nightflyby

Front wheel drive experts needed!

Can anyone tell me if and/or how difficult it would be to do a donut around another vehicle (SUV) in a front wheel drive vehicle, a 2006 Hyundu Sonata? It's a long story but I have been hit with an agg. assualt for doing donuts around a vehicle. The cop must know these people or something. There were tire marks where someone had done donuts in the road but it was certainly not me. They hit me from the rear. I had no reason to do something like that, but I am trying to prove that you can't do it in a front wheel drive or at least you would have to be an exceptional good driver.
Any thoughts here that might help me?
Thanks in advance!
Night Fly By

It's not even that easy in reverse, because it's hard enough to control the car normally in reverse, let alone abnormally. Ever seen Mythbusters?

As for doing donuts in a front wheel drive car, it's damn near impossible, unless you put packing trays under the rear wheels, in which case you wouldn't leave treads, just plastic debris.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I used to have one. The only way I found to do it was by yanking on the handbrake to lock the back wheels while steering abruptly left or right. And even then you probably won't be able to get much more than a 180 unless you are on glare ice, because the rear wheels are braking rather than applying power.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

get a friend, a video camera, and a empty parking lot.
Have your friend take video of you with the wheel turned over and you applying the gas. Then get out and observe.

Then have your friend video the same, but from outside. Take this to court and you are out of the charge.

I would go as far to say that a total 360 donut can not be done like you state in a Hyundai Sonata.

See my cops thread!! They fn suck!!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

"get a friend, a video camera, and a empty parking lot.
Have your friend take video of you with the wheel turned over and you applying the gas. Then get out and observe.

Then have your friend video the same, but from outside. Take this to court and you are out of the charge."

Great I deal, thanks, I am hoping to get it drop and then I am going to try and sue them. Because if this is not possible then I have them in a lie and everything else they said will be suspect. I had been sick weight was 88lbs that day, the cop never ask me any thing just told me I was beening arrested for agg. assualt and mentioned the marks on the road. They handcuffed and legs both, threaten to taz me when I was in the back of the car. I was mouthing him but it opened the door and stuck it to my throat and threatened and I told him go ahead, it would probably fry all 88lbs of me. That was not very professional of him! Sorry for that rant on my reply, but I will lose my job if I have an assault charge.
Thanks again.

I would go as far to say that a total 360 donut can not be done like you state in a Hyundai Sonata.

See my cops thread!! They fn suck!!!!

"I have given up my search for truth, and am now looking for a really good fantasy"

Part of a snow myths episode, let me look for it. Should post an edit in a few minutes. If not, shoot me a PM.

OK, so I can't find a link to the episode, or a link to a clip for that segment, and it doesn't seem to be airing as a re-run anytime soon. It's Episode 82 though, Snow Special, and let me describe the most important part of the story for you.

Basically, they were testing the myth that it was better to drive in reverse on snow than driving in a forward gear. With a FWD car, there seemed to be more towing force in reverse than forward. When they tested it though, it was very difficult to control on a closed cone course in forward gears, took out a bunch of cones, and even harder to control in reverse. So reverse is simply out of the question, it's impossible to control in most circumstances. As for forward gears, the best the average (or even better-than-average) driver can accomplish is a J-turn, which is basically a 180-degree change of direction due to loss of traction in the rear wheels. Unfortunately, keeping the tires constantly at the right level of loss of traction with a FWD is impossible, because the power of the car's engine is NOT, and I repeat NOT at your disposal. It's plausible with an AWD, very much possible with a RWD, but impossible with a FWD. Unless the prosecutor can find a way to break the rules of automotive physics, you should be fine.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Just wanted to update!! Going to trial on 5-5-08, for agg. assault. My lawyer doesn't call me back, don't have the money to get another one. I just my have to do this myself.
Also the arresting officer, had me handcuffed and shackled in the back seat of his car and I was talking plenty trash, he opened the door and stuck his tazer to my throat and threatened to taze me. He CAN NOT do that, but not a lawyer one here has the balls to take it on. I do have a witness that they also threatened to taze and he didn't do anything.

So even with the rules of automotive physics, they are still trying to hang my ass. And I want the cop and the people who told this bogus lie!!!

Sorry, I am just so frustrated with this crap!
"I have given up my search for truth, and am now looking for a really good fantasy"

Texas, the town is BELLMEAD, it's right off I35, just before you get to Waco going south, and you do want to avoid it!

No but my estranged husband witnessed the whole thing with the cop.

All he did was walk outside and said "You don't have to be so rough with her" and he was threatened to be tazed, he is 70 yrs old.

Thanks, yes me too!!!
Just like a ton of bricks lifted off the shoulders.
Couple of more, less stressing things to do, and at that point, everyone can bite me, I'm back to getting my A lic.!

Thanks again!!:o

But it's so hard since I now have a rwd mustang....great donuts.....

I have automatic tray sliders, when I want to do donuts (in the other car) I just push a button and they slide out of a compartment and slips them under the wheels.....

Damn that was almost as good of a story as the one they made up....lol

I'm Free, I'm Free.....

It's not even that easy in reverse, because it's hard enough to control the car normally in reverse, let alone abnormally. Ever seen Mythbusters?

As for doing donuts in a front wheel drive car, it's damn near impossible, unless you put packing trays under the rear wheels, in which case you wouldn't leave treads, just plastic debris.

Easy to do donuts in a FWD car by using the handbrake.

Around another car is another story.

I do not know that I could even do it.

"Around another car is another story.

I do not know that I could even do it."

I think the DA realized it, after I wouldn't plea the deal.
And hitting someone's arm with the drivers mirror.....hell I'm just not that good driving....

See I could have used you as a test driver for the jury...
:D:$

Easy to do donuts in a FWD car by using the handbrake.

Around another car is another story.

I do not know that I could even do it.

Not sure I'd agree with that. Donuts in a FWD are nearly impossible. The idea of a donut is getting the rear tires to let go, and slide the car around the lot in a circle smoking the rears. Can't really do that in a FWD and keep it going. I can get my car sideways if I want to, been practicing in autocrossing, but I can't sustain it, FWD is not designed to sustain a loss of rear traction. Hence the reason you never see a drift car with a FWD setup.