Squeak

Portable Computer Gurus

I was looking at an asus but I figured it was a bit too big to be truly portable but not big enough to be a real laptop. In the end I bought a Nokia N800 which I'm posting from now. It's not bad either, better than I thought it would be. Does email and internet and other assorted crap. Plus you can find a Nokia phone charger pretty much anywhere. You need good eyesight though cos the text is smaaaaall.

I've got one and it's fabulous.

Bumped it up to 2gb ram & put ubuntu on it. It's very lightweight, small, performs decently for web browsing, im, email, etc, and the keyboard is just big enough that I can touch-type on it.

The downsides I can think of: small screen, 7 inches is really small. A 9 inch model will be coming out soon tho. Battery life is so-so, about 3 hours on a full charge. I was kinda hoping it'd have better battery life, and Asus has said they're working on that for future models. Small amount of memory: I upgraded mine to 2gb when I bought it. Although Asus originally said that'd break the warranty, they changed their minds about that fortunately.

It's great now I can use skype to make international calls wherever there is internet instead of screwing around with calling cards.

So if you can hold out a little while you might benefit as Asus comes out with new models in the next few months. Still I thought it was a great deal at $400.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I'm looking at getting a SMALL computer to take with me on my Wolrd Trip in December

Does anyone have experiences with them.this is the only one i have found so far, anyone sued them ?

Don't get a mac air, even though they are thin, they are very big, not very practical for actually traveling with them, and VERY expensive.
Don't get a iPhone, it's not a computer, you can't legally put any apps on them that you want, and the phone portion is pretty much owned by at&t, and will only work in the US(unless u buy one from europe, I suppose.)

These sony viao things are pretty cool:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Sony%20VAIO%20UX%20Premium%20UX390N%20Micro%20PC%20Laptop%20Computer:1994628449
Or, my personal favorite, it's not as fast as the sony, but is better on battery life:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Fujitsu%20LifeBook%20U810%20Laptop%20Computer:1995044522;_ylt=ApmJG2DhNhaAkfZFi8t.EhcambsF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4ZXVyOWdvBHNlYwNyZWNv

There are several other ultra-portables out there if you don't like these.

I'm jumping with one of these with a Solid state HD attached to me from 30k feet for a project at work. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about it.

http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html?source=www.google.com&semspring08

Edit to add link
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING