joaog

aff course price

hi everyone,

i am new to this, but very keen since i saw base jumping in norway.

I am interested in taking the Aff course but wondering if prices vary from country to country. The point here is i am a travel photojournalist so it's easy for me to travel if prices really make a dif, let's say from portugal - where i'm based - to the states for instance.

any help would be very appreciated.
safe travel (and jumps)
joao

guys,

i really really appreciate your time, i do, but:

a) i do understand how hard and difficult it must be to get up there and throw yourself from a cliff;
b) i do not intend to do it - if i even get there - without being and feeling safe;
c) i am more focus now on price wise, and if someone has had this idea before. like learning scuba diving in philippines, for example, is more chep than norway for instance. i am trying to find if there are countries where i could find cheaper AFF courses, but still safe. again, i am not looking for some dodgy place just to get a certificate but, instead, a good deal since it's easy for me to travel.

thanks again.
J

Generally, about $2500 will get you through AFF, coached jumps, and the required # of jumps to get your A license. Could be a little more some places, and if you have to repeat some of the AFF jumps.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

The FJC in Kjerag requires a minimum of 250 normal skydives. When you start skydiving you will find out its hella fun and you probably won't be in such a rush to make it to some cliff. Spend some time in the skydiving community, get the freefall experience, learn to deal with stressful situations, maybe get to know a few BASE jumpers etc. The more people you know the better. Im planning to take the FJC in Kjerag too, but not until i have 250+ skydives. So perhaps in 2011..

Lodi, $1000US

Just to clarify (for the OP's sake), that's the cost of Lodi's 7-jump AFF course only; a bit more if some of the AFF jumps need to be repeated. After that, there would be the cost of the remainder of the jumps needed to get an A license (as noted in post #5).

is it to possible to do 3 jumps in the same day?

I've done 13 jumps in the same day, but that was AFTER I was a trained, licensed jumper.

There will be many more than 3 loads flying on any one day, but the real question is how many of them will YOU be ready for. There is quite a bit of training and practice that goes into every jump, and that takes time and energy, and that's before you even board the plane.

Once you do board the plane, making the jump is not just a formality, it's a test of your abilities, and you may not pass every jump. In that case, you have to repeat that jump, but only after additional corrective training. Some jumpers fail certain levels multiple times.

Regardless if you pass or fail every level, there is also a mental component to the jumps. You have to feel 'ready' in your mind to make another, and how ready you will feel varies from person to person. Not passing a level will certainly have an effect on your frame of mind, but sometimes even the good jumps will take more out of you than you expect, and you may find that you need a rest. Even uncomfortable student rig, or a hard opening can really ruin your day, and suck the energy right out of you.

Once you get through the first ten jumps or so, most of that goes away, but up unitl that point you never know how you'll react until you actually start jumping.

This is why travelling somewhere to complete an AFF course can be a risky proposition. Even the weather can ruin a trip if you don't have enough time factored in for that. Two or three days of rain or wind will get you zero jumps per day. Unless you can devote a good two weeks to the DZ, you might be better off just spending your dollars on a local DZ, and paying jump by jump.

If you can spend two weeks, and can travel on the cheap, give it a shot. Whatever they tell you the course will cost, bring twice that. This will cover re-jumps, and other unplanned costs (at the DZ). If you do finish in less than two weeks, now you have extra time and money to rack some jumps before you go.

is it to possible to do 3 jumps in the same day?

My DZ generally discourages STUDENTS from attempting more than 3 jumps per day. Student jumps are VERY tiring... if all goes well. If they go badly, one can be all you want for the day.

I remember a student jump where I got unstable at pull time, tumbled and deployed unstable...my opening was HARD and I was sore for a couple of days. Besides being sore... I was really emotionally rattled! I needed some time to think over what happened. There was no way I was ready to jump again that day. Tough jumps are not uncommon for students.... poor freefall performance, landing off the DZ, lousy landing.

It gets WAY better with time. I think my maximum number of jumps in one day is 8 or 9. I have done 7 many, many times. I have a friend who did over 20 under normal conditions on a single day recently. I know a girl who did 30 under special circumstances recently. If I remember correctly, a jumper I know celebrated his 40th birthday by making 40 jumps in one day.

Irelevant, but fun.... the world record for the most jumps in one day is 640!!! Do the math on that!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

If your goal is to learn in the most efficient way, you do want to make as many jumps in as short a time as possible.

Especially if one jump doesnt go well, the worst thing you can do (generally speaking) is to quit for the day. Get back in the plane, and dont let the bad experience fester in your mind. Skydiving is a mental sport.

That being said, with the amount of instructing, debrief, general prep, and overall exhaustion students need/feel from their early jumps, 3 or 4 jumps is quite a bit in a day.
Remster

Skydive the Farm in Rockmart, Georgia:

AFF Package Deal (First Jump Course and Jumps 1-7) - $1,199
Complete A-License package (First Jump Course and Jumps 1-25): $1,799
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239