Soulflychad

Hard VX openings

Does anyone jumping a VX know any packing tricks? I just got a new VX 109, and put 40 jumps on it. One opening just about broke my neck...instant canopy after releasing the pilot chute. Some of them are O.K.....but why so inconsistent? Any packing solutions from anyone jumping a VX without the X-mod would be greatly appreciated.
"Your mind is like a parachute: It only works when it is open."
http://www.Skydive-Info.com

Does anyone jumping a VX know any packing tricks? I just got a new VX 109, and put 40 jumps on it. One opening just about broke my neck...instant canopy after releasing the pilot chute. Some of them are O.K.....but why so inconsistent? Any packing solutions from anyone jumping a VX without the X-mod would be greatly appreciated.

is it new? or a new lineset?

vectran is very slick when it is new and the slider comes down very quickly on the vx. it will give you bloody knuckles if you hold the risers on deployment. the good news is, when the vectran lines get about 75-100 jumps on them, they loose the slickness and create alot of friction. so the slider will stay up alot longer and your openings will get ALOT better.

I have a VX 109 and it opens nice. I found the trick for me to get consistent good openings is to PRO pack it roll the nose by splitting it in half roll 4 end cells each side toward the center cell, tuck that in and quarter the slider making sure the slider is over the nose.
Kirk
I would not suggest getting an x mod. Have you ever jumped a Xaos 27 cell they kind of have unique opennings. Great canopy but I would never use one for wingsuit jumps( I always ended up with a 360° turn one direction or the other on opennings) and I have used my VX for my last 50 wingsuit jumps.

yes... the canopy is brand new, off the shelf manufacured in Feb-05. with 40 jumps. Icarus sent me a bigger slider and I put that on last week. When I jumped It the first few times, with the bigger slider, I pushed the nose all the way to the back and rolled the hell out of the tail when I packed it, and I had some sweet openings. But then it spanked me again.....a bigger slider is probably not going to stop line dump.......but I can tell it is slowing down the openings a little. ....I hope your right about the openings getting better after 100 jumps.......and I am trying to get a hold of someone about a dome slider......thanks for the info........any more idea's before I send it to precision to get the line mod done?

I have finnaly figured out how to pack my VX last season. Tried many different things, including rolling the nose. All i want to say is: DONT do it! :) What I do is I quarter the slider WELL, and pull the front of it flush with the nose cells. Let the nose just hang there, dont even push it inside. Then just roll the tail normally or tight if you want...

Also, i tried to psycho pack a few times... the openings were very smooth! But i couldnt get it to open on heading consistenly so i stopped. But try it too, may be it will work for you?

And yes! try MEL's domed slider. i tried it a few weeks ago and I love it. Give him a call too - he is a good guy to deal with and will talk to you about options.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

hooknswoops VX 60 used to spank him all the time until he installed a pocket on the slider. It still opened fast but didn't kill his neck and back anymore.

It opens much better now with the slider the size of the canopy and the Precision "mod." ;)

I have a VX 109 and it opens nice. I found the trick for me to get consistent good openings is to PRO pack it roll the nose by splitting it in half roll 4 end cells each side toward the center cell, tuck that in and quarter the slider making sure the slider is over the nose.
Kirk
I would not suggest getting an x mod. Have you ever jumped a Xaos 27 cell they kind of have unique opennings. Great canopy but I would never use one for wingsuit jumps( I always ended up with a 360° turn one direction or the other on opennings) and I have used my VX for my last 50 wingsuit jumps.

Got 300 wingsuit jumps on Xaos 27's. No problems.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I also have a VX 109 with the X-mod done in my other rig. Never had a bad opening yet......I'm just going to wait until I put some more jumps on the Vectran and test out different sliders and packing methods, before I send it to precision .. . but for sure!>>>> the openings are much better and consistent with the X-mod done.

I loved my Xaos 27 cell but the opennings were either the 360° turn one way or the other or it furtune cookied (where the end cells inflate and fly toward each other while the center stays uninflated) I have talked to another who owned a Xaos 27 cell and he had the same experiance. I just thought it was too inconsistent for me personally to hook it to my wingsuit.
Kirk

JP....the reason why I don't buy the Chaos is because it is a different wing. If you look at a top view of both, you can tell the difference. From the ground you can tell the difference. The VX's corners have more of a slant. The Chaos is more rectangled or maybee just a little rounded in front, on the corners. Plus ...I jumped the Chaos...and comparing the two, I liked the way the VX performed, dived, and landed better.....but the openings were not as good as the Chaos. I think the VX is a better performing wing, but that's my opinion. Have you jumped the VX at all? ....but bottom line, they are two totally different wings. It just seems that with the X-mod....the lines distribute the weight differently, for better openings, for the wing I like better. ....Oh hey... I talked to Mel.....he is making me a dome slider before the weekend...and wants me to put 50-100 jumps on it,.. to see if that will fix some of the spankers!....thanks for guiding me in the right direction......he asked me how I found out about him.....and I gave him your name.

I have a 2003 VX-69 and the stock slider is TINY. It wasn't even big enough to let the risers spread when I loosen my chest strap. I threw a slider off of a 97 on and it has slowed the openings a bit, but it still comes down fast enough to break your knuckles.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.