leroydb

Skydivers with Communicable Diseases

Agreed.

...devils advocate...

do you carry PPE in your jumpsuit? (fellow jumper lands off and frumps, you land off with them and are only person to start CPR,etc) no equipment=don't bother landing with them and assisting or roll those dice???

Nope. I typically won't land off with them since I don't typically jump with a cellphone either. I would rather land right next to the main hanger, notify people to call EMS while I grab a cellphone and the proper equipment. That way I can get en route to assist properly WHILE properly directing EMS for an accurate and prompt response.

Without prompt and proper response for first responders, then someone's life could be lost while you try to John Wayne it.

The first responder should have been you, not the trained ambulance crew that shows up 20- 30 minutes later.

You would let a brother/sister spin in off the DZ ...ALONE?!?!?!? Laying out there, bleeding, not breathing, scared silly and in pain ...ALONE?
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

In all of my research I have yet to find a case of someone contracting a disease while preforming CPR.

That being said I do carry a CPR mask in my gear bag. If it is wet and not yourse don't touch it.

That'll be $200 please

The fear of disease transmission is one of the more highlighted reasons compression only CPR has started becoming more popular, the idea being that something is better than nothing. Compressions alone will at least keep the O2 in their system pumping and often a person will have enough in the system to keep feeding their brain if BLS/ALS isn't too far removed.
Killing threads since 2004.

The truth of the matter is we live in a world where people are so paranoid about germs that they do things that actively weaken their immune system rather than educate themselves about how to stay healthy and disease free
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

As somewhat of an expert in the field, let me just say that it all starts with the airway. I can assure you, if I'm on the scene of a jumper that goes down, I will establish an airway and move air. I will also do anything else in my power to keep you alive. I can rinse my mouth out later.

Agreed.

...devils advocate...

do you carry PPE in your jumpsuit? (fellow jumper lands off and frumps, you land off with them and are only person to start CPR,etc) no equipment=don't bother landing with them and assisting or roll those dice???

Nope. I typically won't land off with them since I don't typically jump with a cellphone either. I would rather land right next to the main hanger, notify people to call EMS while I grab a cellphone and the proper equipment. That way I can get en route to assist properly WHILE properly directing EMS for an accurate and prompt response.

Without prompt and proper response for first responders, then someone's life could be lost while you try to John Wayne it.

The first responder should have been you, not the trained ambulance crew that shows up 20- 30 minutes later.

You would let a brother/sister spin in off the DZ ...ALONE?!?!?!? Laying out there, bleeding, not breathing, scared silly and in pain ...ALONE?

spoken like a first aid whuffo.

The first thing that should always be done is to contact emergency services and get them on their way. Hanging with the person who is possibly dying, with no way to help them, or getting the needed equipment on hand that would actually save them......yeah, big decision.

As somewhat of an expert in the field, let me just say that it all starts with the airway. I can assure you, if I'm on the scene of a jumper that goes down, I will establish an airway and move air. I will also do anything else in my power to keep you alive. I can rinse my mouth out later.

yup and there is always thing you can do to mitigate problems
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's the problem with people who think they know it all already.....[:/]

It upsets those of us who DO know everything:ph34r::D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

as long as no one gives me something like hiv/aids ill be fine.

yeah me too, I wouldn't want to catch that again.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hmmm you are suggesting someone who is trained should put themselves at risk by making an off field landing and possibly becoming part of the problem. Rather than taking note of where an injured person is. Landing in a safe area contacting help, and then gathering needed personnel and equipment from the DZ to help save that persons life.

Lesson 1 of EMT school
Me before you before everyone else. After all if I get hurt who's going to help me, and I just compounded the problem.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Agreed.

...devils advocate...

spoken like a first aid whuffo.

The first thing that should always be done is to contact emergency services and get them on their way. Hanging with the person who is possibly dying, with no way to help them, or getting the needed equipment on hand that would actually save them......yeah, big decision.

Don't be asinine.

What's not so important is I majored in pre-med and worked as an EMT at a Level I trauma center for three and a half years. What is important is I will not let my brother/sister land out alone. You may be the type of person that would (your choice) ...I'm not.

Whether I can provide timely intervention with twigs, a pullup cord and a pocket knife or just be there to hold and comfort them, I'm gong to land as close to them as I safely can and provide what help I can.

And that's all I got to say about that.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Whether I can provide timely intervention with twigs, a pullup cord and a pocket knife or just be there to hold and comfort them, I'm gong to land as close to them as I safely can and provide what help I can.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Let's just hope that if needs be there is room on the chopper for you as well, should the need arise
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Let's just hope that if needs be there is room on the chopper for you as well, should the need arise

why?

Why, because standard practice here is to make certain that you do not put yourself in danger awsell as the injured party. As has been mentioned in several posts already.
It is a wiser move to land where you can contact an EMS, then go to the site to lend assistance.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If I was in some hypothetical situation – skydiving or not – in which another human collapsed in front of me or I found an unresponsive human, after determining situation was safe to approach; after determining the individual was non-responsive (‘tap, tap, tap’ “ARE YOU OKAY?”), not breathing, and lacking pulse; and after summoning EMS; I would begin CPR – chest compressions (30) and rescue breathing (2). Aka execute American Red Cross CPR training.

In determining if someone’s airway is obstructed, some indication – if one’s observant and it’s not dark – of whether there is blood around the mouth should be possible. HIV has only been found in saliva in very rare cases. For me, the latter is such a small risk that I’m willing to take.

If someone’s actively coughing up blood, they probably don’t need CPR.
If someone is bleeding profusely – spurting – again they probably don’t need CPR.

Depending on situation may be a "wait for EMS/ ambulence situation" or a "attempt to stop blood loss while waiting for EMS situation."

To the original question – no, I don’t specifically want to know what communicable diseases my fellow skydivers have unless I’m planning to have sex with one of them. Otherwise it's not my business. Although if past experiences are any indication, my close skydiving friends usually confide in me if they have a long-term illness, e.g., Hep-C, etc. or it gets around the dz. IRL, I would hope that if someone with a bloodbourne transmissible disease was an active skydiver, that folks at the dz would be supportive (read: not assholes) such that it wouldn’t have to be a secret. Yeah, the real world doesn’t always work that way.

Do think that it’s valuable for each person to think about what they would do and how they would do it if such a hypothetical situation arose.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I'm asinine? That's really scary that you've supposedly had the emergency response training and you would still leave it up to someone else to make sure help is on the way.

Things that make you go hmmmmm......

Tell you what - I'd rather be alone with help on the way than have you sitting next to me holding my hand but unable to do anything to save my life and no one else on the way because no one else knows I need help.

That's just the type of person I am.:S

There are normally multiple people on a load and most DZ's (I think) check to ensure all made it back ok. If that's the norm, then I would land safely near the injured jumper. When they notice, and they should, then help would be on the way.

There are many variables of course but generally, I would land near the jumper.

I have Civilian CPR and military Combat Life Saver training, it might not be much, but the aid that I am able to give that person with in the first few minutes might be the most crucial.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

military Combat Life Saver

"stick 'em"!!! :P

Come on over big boy... I poke ya ;)

:D:D:D

Funny story from STX training before I went to Bosnia:

Introductory lecture on mine awareness:

Instructor: Sergeant X - you and Lieutenant Y have a vehicle casualty and are returning to base on foot. Suddenly, there is an explosion and Lieutenant Y is blown into the air and lands 20 feet from you. Lieutenant Y is bleeding profusely from multiple injuries and is screaming for help. What is the first thing you do?

"Stick him"!!!!

Instructor : Well, I see we have at least ONE Combat Lifesaver in the room!

;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What's not so important is I majored in pre-med and worked as an EMT at a Level I trauma center for three and a half years. What is important is I will not let my brother/sister land out alone. You may be the type of person that would (your choice) ...I'm not.

It's tough to compare how you with your experience might/should act compared to a lay responder in the same situation. For damn sure if you, with your level of experience, land next to someone that's been busted up you'll be able to do a heck of a lot more than your average lay responder.

I doubt you'll argue that getting advanced care there as soon as possible is the best possible scenario, right? In your case you are bringing some of that advanced care with you whereas the best bet for your average person who's taken a few years of CPR is probably to land somewhere they can be sure to be safe and get that advanced care on the way.
Killing threads since 2004.