying to get stable. Actually neither of us expected it to work but it did after a little wobbling. Glory Osky! My alti later read 228 MPH. I could really feel the speed build and it was a trip. Some place around 6k we broke off and I started my deployment about 4200. ( I like to open high) and was under a good canopy about 3200ish.

Then I noticed i was a bit colder than I thought I should be. When looked down My suit had stripped the zipper right down to my crotch and my t-shirt was up around my neck. Kind of embarrassing but not really a problem at that time. Later I realized that if I had experienced a problem with my main I could have possibly had a tricky time finding my reserve handles. I checked this action out on the ground and found that I could access them. However, under stress and in a freefall I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Lacking a freefall suit I would want to make sure I pinned or otherwise secured my zipper to prevent this in the future. I don't plan on starting a habit of head down but it was fun that one time. I only mention this because it is one of those small things that just would never cross your mind at the time but seems like a "head slap" moment afterward.

I even got my half nakedness on camera. :S

Freefall suit? Not sure what you mean.

I *infer* that you are female, since a guy wouldn't have been embarrassed if his tee-shirt rode up.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Opps ya got me....."freefly" suit. My bad. Guess I can't spell two gud.

No I'm not female and If you had my belly you might be unwilling to just flash it around for no reason.

I was wearing a full jump suit with a neck to crotch zipper.

And your right, no suit at all might be a lot safer.

This happens alot in the windtunnel when doing headdown. Usually all it takes is a small piece of gaffer's tape or duct tape applied over the chain right beneath the slider to secure the zipper for the tunnel session.

I usually tape a big strip of gaffer's tape on the inside of my helmet underneath the padding, and tear off a piece if I need it. (Of course, you can tape it on the outside if you want, also.)

If you zipper opens up in the tunnel, then the suit has the potential to catch alot of wind and send you into the wall. I've never really seen that happen, as most people are able to just transition to a sit and zip their suit up.

For skydiving and the wind tunnel, I use the same suit.

For the tunnel, I just put a small piece of gaffers tape under the zipper and zip it down onto the tape.

For skydiving, I just close the snap and it's good enough.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

For skydiving and the wind tunnel, I use the same suit.

For the tunnel, I just put a small piece of gaffers tape under the zipper and zip it down onto the tape.

For skydiving, I just close the snap and it's good enough.

that's a good plan - that tiny bit of tape does the trick

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants