htown84

Just Getting Started

I am looking into buying my own gear gradually. I did my first tandem yesterday and it was awesome. From the experienced divers out there what would be a good route to go for gear? I dont want to put myself too far in debt but I know I am going to need to spend some money to get the appropriate gear. Any suggestions as to where I should start? Any help is appriciated.

After you start taking lessons, talk to your instructor. He will probably be the best one since he will know how you handle yourself, land, etc.

Then with your instructors knowledge, talk to the gear store guy. Based on your instructors information, the gear store can recommend a good starter canopy and container (plus a PD Reserve & Cypres that are a given at a lot of shops), and give you a range of prices to work with.

Don't get in a rush. You will get to jump different size canopies while on student status. Talk to the other jumpers and see why they bought what they did.

You don't want to buy gear when you don't know much about it.

look me up when you get out to Spaceland. To bad there is no easy way to get to either dz from Deer Park! I know I drove it for a year.

Welcome to skydiving! Have fun and stay safe.

Blue skies,

Jim