mattyblast

Serial Numbers

You can find the serial number on the data panel. Where the data panel is located depends on the item. Here are a few that I know off the top of my head...

Canopies - generally located on the center cell at the tail.

Containers -

Javelin - on a flap under the top reserve flap; often tucked into the clear pocket where the packing data card is kept.

Infinity - inside the right "mud flap" or "ring cover"

Talon - sewn onto one of the reserve risers

On a Racer the Date of Manufacture is the serial No. It's on the door covering the reserve pins, on all Jumpshack Canopies (Firebolt, Angelfire etc) it on the data panel sewn into the center cell rib.
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Wings: On flap inside rear of the left side of the harness.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

*searches forums*
*comes up empty*

Hey folks. I need a primer on serial numbers. Where are all the places they're found on containers and canopies?

We'll start with that--I'll probably have follow-up questions. Go easy on me, I'm a newbie.

Based on a number of your posts it sounds like you are thinking about buying some used gear?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Containers: default location is under the reserve pin cover.

Second location is at the top of the back pad: Infinity, Sidewinder, Softie, etc.
Similarly, Rigging Innovations products (Talon, Voodoo, Telesis, Aviator, etc.) have two data panels: center of back panel (folded in with packing data card pocket) and right reserve riser.

Third location is on the inside of the shoulder pad, below and behind 3-Rings: newer Mirages, Vector, etc.

An old method involves sewing labels to the lower, horizontal back strap, still seen on Strong tandem student harnesses.