Anvilbrother

anyone fly powered parachutes?

Im talking the backpack design. A coworker and his dad bought one and is going to Florida for training this weekend. They look cool up to 3 hour flight times, 0-13k operating range(conditions right), no ratings required. I like the idea of not having to drive 2.5 hours to the dz, and can do it out of my front yard during the week. A couple of radios, and a good sunset canopy ride whenever you want!! They cost about 6-8k with about 10 dollar per hour operating costs. I wonder what the drawbacks to them are?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Im talking the backpack design. A coworker and his dad bought one and is going to Florida for training this weekend. They look cool up to 3 hour flight times, 0-13k operating range(conditions right), no ratings required. I like the idea of not having to drive 2.5 hours to the dz, and can do it out of my front yard during the week. A couple of radios, and a good sunset canopy ride whenever you want!! They cost about 6-8k with about 10 dollar per hour operating costs. I wonder what the drawbacks to them are?

mild case of death?;)

I've kinda' been wondering that, too. Other questions I have are - How hard is it to launch/land? What about physical health? Are there restrictions on places to fly? Cost is a concern, also. Can one be used as transportation for short flight times? Say, maybe 60 miles?

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Have been looking into it for years just don’t have the $$ yet to get stuff. I even thought about selling my Skydiving gear to get in to PPG. I live on a Sod farm so perfect area to fly.

The guys I talked to all recommend getting Risk & Reward a video.

Also here is the PPG site lots of good information on it.
http://www.americanparagliding.com/

Also

http://www.usppa.org/

You have the cost right and I believe training will cost just about as half as much as AFF maybe a little bit more then half.

Edited: Because i can't write:P

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Get to know a rigger. I've seen more then one of those come to the local lofts since the material gets pulled into the fan. :$

We used to have one of the guys come out to our DZ to take off, it looked fairly easy to do, no worse the foot launching a regular paraglider.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The weight limits are huge, 0-5 mph wind it said 15 steps/jog to launch 5-15 almost no effort. The guy that I know that deals for southern skies in florida is doing the training for free if you buy from him. I was told no ratings, stay 5 miles from a-c airspaces? not over congested areas. They go 25-35 mph and if you know what a tail or headwind would do to your groundspeed.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

my friend has the Black Hawk ppg. it seems pretty cool, and i was thinking of going this way too, but then got into a weight shift trike instead. it folds up, and i have an old camper converted into a toy hauler that i drive to fields to launch. the ppg does fit in the back seat of a normal car, or even in the trunk, so much less of a transport issue. but it was the cruising speed that i did not like, and the restriction of fuel amount (if you follow the rules). i am more into "going" somewhere, the flying back home.

It has a 2.5 gallon tank, and can go 3 hours. I dont know where they get 3 hours from if it was sitting on a huge thermal facing the wind at idle, or actually climbing and using the throttle at least half

If money is a problem just get a regular non powered paraglider. I launched last weekend from a 1600 foot mountain and flew for almost an hour. I could have flown longer but i came down because I thought the winds were picking up.

I thought about PPG but then I moved to the mountains and live 15 min from a 4000 foot mountain we fly off.

It has a 2.5 gallon tank, and can go 3 hours. I dont know where they get 3 hours from if it was sitting on a huge thermal facing the wind at idle, or actually climbing and using the throttle at least half

would really depend on the engine. i have a 582 Rotax, 65 HP, with twin Bing carbs...i burn about 3 gallons per hour at 4500 rpm.