shermanator

homemade jumpsuit

Just a quick question, sorry if its been discussed before...

I just aquaired a jumpsuit, like a mechanics jumpsuit, is it possible to stitch it up and make it a jumpsuit for diving... keep in mind, i am an AFF student. thannks for any advise on the matter.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

We have nice yellow overalls for student as a jumpsuit. They call it banana suit :).

We have orange overalls for students - we call them Carrot suits! Ah, the inevitability of it all...:PB|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

The jumpsuit offers a few benfits:

Protects your clothing from dirt and tears.
Has nothing dangling or flaping in freefall.
Does not ride up your legs.
Keeps you warm in winter.
Helps your fall rate. Speeds you up or slows you down.
Gives your buddies a place to grip you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Is the jumpsuit a really necessary piece of equipment or is just a "Looks cool" item?

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, no. You do not 'need' a jumpsuit to make a skydive. It's when you enter in to one of the various disciplines of the sport that, a jumpsuit becomes necessary. I'm going to avoid getting into the whole aerodynamics thing but, I'm just keeping it 'basic'. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Is the jumpsuit a really necessary piece of equipment or is just a "Looks cool" item?

Take it this way. A plain overall may serve you as long as you could find out what kind of jump suite you want to have, You may not know your fall-rate and what discipline you are interested yet.

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, no. You do not 'need' a jumpsuit to make a skydive.

I've been saying this for years !

The man who taught me rigging, wore an old baloon suit from the 70's. He wore it till he retired from skydiving in the mid-90's. He could stay-up with anyone in the sky. Mainly, in his own words; "I'm too cheap to buy a new jumpsuit!" He told me that if you know how to fly your body, a jumpsuit really, doesn't make a difference. I know, I just opened a can of worms here but, the man made a point.

Chuck