Fozz

Another Motorcycle legend Killed

Try this.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7403931.stm

Here's a bio...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dunlop

Kinda' ironic...since I was on my way out to my garage, with a new set of Dunlop knobbies and somehow, felt compelled to stop and take a quick look at the forum.:( It's another sad loss to the sport but at least he went out, doing what he loved and probably....that's how he'd have wanted it.

"T'was ever thus."

roadracing is actually more safe than any other form of motorcycle riding, in general.

Roadracers wear full racing leathers (about 1/4 " thick) which includes armor protecting the spine, shoulders, knees, elbows, etc. Helmets are of course required (full face, heh), as well as heavy duty boots.

Check out what your local motocross rider is wearing next time you see one.

That being said, sometimes no amount of protective gear will prevent a fatality. From that article, it sounds like Dunlop's accident was exacerbated by another rider "clipping" him once he was down.

If he had to crash, i'd much rather my hubby crash on the track than on the street or dirt. the vast majority of road race crashes end up with the rider standing up looking sheepish but walking away unharmed.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

roadracing is actually more safe than any other form of motorcycle riding, in general.

Roadracers wear full racing leathers (about 1/4 " thick) which includes armor protecting the spine, shoulders, knees, elbows, etc. Helmets are of course required (full face, heh), as well as heavy duty boots.

Check out what your local motocross rider is wearing next time you see one.

That being said, sometimes no amount of protective gear will prevent a fatality. From that article, it sounds like Dunlop's accident was exacerbated by another rider "clipping" him once he was down.

If he had to crash, i'd much rather my hubby crash on the track than on the street or dirt. the vast majority of road race crashes end up with the rider standing up looking sheepish but walking away unharmed.

That is a hard one to call...I used to ride motorcross at a national level and the vast majority of injuries were collarbones, dislocations etc

Although I did know one poor dude who was left quadraplegic after a crash in practice. Only 16 YO as well :(

Road racing on the other hand can have some nasty injuries but yes, they are falling on to tarmac witha lot of protection, but also at higher horizontal speed...but often from not as high up as a bad crosser crash due to the large jumps.

The Dunlops were indeed legends.

There is nothing as dangerous in motorsport as the Isle of Man TT races and other Real Road races IMHO though.
These guys knew the risks, and died doing what they loved.

Safer than track racing!?

Trees, buildings and kerbstones Vs run-off areas, gravel traps and tyre walls?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Safer than track racing!?

Trees, buildings and kerbstones Vs run-off areas, gravel traps and tyre walls?

Track racing is known as road racing , BB was referring to road tracks as opposed to dirt tracks.

Two thingS make Road racing (NOT STREET RACING ) more safe than street racing, equipment is one thing but the other and more important thing is RUN OFF,
It often not the fall that does the most damage, it's the deceleration from 200-300km/h to ZERO. hitting shit when you come off it way more painful than sliding through the kitty litter.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Obviously, he was catapulted over the bars and I can tell you from experience...impact velocity is multiplied several times over, in that situation....same with a hi-side. Most injuries in motorcycle racing (most any type), seem to be caused from being hit by your own, or someone else's bike.

I think all racers learn to MLF (Motorcycle Landing Fall), pretty early on and that helps to reduce the damage, done on the initial impact....it's the secondary hits, that usually do you in.
"T'was ever thus."

Track racing is known as road racing , BB was referring to road tracks as opposed to dirt tracks.

Well the terminology must differ across the pond because the NW200 calls itself a road race, and it is carried out on the road, not in a ciruit.

Well the terminology must differ across the pond because the NW200 calls itself a road race, and it is carried out on the road, not in a ciruit.
Who cares what Bum fuck nowhere calls it:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Says a guy from Australia!?:P

Says a guy from Australia!?:P
Absobloodylutely, Austtuckingfalia,
The Lucky Country B| Lucky we are so far away from the Yanks:D:D
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?